Force Firmware to Update on Ring Video Doorbell Pro

Mine finally says up to date. Not sure if that means it is really up to date, I would prefer to the see the version, But hey…it is a change.

1 Like

It looks like ring pushed out a patch to fix this overnight. My doorbell is now showing “up to date” and the snapshot feature is working.

Tom L, I seen your message about me being silly and thanking me for it and glad you got your doorbel pro working now with the latest update, I updated my Transformer with a Lows store bought one 24V 20VA even though Ring recammends 16V 30VA 24V at 20VA should be plenty and I have had my doorbel for about 6 days now and still have the original firmware, they tried pushing a update yesterday but it never went through because it still says 1.16.00272 and snapshot not available yet.

I’m keeping the sucker and if the thing updates it updates , if it don’t then oh well! lol! it rings and alerts me of motion so that is all I need, who cares if I can’t take snapshot, that is what screencap is for on my phone… :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope Ring gets there stuff togeather because it sure is a mess right now…

Okay as I was going over the plans and thinking why we are seeing problems updating this I balieve I may know what is going on :wink:

This is just a theroy of mine and who knows if it is factual?

but being the doorbell is in trial mode for I guess 20 somthing days or whatever and is why some have waited 22 days before seeing a update.

if you look at the basic version of the plan you get snapshot so you won’t get this until the trial ends and your plan becomes active then you should see the update.

the server that ring probley uses allows the firmware to be pushed when your doorbell comes off trial mode.

Here is the screenshot I took of the plans.

I bet the Techs don’t even realize this if my theroy is correct :wink:

I have a gut feeling it is :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue:

****I included a attachment to the right of this****

I just received my firmware update overnight. I put it up to replace my doorbell 2 around a month ago. So it’s rolling out slowly. I was already on the plus plan though. My snapshot is also working now.

I’d have to say your theory is incorrect.
I purchased 2 bells for my home about a month ago.
When I installed them one bell updated immediately during install and Snapshot Capture worked.
I installed the second doorbell and the update didn’t work and Snapshot didn’t work either.
I messed around for days on my own and via ring Online Support (Overseas and Useless).
Finally I dialed the 800 number during the evening and spoke with a guy on the West Coast, he was awesome.
We went over everything and tried numerous things, I also informed him my Transformer was in spec with Rings requirements.
He also worked with the high level support and still there was no luck.
Ultimately they sent me a new doorbell and it updated and worked right away when I installed it.

1 Like

BoyGreenYuss

Well! you sure made sure to quickley point out it’s wrong…lol! but it is a theory, I just don’t see how some of these are not updating and others are because there all built the same?

It’s like there write protected or they shipped out a bunch of prototypes instead of the original doorbells.

I do know my chime updated right after I set it up but the doorbell just acting like it was dropped on it’s head or somthing…LOL!

I do find it odd they are including snapshot in the basic version and not on the free one, I signed up for the Basic after my trial runs out.

SMH! I guess we will never know what the problem is but as always the consumer gets the blunt of it every time.

@BoyGeenYuss wrote:
I’d have to say your theory is incorrect.
I purchased 2 bells for my home about a month ago.
When I installed them one bell updated immediately during install and Snapshot Capture worked.
I installed the second doorbell and the update didn’t work and Snapshot didn’t work either.
I messed around for days on my own and via ring Online Support (Overseas and Useless).
Finally I dialed the 800 number during the evening and spoke with a guy on the West Coast, he was awesome.
We went over everything and tried numerous things, I also informed him my Transformer was in spec with Rings requirements.
He also worked with the high level support and still there was no luck.
Ultimately they sent me a new doorbell and it updated and worked right away when I installed it.

to this guy here! I am going to say you are correct sir and my theroy is wrong! :wink: I chated to support and they walked me through steps of troubleshooting and we tried everything and now they are sending me a new doorbell uni and I have to sendthe other one back with in 30 days, I just hope this one updates.

