Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

Hi @RE

I owe you an apology. As you might spot in my conversation with @Boone I actually have Ring Video Doorbell 2nd generation, not Ring Video Doorbell 2. Hence the difference. I had wrongly thought they were different names for same unit!

As you say though these days with plenty of mobile phones in a house to chime it’s not too big a deal not having house doorbell chiming . Also I have Alexa chiming too! However you would think that Ring would have included the feature considering your model is also a lot more expensive and has other nice features like quick release battery and more accessories I believe.

John

@JohnofDublin wrote:

Hi @Boone,

Thanks. I certainly did get mixed up with the two models with the subtle name difference. I owe another person here called @RE an apology, as he has preached here strongly that the Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not have the settings to make doorbell chimes work. You are both clearly correct. My Ring Video Doorbell 2nd generation clearly is different in that regard. I looked your model up and it has some nice features but is somewhat more expensive. See below… does it actually include the wedge and corner install kits? That would have been handy in my case as I had to make up a wedge myself with some carpentry work.

Product Features:

• Ring Video Doorbell 2
  • Quick Release Battery Pack
  • Satin Nickel and Venetian Faceplates
  • Adapter Plate
  • Wedge and Corner Install Kits

Anyway, thanks for the very interesting chat Boone. What part of USA are you in?

Good Morning @JohnofDublin . Thanks to you (for settling the bet here as to what Doorbell that you really have), I just finished my breakfast in bed of home-made waffles with bacon! LOL :slight_smile:

You made your own wedge with some carpentry work? Cool, you sound like quite a handy-man.

To answer your questions:

• Yes, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 package came with all that you listed, and it does actually include the wedge and corner install kits. Initially, I used the downward wedge, since there are steps leading to my doorway. Later, I removed the wedge and found I had better motion detection and viewing coverage with the corner kit instead.
  • Yes agreed, I too think that we had a very interesting chat. Now I have to decide what I want for breakfast in bed for my next 6 days. Although I was born in Japan and came to the USA as an infant, I’ve moved around a lot in my lifetime (as a Fighter Pilot in the US military), including several years in the East Anglia part of England. I finally settled down and I am currently living in North Carolina, but still enjoying traveling the world (hopefully soon again once this Covid-19 mess is over with).

As established earlier, I do own the Ring Video Doorbell 2 model, installed in January 2019, and think it is wonderful too. And it does make my mechanical house chime go “Ding-Dong” just fine since its installation, just as it does for thousands of other Ring Video Doorbell 2 owners world-wide. I hope you really enjoy your new Ring Video Doorbell “2nd Gen/2020 Release” too! Take care! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, i am having similar issues. I have found the make of my Chime which is…

https://www.bltdirect.com/eterna-ip20-white-door-chime-with-built-in-transformer?adcid=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvSEQR1urrHpjoeKqESpjkTSaFubLJHtxtt-DjhP5UFgnDIELmo01xYaAiSeEALw_wcB

I have got the power working, and when my new doorbell is pressed i get a loud rattling sound from what i presume is the transistor. I do not need the original chime as i have it set up to work from Alexa but need the power on to charge ring so need to fix the issue.

Would wecome any ideas as to what i could do? I am sure it is an easy fix and it has been answered before but cannot find my old doorbell on the ring list or in anyones queries. Image attached of the unit.

Many thanks

@Hopster wrote:

https://www.bltdirect.com/eterna-ip20-white-door-chime-with-built-in-transformer?adcid=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvSEQR1urrHpjoeKqESpjkTSaFubLJHtxtt-DjhP5UFgnDIELmo01xYaAiSeEALw_wcB

I have got the power working, and when my new doorbell is pressed i get a loud rattling sound from what i presume is the transistor. I do not need the original chime as i have it set up to work from Alexa but need the power on to charge ring so need to fix the issue.

Would welcome any ideas as to what i could do? I am sure it is an easy fix and it has been answered before but cannot find my old doorbell on the ring list or in anyones queries. Image attached of the unit.

