Force Firmware to Update on Ring Video Doorbell Pro

What is the latest firmware number?

Thanks

Have no clue.
My neighbor is at 2.1.01005. I am at 1.16. we installed within a week of each other. There has been no change to either.

I’m beginning to think that some of us have RING Pro devices that the Chip-Set will not except the new Firmware 2.*** RING support is clueless on how to fix this problem. This removing re-adding … is not cutting it. But then again from other threads I’ve read people are having a lot of issues with the new 2.*** Firmware. I see other lawsuits in this companies future :angry:

Mine is stuck on the same firmware but it works perfectly. So I’m in no rush to get it upgraded. It wasn’t too long ago that people were having seriously too much detection from it. I haven’t seen any new posts recently though but I’m good on the old firmware

Yeah, I’d be fine staying on the old firmware if mine worked correctly but it doesn’t. I can’t get the photo capture function to work and Ring told me this was due to my firmware being outdated.

I’ve talked & and chatted to 4 different support people & and all 4 times I got a different answer. The last guy told me they were rolling back the snap shot feature because it was not working on all pros. The funny thing is, my old pro that was only 3weeks old was replaced due to a bad wifi radio & and it worked perfect till I got the new one. Now on my replacement the firmware wont update & and no snapshot feature(which is my favorite feature of the ring doorbells). My sister just got a ring pro this week on 1/8/20 & and guess what? firmware up to date & and the snapshot working. I got a old batch or bad chipset as a replacement. I’ll be calling as soon as I’m off work.

Just a thought, but is there something about your router/firewall/wifi infra that is blocking a firmware update. It might be worth trading notes on what their setup is, detailed settings perhaps.

My ring pro appears to be up to date. It is the version that comes with multiple colour face plates. Except it doesn’t say Up To Date in the app.

My wifi & router is Apple airport extreme based, & nothing special about it. The ring pro is on the main Wifi at present and in my todo list I plan to move it to the guest wifi as part of isolating all my IoT devices away from the main network, just haven’t done that yet.

1 Like

This came up during a support call but the support person stated all connectivity appeared to be fine, however ring does have specific ports that need to be open according to this site
https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/205385394-The-Protocols-and-Ports-Used-by-Ring-Devices
I have made these changes in my firewall and there has been no difference.

I do have a whole house mesh router system…but the previous ring pro just died & went off line 1 day but worked with no problems & the new ring pro works except no snapshot feature & thats because it wont update the firmware. My back door older ring video doorbell works perfectly with the snapshot feature & it’s the farthest away from the nearest wifi point.

For you people having a lot of issues with your RING Pro I want to ask … Where did you buy your doorbell at? I got mine at B&H Photo. I’ve read other threads with people commenting this is where they got theirs also. Just curious

B&H just before Christmas. Mine works fine. But firmware is not up to date. As long as it works, I’m good.

I have had my ring dorrbell pro for about 20 days and it has never shown an up to date message in firmware field, currently shows 1.16.00272. Also video snapshot cature has never worked as well. I have called into ring support twice with no success in solving my issues. Is there a way to escalate beyond this first level of support. Starting to loose faith in Rings ability to solve these issues.

I called again today, talked with a ring agent & told him I didn’t want this pro anymore,I wanted one that was known good working. He said he escalated me to level 2 & I would be contacted in 24 to 48 hrs

Will you let us know what they tell you?

Update: I talked to RING support today regarding snapshot video capture feature not working and the device being stuck on firmware 1.16.00272. After some more failed attempts by support to force a fireware update they informed me there is a known issue with firmware not updating and that they are working on a fix, no eta. They also stated that someone would followup with an email once a resolution was achieved.

I also asked the customer service rep why RING does not post these types of details to the community message board. I suggested that posting and acknowleging an issue could save RING support from needing to troubleshoot a problem that there is no current solution for and thus wasting customers and supports time in the process. Not sure if that suggestion will get any traction. Hopefully the Forum managers and moderators will see this message and can offer some additional insight.

Tom L

So I returned my doorbell that was stuck on firmware 1.16 and just received a new one that was on firmware 1.15 when I received it. Within 30 minutes it’s updated to the latest and greatest software.

Tom L, mine is the same firmware number and cannot be updated either. From reading the post after yours, it seems the only way currently to correct the issue is to return the device and have Ring send a replacement. Let us know if anything changes and thanks.

They won’t replace mine until I put a new transformer in. The rep I chatted with thinks I have low power & says that’s why it won’t update. I said do you guy monitor the forums? Many people are having this same problem & ring has acknowledged that there is a problem. I hope it is the transformer so I dont have to call back. I’m suspicious, thinking on the manufacturing level that theres probably thousands of pros with this issue.

I have a pro that won’t update either. I’m using the power adapter that’s made by Ring and powers it fine. So I don’t think just changing your transformer will fix the issue. I haven’t had time to bother since it’s working as needed for me right now. But I’m sure I’ll be calling them at some point. Let us know if it solves it for you. Good luck.

Update: I have good news, my ring doorbell pro finally updated, no longer stuck at 1.16.00272. Snapshot capture working and firmware now says up to date. I’m guessing they did something on their end but don’t know for sure. So after 22 days or so and 4 support calls all is working. All I can offer others is jus be persistent and patient. It appears they can fix this but just takes multiple calls and resets. Obviously the snapshot capture not working is directly related to firmware not updating .

My recommendation would be to focus your support call on the firmware not updating, keep it simple and everything else falls into place. They obviously can fix this without replacing unit. Good luck everyone hop this helps.

Tom L

1 Like