Can't connect to Ring Network

Hi. I’ve had a Ring system (doorbell and two video cameras) for the past few years and it worked great. I recently changed my wifi name and password, and now I can’t connect the Ring system to the wifi.

Products:

1 Ring Video Doorbell Pro

2 Ring Stick Up Cams

Here’s what happens:

I open the Ring app on my phone and I can see that all three products are unconnected to my wifi. So I start by trying to connect the doorbell. I click “reconnect this device” and it asks whether my wifi network or password recently changed. I click “Yes, it changed.” The app tells me to press and release the small button on the side of my doorbell. I do this, and click “continue.” I get a message saying “Ring wants to Join Wifi Network Ring-13de82.” I click “join” and get an error message saying “Unable to join the the network RIng-13-de82.” This keeps happening. (Side note: Even after I push the button on the side of my doorbell, the light on the front of the doorbell is not spinning like it does in the little video on my phone’s RIng app.) Then I get a screen telling me to go to Wifi settings on my phone and join the Ring network that way. But when I go to settings, there is no Ring network among the wifi choices.

Any advice?

Thanks.

1 Like

@KFinch39 wrote:

Hi. I’ve had a Ring system (doorbell and two video cameras) for the past few years and it worked great. I recently changed my wifi name and password, and now I can’t connect the Ring system to the wifi.

Products:

1 Ring Video Doorbell Pro

2 Ring Stick Up Cams

Here’s what happens:

I open the Ring app on my phone and I can see that all three products are unconnected to my wifi. So I start by trying to connect the doorbell. I click “reconnect this device” and it asks whether my wifi network or password recently changed. I click “Yes, it changed.” The app tells me to press and release the small button on the side of my doorbell. I do this, and click “continue.” I get a message saying “Ring wants to Join Wifi Network Ring-13de82.” I click “join” and get an error message saying “Unable to join the the network RIng-13-de82.” This keeps happening. (Side note: Even after I push the button on the side of my doorbell, the light on the front of the doorbell is not spinning like it does in the little video on my phone’s RIng app.) Then I get a screen telling me to go to Wifi settings on my phone and join the Ring network that way. But when I go to settings, there is no Ring network among the wifi choices.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Try resetting the device by holding the button for 30 seconds

Thanks for the reply. I tried that and it did not work. Any other suggestions?

I know this is from July but I am wondering if you found any solution? The exact same thing you are describing is happening to me. I also have a Ring Pro. Cannot join the network, and when it tells me to manually join in my WiFi settings, there is no such network found.

Hi @Sandal. For this concern, I’d suggesting resetting the Doorbell by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. From there, you’ll want to set it back up in the Ring App by following the steps under Set Up a Device. If you’re unable to complete the setup process after the reset, I would recommend reaching out to our support team directly so they can look into this more closely for you. Our support team can be reached at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I have had the same problem with my Ring Doorbell Pro. Worked perfectly for 6 days then went offline for no apparent reason and my iPhone cannot find the ring network as it did when I originally set it up. I have now spent nearly 3 hours on the phone to Ring.

I have:

1. Had the doorbell professionally wired in by an electrician
  2. Rebooted the cable modem numerous times
  3. Reset the doorbell numerous times
  4. Turned off the circuit breaker i.e. the power numerous times
  5. Deleted the doorbell from the app and started from scratch numerous times
  6. Deleted and installed the app numerous times
  7. Turned off cellular data +/- bluetooth numerous times
  8. Ring told me to have the relay (white rectangular device) wired in. Didn’t need it but I did it and it made no difference.

Then the doorbell drove me mad as it was speaking and asking me to set up it every couple of hours so now I have switched it off again.

Ring are now sending me another unit but I am guessing the same is going to happen with the new one. I have a gut feeling it will set up OK but if for some reason it ever goes offline again then I will be back to square one.

P.S. I have 385 mbits/sec download speed and >100 mbits/sec by the doorbell. Do you think it is a 2.4/5 GHz thing?

Hi there, @pimeye. You’ve certainly covered all the proper steps here. The Ring setup network for initial peering should not be impacted by your wifi network, although, the 2.4 Ghz wifi connection is often more efficient over distance and through exterior walls. The replacement should work, but if it does not, the only thing I’d add is trying on another mobile device entirely, if possible. Feel free to let us know how it goes! :slight_smile: