Alexa can't control floodlight cam wired pro? - "This device is not currently supported"

Just bought 4 floodlight cam wired pro’s and installed them around our property.

I’d like to be able to turn these on and off through Alexa using voice commands, but when I try and create the routine, apparently “This device is not currently supported”.

As Amazon own Ring, this seems strange to me. Anybody have any idea if this is the case, or I’m doing something dumb?

1 Like

Having the same issue. Quite bad user experience given that Ring is owned by Amazon. Can someone please look into this?

Has anyone been experiencing some cracking and popping noises coming from the ring floodlight cam wired pro? Ring is sending me a replacement device the camera is working completely fine everything loads super fast when I use live view but it is just making the cracking and popping sound

1 Like

Hi @user12752. I’m glad to hear you’re receiving a replacement device, as your Floodlight Cam shouldn’t be making any sort of noises like you’re describing. I don’t want to speculate on what could be causing the sound and give any wrong information, but it could be hardware related.

If any other neighbors experience a concern like this with their Ring device, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Did anyone figure this out? I just bought five different ring cameras with lights and expected to be able to turn them on and off with Alexa based on this article:

But when I say, “Alexa turn on horse camera light.”
She replies, “Turn on is not supported currently.”

How do people get around this?

Hi @chippwalters. The Help Center article you shared only applies to Ring Smart Lighting. Although some of our cams do have lights on them, they are not able to be individually controlled by Alexa. You can see Ring Smart Lighting here.

Yes, you are correct Alexa only sees the floodlight ring cameras and not the lights. But, if you create a group for the floodlight camera in the ring app, Alexa will now find that group and recognize it as a light and not a camera. So, Alexa will recognize the camera and there will be an individual device recognized for the light. This makes it easy to turn on and off the flood lights with just a voice command.

3 Likes

I just received a ring cam floodlight pro, and was about to open it before I saw these comments. I want to use it as a smart floodlight (as I have smart switches that come on at dusk). Using your method I could do this? I was going to hardwire to always be on unless I can power the camera and lights separately.

If not I’ll have to return to Amazon after waiting for 3 months sigh.

1 Like

I know this is a few months old, but I’ve found out the answer to getting the floodlight to work with Alexa.
In the Ring app (not Alexa app), click the Gear icon on the camera. Click “Device Settings” then click “General Settings” then click “Light Group”.
It probably says “Not assigned”. Create a name for the light here. Whatever you name it, that’s what Alexa will detect it as. So if you have more than 1, you might want to give them different names then create groups in the Alexa app. Up to you.

1 Like