Ring doorbell not charging

Hi, my post with regards wired doorbell not charging was to say support fixed my issue by doing a complete reset. Under base cover hold orange button in for 20 secs NOT 5 SECS as stated in the app to reset device. Then do a new install of doorbell in the app, connect to your WiFi , let doorbell do firmware update. I also stated the battery level took 8hrs to start showing an increase again! Since posting my reply I can confirm my battery level has stayed at 100% since i did long reset of 20 seconds.

4 Likes

That is not the solution to this problem. To fix this problem you need to know the source of it. In this case you battery is loosing its charge due to the fact that the ring is wasting more energy performing its daily operations. The ring when hardwired uses a trickle charge to charge the battery and if you ring is recording very frequently then it will drain the battery faster than it can recharge it. This causes the battery to drain and seem like it’s not charging. We think it’s not charging but in fact it is just very slowly and not fast enough to keep up with the power its using. Try lowering the sensitivity of motion and shorten the range of view and you will see the battery start taking a charge again. This is a very slow process so you may want to remove the ring battery and just charge it overnight for a faster charge. My problem was hanging plants and decorations in my front yard were making the ring go off whenever the wind made them move. So if you don’t want to lower the range or sensitivity of the ring, look for things that might be making it go on repeatedly. A doorbell is only a 12 volt current and that is a very slow charge for the battery.

1 Like

Well this worked for me and my battery is still at 100% with all motion settings at high sensitivity and 30 sec recordings . What’s the point in having all these settings if you can’t use them? Since hard reset a week ago my battery has not moved from 100% and all my settings have been on maximum so don’t see why this is not a solution?? If you’re having problems I’d suggest you maybe try a hard reset too!! Good luck as my trickle charge seems to hold battery just fine now = solution to me

1 Like

The “12v is not enough” answer is not correct, sadly. 12v should be plenty to charge pretty much any electronic device. Trickle chargers operate in the 1 to 3 volt range and even that should be enough to charge one of these doorbells. Cell phone chargers are 4 - 6 volts and I would imagine a Ring isn’t using any more power than them.

All the same, most door bell transformers put out more than 12v. I have 19v on the leads at my Ring and it does not appear to be charging. I just installed it, though, so I will wait to see if it catches up. My device updated upon initial set up so that rules out a firmware issue.

If it doesn’t charge I will try a factory reset and see if that helps. I will post my findings. If all else fails I will try the small washer fix but, to be honest, that makes no sense whatsoever. I am getting plenty of contact between my wiring and the Ring terminals.

I had same issue as you! Not anything to do with bad connections . You need to do a hard reset on doorbell. Hold orange button for 20 seconds then release and wait 3-4 mins for doorbell to start up! I was told to delete doorbell in app and then once it’s restarted up and in set up mode add it as a new doorbell and follow install instructions again. Pain having to reinstall everything but your battery will start recharging ( mine took about 10hrs to show battery was charging up again but it’s been over a week now and I’m still at 100% battery. The washer trick is just for bad connection. It must be a hard reset ( orange button in for 20 seconds) not 5 secs as stated in the app ( this came from ring support) .

3 Likes

It may make no sense to you, but it worked for me. It was all electrical contact, did not do a hard reset. or download a new app or any of that. The volt meter originally showed NO connection…so that was the problem in my case… Battery at 100% ever since, so you have a different issue then I had. Different strokes for different folkes.

My door bell 2 is NOT hardwired in. Its been up 2 weeks had a message saying something was draining battery and to change settings I literally turned everything off and yet STILL draining and now CANT charge. Tried different cables and different plugs but nothing happens. How do I charge the flaming thing??

1 Like

That’s fab you’ve sorted it, the more options people get to try and help solve their issues is what’s important and the reason for these forum support pages!

Ok, this is a follow up to my reponse from a couple posts ago. My Ring is hardwired and is charging correctly.

A note, which is why I am following up my prior post. When I first connected my Ring and initialized the app, I received a message in the app that said, “Your ring is not connected to a power source” and I was referred to a couple of external power options. This was not true as I measured 19v at my connections. It took a couple of days for the app to recognize the charge, though.

This thread has taversed a number of different tangents and I apologize for the confusion. I just want to make people aware that, even though the app may say your device isn’t connected, measure your voltage yourself then wait a couple of days.

