Ring doorbell not charging

Thanks for the replies. Mine went to the mid 80’s but there was an app update on my phone today. Checked the battery a few hours later and it’s at 100%, go figure!

1 Like

The all new Ring 3 Plus just installed recently. Hardwired with mechanical door chime. The doorbell is not charging. On a side note the chime was working with ring prior to setting up the doorbell with my network, but now, sadly the chime doesn’t work… and of course, still not charging.

There is a part one can order called the Pro Power Kit that comes packed with the Pro doorbell (can be purchased from Ring for $2 if you order the spare parts kit): “_The Pro Power Kit included with your Video Doorbell Pro is a small device that makes sure that enough power is sent to your Ring Doorbell to function. It’s required _ in order for your Ring Doorbell to function properly.” I wonder if this is the answer even though it’s really intended for the Pro version. When I owned the hardwired Nest hello in my past residence, I recall it came with a similar part to ensure it functioned properly.

Has anyone tried this? Mine is on order, I’ll let you know if it fixes the problem.

1 Like

Doubt it my rings hardwired right to transformer no issues. But ironically my rdb1 has stopped working. Not showing hardwired. Charged to 100% reinstalled still showed battery. And dropped to 20% in 15 minutes. It’s only 4 months old. So time for a replacement

The problem I had was the pogo pins inside the unit. If you open the unit you will see 2 brass tabs with the screw hols on the plastic cover. This connects to the pcb through spring loaded pogo pins. I used a screw driver to test the tension of each. One of them had good spring tension, the other felt like the spring was loose or broken inside and therefore not making good contact. I soldered a wire from each pogo pin to the corresponding brass pem nut on the case. After putting it all back together I have a solid power indication. I hope this helps.

1 Like

I just started having this problem after working without issue for 3 years. I just read a post that this maybe due to a recent firmware update from Ring.

I just purchased the Ring Doorbell 3; low and behold a few days later I noticed the same issue about the battery not charging; when the electrician installed the doorbell and I installed the app on my android it did update the firmware. Then I read all the posts about a numerous number of people having the same issue about the battery not charging and how Ring relies upon the bettery to operate. Definitely a firmware issue. Then I read about that over 200K Ring Doorbells 2 had massive recall due to batteries blowing up and person & personal property burning up. With this potentional for law suits I suspect Ring has ordered this latest firmware to not charge the batteries as their remedy. They won’t fix this discrepancy. That is why their latest firmware doesn’t recharge batteries.

I have read several comments. I too am suffering from this. I first installed a doorbell 2 approximately 2-3 years ago. After 9 months or so, the app indicated that the doorbell is on battery, nor HW, as it was when set up. I even plugged it in directly to a 16.5VAC40VA xfmr, and it was not HW still. After calling support several times, finally a “new”" unit was sent. Upon installation, it was working properly. 9 months or so later, no longer HW, battery% dropping. I did install a 2nd wall chime before all of this and asked if this COULD be my problem. Today, I installed a doorbell 3. All appears to be working properly with it for now. And I did disconnect the 2nd wall chime. W will see. I still called into try to get some info. First I was told that if the battery drops below 90%, it will no longer charge. I was told that the 24/40 power supply is to much. Their xfmr in the ring store is 24/48. Hopefully ring will read this and fix. BTW, I’m in Vegas, so no freezing here.

I just did the 20 second reset on my gifted first gen 2 year old video doorbell and initially the power source showed “battery” when before the reset, said hardwired, which it is. Last week I brought the ring in to charge with usb cable then reinstalled, confirmed it was hardwired in app then as the temperature dropped (30’s F) so did battery level. After todays reset the battery strength has increased from 64% to 67% in 30 minutes and the white ring is illuminated on front of the camera. You have to cup your hands around the button in daylight to see the white ring. Insidentally, the RSSI is -37, don’t know if that is good or bad but so far eveything appears good. Very early but it appears to be working as it should. Also I am using this transformer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PFSZHRT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Try taking the doorbell/camera unit off, trim the wires a little more, wrap them both twice around the screws, then tighten them securely. I didn’t have charging or doorbell inside house prior to that, and now, everything is working perfectly.

