Different Chime Tones based on which doorbell or camera activated

I have only just bought the Ring system, 2 video door Bells and a chime.
Immediately I wanted to set different sounds for each doorbell so when I couldn’t see how to do it I searched the community forum.
I notice this has been an ongoing topic for a few years now.
Many people have asked for this functionality and from what I can see/read it should not be a difficult coding solution.
The mods/ Ring appear to ignoring this issue which is really poor so I would like to ask them directly.
‘Why can we not set a different chime for each device?. Are Ring looking at this at all in a future firmware upgrade?’
Considering the £50 doorbells I am replacing have this functionality it is really poor that this is not a standard feature.

Literally just put a new ring doorbell into my cart and thought I should check if I could use 2 and found this thread. I can’t believe that two different sounds isn’t possible.
I just found out a few days ago that ring alarm cannot be partitioned. If these issues aren’t resolved soon, I will look for a different system before I spend any more money on ring. It’s too bad because I really like the cameras and the app.
Both these should be pretty easy to change if ring wanted to.

1 Like

This would seem like a very quick and easy programming change. Why do you make so many haters for things like this Ring? We really want to like you.

2 Likes

Wow! I just setup the system and found out that it’s still not available! Please add the feature, Ring.

2 Likes

I would like a different ring sound for each doorbell that rings through a single chime pro. With the same ring tone I don’t know which doorbell is ringing.

1 Like

I was going to buy a second Ring doorbell for my garage, but now I will wait until they sort this out.

1 Like

I’ve just purchased a second doorbell for our side door. I can change the ring tone on my phone so I can tell which door has been rung, but as noted by everyone above, I cannot change the tone on the chimes. This really should be a very simple thing to sort, please fix it, Ring!

1 Like

Original post is three years old - confirmed with tech support that this issue hasn’t been resolved.

This feature would be incredibly helpful and here’s why (real story): I currently have three ring doorbells - front door, side door, and back door. My son woke me at 3am the other night to tell me he heard someone at the front door (the alerts on my wife’s phone were drowned out by the fan in our room). I grabbed my sidearm and approached the front door (standard practice in Albuquerque, NM sadly). As I get there, my wife yells across the house (she is giving me the play-by-play from her phone) that this upstanding gentlemen has now moved to the side door. I quickly run to the other side of the house as my wife grapples with gathering the kids AND trying to tell me this gentleman’s location. By the time I get to the side door, my wife yells again that he is at the back door. Once again, I rerouted and headed to the back door. One hard push on the dated back door would’ve allowed him entry, however I was there just in time to confront him with my cold steel friend. Thankfully, no one was hurt and the gentlemen (extensive criminal history littered with aggravated burglary) was taken away.

This only played out the way it did because of my wife and I’s coordinated effort to locate/confront the ‘bad guy.’ However, it was a two-person operation, which is not ideal. One centrally located Chime would’ve allowed my wife to focus solely on ushering the kids to safety while I (with the help of the Chime) would focus on stopping the threat. With the current Chime features (a single tone telling notifying me of ‘detection’ somewhere), I’m left guessing which way to go and crossing my fingers that I’ve chosen wisely - that choice could be the difference between everyone’s safety and something awful.

I’m not going to say this is ‘ridiculous’ or ‘stupid’, but I will say that this feature would be greatly appreciated. In some cases, it may truly make the difference. Thank you!

3 Likes

Just added a new doorbell at our gate to discover this problem, seriously??? Its not that hard to do, I am a firmware engineer, to implement this would take may a couple of hours.

Now considering selling this stuff on eBay and get something that works, I need this feature!

2 Likes

I’d like to add my name to the list of those who believe it is ridiculous that we can’t have multiple chime alarms for multiple doorbells. I sure hope they fix this soon as I invested a lot of money in Ring for my home!

2 Likes

Currently, multiple doorbells can be linked to one chime device, but there is no way to set different chimes for each doorbell. Add the ability to choose one chime for the front door, and a different chime for the back door. I’m not talking about the app notifications, but the audible sound coming from the chime device. This seems like a very basic function that has been overlooked.

2 Likes

So, I hope no one is holding their breath on this! I started pushing for this back in January of 2019. This is coming up on FIVE YEARS now. I eventually gave up, dumped my Ring products and went another route altogether. After paying roughly $600 for two Pro doorbells (at the time), some chimes in addition to an annual ~$100+ subscription, I was pretty annoyed. My home was built in 1961. The original mechanical doorbell could even do this.

2 Likes

Astonishing this isn’t possible. I was just about to buy multiple Ring Doorbells exactly so that I could know what door my visitor was at. Thank god I didn’t buy them. Will find a different supplier - can anyone suggest a good alternative that has this essential feature.

2 Likes

My 91-year-old mother-in-law, who has mobility challenges, wishes to upgrade the traditional doorbell on her front door to a second Ring doorbell. This change is prompted by her inability to reach the door promptly and her desire to be notified when the mail arrives. As unique chime support is not available on the Ring chime, I’ll replace the existing doorbell and purchase the more cost-effective Arlo branded alternatives for her front door, which have had this feature for YEARS.

2 Likes

I also agree. Even the oldest doorbell ringers had different tones for the front and back doors! One bell for back door, two for front. This an important gap in Ring Chimes that should have been in the original product. Please fix this asap!

2 Likes

Adding my voice to this request. This is basic functionality that should have been addressed long ago.

1 Like

I need this feature also. Front door vs. Back Door. C’mon guys; just do it.

1 Like

Adding my surprise and frustration that this basic feature request is still not added after 4 years. I just paid $200+ for your products and I can’t understand how you are the name of the game for video doorbells and have still not added such as common-sense and basic feature.

You should be able to do this with a software update tomorrow if you wanted to. Just do it!

1 Like

Please add feature that allows to have different notification sound from Ring chime for floodlight and ring door bell for motion alert

1 Like

Based on all the reviews, ease of implementing this functionality, and 5 years or so of requests, it appears Ring doesn’t care about it’s customers and is purposely trying to force people to buy more products. Just fix this Ring. Stop being GREEDY. Also, has anyone in this community found a better company than Ring that can do everything for inside and outside video, doorbells, home alarm system with motion detectors, door/window sensors/panic buttons, etc. (like Ring does only better, and also solves the issue in this post)? Thanks for any advice.