No Live View

For me the data saver is off and I am still having issues with live view. Also I keep having to reset the connection of my device. This morning I was getting notified of the motion and later this morning it has completely stopped. It is not sensing motion or letting me do live view. I am starting to regret this purchase.

If anyone sees this, I have the exact same problem, but the proposed solution is ineffective, since I’m using an iPhone, and “low data mode” is already turned off. Any other suggestions? The live view never works, even on full signal wi-fi or data, and it defeats the purpose of having the thing.

I had the same issue whenever tried live view through my company’s wifi. When I disconnect from that wifi I can access live view.

How do I turn off Data Saver?

How do I do this? I’m having the same issue and can’t seem to locate an option to ‘turn off data saver’?

NO LIVE VIEW turned off data and still no live view. Worked with mt internet provider and ring for hours. New roughter and wifi extender. Upgraded to ring 3 doorbell, and nothing. I have been waiting for ring to get a fix (3) weeks). STILL NADA! Guess it’s time to send this ALL back! I have a backdoor camera floodlite with the same problem!!! JUNK!

I have the same problem. I am using a Galaxy S20 with Android 10 and, everytime that I click on the camera inside the app, it goes to the live view and crashes. I cannot see the live view or the photos that fill the gap.

Someone stole my cat yesterday and I am not being able to see it as the person didnt went thru the area that would trigger an event. I want to see the pictures that fill the gaps.

FIX THIS RING. This is pathetic.

I get motion alerts but everytime I try to open live view to see what’s going on, it fails to connect. Live view only works when it doesn’t follow an alert or if I open it after sometime has passed following the alert. It makes the alert useless if I can’t view what’s going on in real time. I started having issues once the free Ring Protect Trial expired. Everything worked fine before. I think it’s Ring’s ploy to get me to sign up.

I have the same issue. No more live view after trying period expired. It was working fine with no issue during try.

Hey there, neighbors! Video connection concerns are often related to wifi, mobile device, or Ring app communication variables. The best first thing to check is your wifi signal strength, or RSSI, which can be found in the Device Health section of your Ring app. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

Removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a quick way to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your mobile device. On your mobile device, try testing video on wifi only, and then on data only, to see if either connection is more efficient. Please also ensure bluetooth and VPN is disabled.

Trying out the Rapid Ring app might also improve live view connection, as the Rapid Ring app is designed for the quickest access to live video. Feel free to also check out our Community post for more tips on troubleshooting live view.

If this concern persists despite trying the steps above, and mentioned throughout this thread, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

No, its something Ring has done. Nothing has changed on my end except I can tell the app has been tampered with because it has a slightly different look and configuration.

I have removed then re-installed the app. Installed the rapid app and my RSSI is -38. There is nothing wrong on my end and live view isn’t working on wifi.

What I did find with your troubleshoot tips is now I cant access live view with wifi enabled. I literally have to go to settings and disable wifi and use cell data only to live view the app. If I do attempt live view on wifi, the app locks up and I cant X out, I can only go to the open apps view on my phone, swipe it closed then re-open it. What the heck have you people done now? My wife’s phone app is also messed up now. A samsung S-9 and a samsung S-10 +. This is no coincidence. Why cant Ring just admit they have screwed the app up and tell us they are working on a fix?

People buy these devices to make life better and easier, not to have to constantly troubleshoot and be annoyed by them.

Can anyone reading this suggest a camera that just works like this one is supposed to? This Ring Floodlight is like carrying a bag of hammers around for no reason. I will smile the day it goes in the garbage. Even the spell checker on this site is aggravating!

1 Like

@UncleDavie wrote:

I get motion alerts but everytime I try to open live view to see what’s going on, it fails to connect. Live view only works when it doesn’t follow an alert or if I open it after sometime has passed following the alert. It makes the alert useless if I can’t view what’s going on in real time. I started having issues once the free Ring Protect Trial expired. Everything worked fine before. I think it’s Ring’s ploy to get me to sign up.

It’s not a ploy to get you to sign up. I’ve had my Floodlight cam for almost a year now and that’s just how it (doesn’t) works. Mine has never been able to live view while a recording is going on. It’s about as dumb as it gets. Half of the point of having something like this is to be able to see what just set off the notification. A visitor is already at your door long before you can live view, or an animal or perpetrator can be long gone. The only thing its good for is a “dumb alarm” any motion detector can do and to see later what set it off. I know when my wife comes and goes and if anyone else came around my house while I was gone. Thats something, but not all of what I expected from the device.