Many thanks

Hi @Hopster ,

Sorry to hear you are having issues. To us to better understand and possibly help, can you tell us which model of Ring Doorbell that you have? :wink:

There is list of compatible chimes and transformers, and other helpful articles and information at:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us

But the compatibility and transformers can vary, depending on your model and the way you have it wired up. In addition to getting help here from us, your fellow “Ring Neighbors” in this peer-to-peer forum, you can also telephone Ring Support for help:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

Once you let us know which RIng Doorbell model you have, it is probable that some Ring Neighbor here might have your solution too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Hopster wrote:

Would wecome any ideas as to what i could do? I am sure it is an easy fix and it has been answered before but cannot find my old doorbell on the ring list or in anyones queries. Image attached of the unit.

Many thanks

Hi @Hopster.

From looking at your photo and link it does look like you have a mechanical chime doorbell I suspect.

On your photo that you attached it looks like it shows output as 6 Volt AC and 6 VA. I’m not sure which Ring Video Doorbell you have but my Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation requires voltage and power in range 8-24 Volts AC and 40 VA. I’m sure other Ring Doorbells require similar power. So on the face of it - it would sadly seem that your house bell unit does not offer near enough output voltage and power to power the Ring unit. Perhaps replace with a chime unit that offers output in right range above or else put up with charging the Ring unit every now and then.

1 Like

Dude! Thanks this was racking my brain since it worked prior to the setting up the device and initiating the service. They should be more clear on their install instructions!

1 Like

Ring Doorbell 2 does work with mechanical chime. I thought I had a problem to start with as well. Need to make sure no power is going to wire before you connect. Then power up and ring will light up white . Ring doorbell 2 does have option in app to pick the type of existing chime you have. . When you select mechanical, the Ring should fire off the existing doorbell if all is correct and you have AC power within range.

@JohnofDublin wrote:

@Hopster wrote:

Many thanks

Hi @Hopster.

From looking at your photo and link it does look like you have a mechanical chime doorbell I suspect.

On your photo that you attached it looks like it shows output as 6 Volt AC and 6 VA. I’m not sure which Ring Video Doorbell you have but my Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation requires voltage and power in range 8-24 Volts AC and 40 VA. I’m sure other Ring Doorbells require similar power. So on the face of it - it would sadly seem that your house bell unit does not offer near enough output voltage and power to power the Ring unit. Perhaps replace with a chime unit that offers output in right range above or else put up with charging the Ring unit every now and then.

Dang @JohnofDublin . . . you have impressive Superman eyes! A great catch zooming in on the tiny print on that house chime, and seeing that indeed the voltage is too low! You are correct, that of all the Ring Video Doorbell models, the lowest acceptable voltage in 8 volts AC, so his chime voltage is too low and therefore explains why his house chime only rattles and doesn’t go “Ding Dong.” A big “Thumbs Up” Kudo for you! :slight_smile:

So if @Hopster wants his house chime to work using his Ring Video Doorbell, he would need a compatible house chime and with a transformer rated to 8 minimum to 24 maximum VAC (40VA max wattage), unless he owns a “Ring Video Doorbell Pro” model which would need even higher requirement of 16 minimum to 24 maximum VAC with 30VA (40VA max wattage). Currently only two Ring Doorbell models do not ‘trickle-recharge’ and function with a transformer, the “Ring Video Doorbell Elite” (Power over Ethernet cable) and the “Ring Peephole Cam” (Quick Release Battery Pack only).

And @william30w just to clarify, because it is a very common confusion, as @JohnofDublin

can attest to, the “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation / 2020 Release” does have the “None”, “Mechanical”, and “Digital” chime settings . . . but the other completely different, older model “Ring Video Doorbell 2” does Not have those settings. They are two very different models. So when you wrote, “Ring Doorbell 2 does work with mechanical chime”, that is correct. But when you wrote, “Ring doorbell 2 does have option in app to pick the type of existing chime you have”, you actually were referring to the “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen”, because the “Ring Video Doorbell 2” does not have those options/settings. This older “Ring Video Doorbell 2” is no longer sold online by Ring, but many of us still own this different model and it can be still found for sale in many 3rd party stores. The newer “Ring Video Doorbell 3” and “Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus” are the improved version replacements for the older “Ring Video Doorbell 2.”