Battery level continues to drop, now at 25%, was given notice to recharge. Thought ring may have pushed new firmware yesterday when most of country was having login problems.

Yes its Frustratic issue from Ring Doorbell…it was working all way for about 1.5 year and all of sudden not charging when hardwire…what is the solution for this??

This is not a software update issue. This is a hardware issue. Specifically the pogo pins inside the unit https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogo_pin. I soldered wires to bypass my pogo pins but there are other solutions if you can’t or don’t have the equipment to solder.
This is why the washer solution worked for some people. It put pressure on the plastic and flexed the back cover enough to make the pogo pin make contact again.
If you can’t solder a wire then open up your ring by removing the back cover. Test the spring strength of each pogo and see if one of the springs is failing. If not take rubbing alcohol and clean the pogo pins and the brass landing pad on the inside of the back cover. The rounded surface of the pogo mating with a flat surface of the pad only has a little surface area to make contact so any corrosion will cause problems. Also turn the top portion of the pogo pin 90 degrees and that will help get a fresh connection when you put it back together. This fix may not last forever but should last until corrosion/oxidation builds up again.

2 Likes

Muddejp, while your solution may work for some, it may not for others. What puzzles me is why all of a sudden did so many doorbells stop charging? Did all the weak contact springs fail or oxidize at the same time, probably not, which leads me to believe that this is not a 100% hardware problem. Kudos for potential fix but I suspect there is something else going on. I am one of those that bought into the ring security/camera/video doorbell system and I’m not pleased to have invested this much money for a system that does not work correctly. Instead of researching, does anyone know if Ring makes a video doorbell that doesn’t rely on battery for power?

Having the same issue. Doorbell 2 worked perfectly fine for over a year until the aws server crash day. Then from next day status shown as hardwired but battery charge keeps dropping. Tried resetting, manually charging battery to 100% and then insert again but charge still drops about 3% a day. Also tried disabling all motion sensing, snapshots etc essentially making the device just a brick but still battery charge doesn’t go up over the course of a day (at best stays constant). Is this a firmware or ring app issue?

sandycec: A lot of speculation but the exact problem is unknown. Does ring monitor this “solved” thread, I sure hope so. When and what is “aws server crash day”.

Good question - no idea why and how this was deemed solved until unless most people posting here said the solution worked which for me it didn’t. Going to spend another agonizing hour or so with support later today. Will post any updates if I see progress.

This issue is NOT: corroded wires, washers*, bad transformers*, firmware updates, the boogeyman, etc… AND I have tried all of these to avoid taking it apart.

*Test your transformer before replacing it. It is probably just as fine as it was 10-20-30+ years ago. Removing the ring may create enough movement/flex to TEMPORARILY reset the pins. Same goes for adding washers, etc. Even pressing the “doorbell button” could cause enough flex to break or reset contact. This is probably what “fixed” mine the SEVERAL times I tried, until it no longer fixed it. Just like others have already said, it is the internal pins. Anything else is pure coincidence, end of story.

Thanks to the individuals before me who dissassembled and uploaded pictures. When I took mine apart, one spring pin was completely collapsed into its housing, never to return. I suspect solder buildup, or tinfoil, if it works, is only temporary, as the pins will keep receding, never to return. I soldered jumper wires (tinkering and soldering since middle school). There is very little clearance, so plan carefully. As soon as I was done, the white light returned, the app said hardwired.

If/when this finally bites the dust for good… Ring can send me a replacement (out of warranty) each and every time this crap happens. OR I’m leaving for the competition. Too bad they don’t seem to acknowledge the issue, and “Ring 3 not showing hardwired” threads are already popping up, so a real fix/redesign doesn’t seem likely.

This has been happening to me for years. I pull off the doorbell, clean the contacts (which don’t look very dirty to me), spray a little electrical contact cleaner, then reinstall. It works for about a year, then reverts back to battery. I’m sick of messing with it. I’m gonna try the Wyze doorbell.

The nunber in that post is a spoof number. It is not the phone number for ring support.

All support numbers can be found here, https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372

USA is 800-656-1918

Thanks!