If you are in your trial period, I recommend sending it all back. My floodlight camera cant even read a vehicle license plate 30 feet away from it. I didn’t realize this until I was well past my trial period. And, flipping flying insects will set the recording off at night no matter what setting I have it on…except OFF.

To prove my own theory, I signed up for a month of Ring protect service, and lo and behold, the instant I signed up it started to work. Now I can connect to live view when a motion is detected every time. Since it’s passed the return window, I can’t return the thing. I wouldn’t be so angry if they had documented this; at least I would know what i was getting into and could make an informed decision. I know $3 a month is not a big deal, but I feel scammed.

I installed the Rapid Ring app and it worked, but why do I have to use another app to view my live view?? Doesn’t make any sense. Im a tech wiz so I’ve crossed all “T’s” and dotted all “I’s”

@UncleDavie wrote:

To prove my own theory, I signed up for a month of Ring protect service, and lo and behold, the instant I signed up it started to work. Now I can connect to live view when a motion is detected every time. Since it’s passed the return window, I can’t return the thing. I wouldn’t be so angry if they had documented this; at least I would know what i was getting into and could make an informed decision. I know $3 a month is not a big deal, but I feel scammed.

Interesting, because in their plan descriptions, real time video with live view is included for free. So, it should not require a plan to see live view.

I tried to check if my plan expired (Ring gave me a year as a consolation for my disappointment with the product) but I cant find anywhere in my profile, settings, etc. to tell me this.

I still cannot see live view on either app while on wifi, but when I go to history, there is a record of me going to live view with a video of what I should have been able to see when I did!

I have to turn off wifi then I can see live view. That is totally screwed up, who wants to have to use cell data at their own house!!! Plus, thats 2 more taps to get to it!

Idiotic

Try turning off Snapshot capture and Rich Notifications. It appears the picture taking and uploading is interfering with the live view.

Try turning off Snapshot capture and Rich Notifications

@ftjeffries wrote:

Try turning off Snapshot capture and Rich Notifications. It appears the picture taking and uploading is interfering with the live view.

Nope, trying to live view either from the dashboard, device or notification just locks the app up even with those off. It will go to the screen where it tells you to “tap here” to go to live view and when I tap that, the little loading circle starts then freezes. Sometimes I cant even close the app until my phone tells me the app is not responding.

Turn off wifi and live view works fine. They have clearly jacked with the app in an update, broke it and haven’t fixed it. So now, the already sluggish live view that allowed whatever triggered the motion to pass by before I could see it, is rendered even more useless as I have to take the extra 2 taps of turning off wifi to even begin the option of live view. Completely useless unless I just want to randomly see the outside of my house without looking out a window…maybe to see the trees sway? The birds? Plus, I am forced to use cell data…at my house that I have top notch wifi in.

Calling customer service was a waste of time, the representative (I suspect not U.S. based) was not able to help other than the obvious hokey pokey of turning everything off then back on, removing and reinstalling the app…add the second app…I have already done that…so she tried to get me to someone higher up the tech tree. I sat on hold twice for long periods of time and never was connected to anyone else. The rep was apologetic and nice but I got no resolution to this problem. There WAS NO complete customer service.

Hi neighbors! There was recently an incident reported on Status.Ring.com, in regards to live view being unable to connect. This has since been resolved as of 12/8/2020 at 11:40 UTC, as mentioned on the status page. If you are still experiencing live view concerns, check out our Community post for live view troubleshooting steps.

For further assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Really?

Marley, I don’t think you are even reading what we write here. I listed all the things I troubleshooted before, the entire hokey pokey. I wont repeat it here, it doesn’t seem to matter that I write it anyway.

I have checked everything on the troubleshooting list, much of which involves cell data…and my problem is I can only use cell data to live view! it’s not just that, I cant even have wifi turned on at all.

The direct problem I have is that. I cant use my own wifi in my own home where the wifi is ripping fast speed and only two people here to use it…its under-used if anything.

I HAVE called for customer support only to be put on extended, repeated holds for an advanced technician twice and was never provided one and was recommended I call in the mornings instead. The treadmill Ring puts us on to “troubleshoot” these devices is infuriating. It’s Ring that needs to troubleshoot, the app was working (albeit not useful for actual live security after a notification of motion) and then the appearance of the app changed and now its not working right. Ring “updated” the app and messed it up. Maybe someday “voila” it will work just like it stopped working…

The good news is I stopped relying on it for anything serious not long after I installed it. It’s merely a cute novelty with lights. But hey, it DOES record bugs flying around at night and the spiders that try to get them…thats kinda cool…if one is bored…