It Has to be a coincidence because it started happening to mine even bought a new one and it Has to be a firmware issue because the new one is not holding a charge or not charging Just purchased the ring doorbell three and I’m having the same issue

2 Likes

Mine has been hardwired for over a year with no issues I am also reading 19 V at the device connection and the battery seems to drop instead of going up and this was after a new software update called and spoke to ring customer support but since my device was out of warranty they gave me a Discount code purchase the doorbell three same issue so that tells me it is a software or firmware issue

I have a brand new Doorbell 3 just received from Amazon last Weekend. I did the entire setup and install as per the instructions, and had it hardwired with the proper voltage etc. The old “mechanical “ doorbell ringer was connected and operates, the health file shows hardwired, and even the little green charging indicator has the lightning symbol showing, and the battery health ok at 57% down from 100% 3 days ago, and has steadily declined in the last 3 days since new. My wi-fi is showing -51 and good. During the initial setup, there was a firmware update that completed without issue. My concern is I don’t know if the battery is actually charging or if the maybe 10 to 15 motion alarms daily are too much for the battery to keep up with?
I’m going to wait till the end of the week to see what happens, and if it continues to drain, I’ll try the hard reset that has been suggested here by a few others. I also just received 2 Ring stickup battery cameras, with evestrough mounts and 2 solar panels with their mounts, that I have not activated or installed yet. I’m considering sending the whole works back to Amazon if this Doorbell 3 battery situation can’t be solved. I’ve laid out nearly $1000.00 on these new Ring security items, and being a pensioner I can’t afford to keep things that don’t work even when they are brand new! Not to mention the ladder climbs, in the snow, at -10 C, I certainly don’t want to have to do it more than once!!!

2 Likes

Terrible answer from ring team. We know how it is ‘supposed’ to work! The issue is tha the battery is no longer charging on a hardwired ring doorbell. Please give us a real answer or allow us to return the device for a new one since this is definitely a defect on the doorbell and not user error. Terrible customer service!!

2 Likes

Thanks it worked for me! Ring3

I too also just installed the Ring video doorbell 3 plus just a few days ago, four days to be exact and while I also get the hardwired confirmation and signal strength in the low -50 range, my battery is decreasing incrementally everyday. Not a lot (89% on day 4 after 100% when installed) but also not charging which is the issue.

Read through these 48 pages of discontent and experiences and decided to try one of the possible solutions, specifically dazsmith34’s remedy of a 20 second hard reset with the orange button. I also deleted all the ring apps on all the my devices and removed the ring from my router list.

This will reset your dooorbell to setup mode so you need to go through the setup once again. Initially I had a problem with the camera connecting after the hard reset. Did another quick 5 second reset, the doorbell camera started to work fine.

Back to the original issue of the non charging battery. So prior to the reset, it was at 89% and after the reset it was at the same percentage so I let it be based on dazsmith34’s instructions. About 6 hours later, I went into Device Health and wha-la, battery is at 100% so THANK YOU dazsmith34!

So mine shut down and disconnected from the wifi for some reason today, battery was at 38% even though I have it hardwired and it’s on my side door so when we’re in the backyard people can ring, so it gets very few notifications, none at all for three days yet the battery drains like mad!. A few days ago I stopped all recording, motion sensing and let it charge for 3 days and it only got to 42%. So tonight I took it off the wall, reconnected it and now my battery is at 3% from walking to the door and sitting down it dropped 35%? I’m thinking this thing sucks, it never has worked right and no, two washers won’t do anything, I’m getting power to the pins. I went though the setup process again, it has been on the charger for at least 20 minutes and still at 3%. This is the highest maintenance camera I have ever used and never works even though my router is 15’ from it and always fails when I need it.

So now, 1/2 hour later on the charger it read 22% and just checked it again it’s back on 4%!!! Thanks for the update Ring, there is no rhyme or reason to these things, dedicated power it drains, battery power it drains. Shows “hardwired” but won’t charge.

return them while you can, mine are nothing but trouble and never work when

I need them to. SOLVED? I think not

On 10/21/20, I stated that the 20 second hard reset fixed the problem. It did for 3 days, now it’s back to not recharging.

Ring R&D needs to take a look into these problems, same complaints have been around for enough time that it deserves attention.

2 Likes

Hi, don’t panic just have a look in a few days, like you said hard reset worked for me for well over two weeks and then mine started dropping percentage again but then it catches up with itself again and mine has not gone below 90% and then recharged back up again. Don’t reset it again just check it every now and again and hopefully like mine it will go up again

1 Like

Ring by default won’t charge until it drops below 90% It is documented in help files.

1 Like