Sir you are correct and I stand wrong! and it takes a good man to state when his theroy is wrong! lol! Thanks in advance for getting me to look more in to this and all I have to say is if your all’s unit don’t update call or chat support but be home when you do ;)… don’t be at work!

also they pay for everything for the replacment and they pay for the old part to be shipped back to them.

They want you happy and with a working device and that is great customer support :slight_smile:

Does Ring actually state the current firmware version anywhere? Seems like a smart, useful, pretty common sense and standard thing for a software company to do, but I can’t find it anywhere. I have one spotlight camera “Up To Date” and a Ring Doorbell Pro that previously worked just fine but is now having issues, which is on 2.1.01005. So I have NO clue what firmware my spotlight camera is on, and NO clue what version my doorbell SHOULD be on. Seems pretty rediculous to me, and such an easy fix… publish current firmware version numbers and display what the “Up To Date” firmware version is along side the “Up To Date” status. You’d think they’d have this easy stuff figured out by now…

on 3rd ring pro, same firmware, never shows up to date , and no snapshot capture,hard reset several times deleted app re installed bla bla bla numorous phone calls, suppose to hear from there advanced tech team not gonna pay for any monitering if it dont work getting frustrated

That doesn’t sound promising as they’re sending me a new one now. But they didn’t ship me the new one until I replaced my transformer,because they thought is was a power issue , which was actually difficult due to it being in the attic. It was already a 16v 30 va but it’s never been changed & it is old. But no luck, disabled my wifi mesh system,because they said it wouldn’t work on my system,however my back door ring works fine & my pro just won’t update but technically “works”

I’m very happy to say that I just received my replacement ring pro for the one stuck on firmware 1.16.00272. I installed my new pro & added it in the app. It started on firmware 1.16.00267, the 1st thing it did was update the firmware !!

1 Like

So how did you force the firmware update ? And numerous calls no reply from there advanced team still no firmware update and no snapshot I’m done I think and gonna order a nest

Didn’t have to have it forced, after it powered up & I added it to the app, it automatically did the firmware update successfully on it own

I just received my 2nd doorbell from ring and I hooked it up and after getting it reconised from my phone through setup it had same version so I was like crap! so I hit the button on the side of the oorbell to put in back in setup mode and it said it was installing a update and so I was like omg! im sorry and was like ill wait!..lol!.. then 10 or 15min later I hit the button again and it went through setup again and after I was done I checked and all behold it says UP TO DATE!.. can I say Pass Out Now!..:laughing::laughing::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::laughing::laughing:

Still nothing but a tech telling me there still working on issue no timeframe to get fixed

speedydog5
New Neighbor

‎01-28-2020 06:01 AM

Re: Force Firmware to Update on Ring Video Doorbell Pro

Still nothing but a tech telling me there still working on issue no timeframe to get fixed

Dude! you need a new doorbell module! I don’t know if there feeding you bull crap or what but it works! I will vouch for you if I have too to get you help!

I don’t know if you can PM me on here or not but other wise hit me up and label the subject Ring DoorBell and Ill know who you are and we can work somthig out to get you going.

I will attach a pic of what your stuff should show…, I don’t think I have a before pic but I ordered my first doorbell unit from Ring and it would never update but as soon as I connected the new one to my roughter it was installing the newest version and now says up to date!

Ring Firmware Update.png

i still have nothing except they tell me its been flagged for there advanced tech and they have no idea when the fix will come wont send me another unit cause i,m on my third ive told them other people had fixed with a new doorbell totally un acceptable

I was stuck on firmware 1.16.00272 & going thru the forums & on the internet I found that many people were stuck on the same as well. I did everything they asked,new transformer & shut down my wifi mesh system because they said that was the problem…it didnt work.
Ring sent me a new pro that started on firmware 1.16.00267. Upon powering it up with my wifi mesh system in full operation, the new pro updated right away & is working perfectly.
I think the 1.16.00272 firmware has caused the problems & essentially locked the devices with it.

well it seems every unit i had 1.16.00272 firmware, i,m guessing my first unit didnt and i,m gonna try and get a 4th unit sent out