My earlier post in this thread, ‎10-18-2020 09:11 PM, shows some of the physical differences between these two different models (“Ring Video Doorbell 2” and the “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen”) even though their model names both include “2” (not including the actual performance/settings differences that exist also).

Just too many dang “2” twos too that make this a very common confusion point. LOL :wink:

1 Like

Had the same issues after upgrading my ring to a door 3. I needed to change the name of my original ring doorbell from front door to front door old, then go to the 3 bars in the top left, click on devices, front door. Then scroll down to device setting, in home chime settings, advanced settings. Click on chime type and change it to mechanical. This corrected my doorbell ringing in my house.

1 Like

Yes @Dkammerz ,

When you get your new Ring Video Doorbell, the Ring company has no idea whether your house has a Mechanical or Digital house chime installed. So therefore , the default setting is “None” and you need to select the appropriate setting.

Most of the time, it is easy to determine if your house has a Mechanical or Digita l bell. The mechanical bell uses a metal rod or hammer that physically strikes another piece of metal (Ding) or two pieces of metal (Ding-Dong), where as the digital bell artificially produces the sound using electronic circuits and a speaker. Just listen to the way it sounds. Here’s a link to a Ring video and at 2:10 minute part , you can hear the difference between the Mechanical and Digital “Ding-Dong” sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSJ5nO4b48

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh and @Dkammerz , since the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSJ5nO4b48

is an older video, ignore the install part about the diode. That diode is only used on the older discontinued model of the “Ring Video Doorbell 2”, and not on subsequent newer models, like the “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation/2020 Release” or “Ring Video Doorbell 3” and etc., that now have the chime selection settings. I had just provided the link for the purposes of hearing the differences in the sounds that a Mechanical or Digital house chime makes at the 2:10-minute mark. My intent was not to confuse anyone about a diode . . . sorry if I added any confusion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just want to thank aurorawatcher for his solution and to confirm that it works on a “Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus” October 2020.

These are the settings to change:
In the App, select the bell push in ‘Devices’ and go to ‘Device Settings > General Settings’. In ‘Internal Doorbell Settings’ set ‘Doorbell Chime Type’ to ‘mechanical’.

1 Like

My doorbell chime worked fine hardwired but wouldn’t connect to ring. Then I put the battery in and my ring works, but the doorbell does not chime… even though it is still hard wired ?‍♀️

I had a 1st version ring doorbell, and recently upgraded to a newer model, I’ve been ringing my hands trying to figure out, why it didn’t ring my original house chime, like the original ring. Thank you for posting this, now my house chime rings again. Seems like this information should be included after you set up your new device, and not have to hunt down the information you need

Going into the device settings worked for me as well. Apparently it is not a direct physical connection between the ring button and the leads to the original doorbell. I can’t believe Ring doesn’t point this out in their quick start guide. I was ready to take the dorrbell back to Best Buy and try something else.

1 Like

I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by “it it is not a direct physical connection”. Are you implying that the connection magically jumps through the air? Changing the device settings has been posted many times. However it does not apply to ring video doorbell 2 As there is not an option in the device settings to change.

Yes, that’s pretty much it! The connection is a solid state relay. This means that the connection is made by a solid state device such as a triac (Google it). This does not show a measurable short circuit on its output terminals if you apply a test meter while you press the button. It is controlled by a small voltage applied to the input when the button is pressed. Sometimes the input has an opto-isolator (Google that as well) where the input signal is coupled in with a beam of light generated by an LED which jumps through the air to a photodiode receiver, so it’s nearly magic!

1 Like

Hoping not to muddy the issue, but I have a Ring Video 2, same app with no option when I first installed in summer/fall it rang internal bell. When it got colder, it stopped and never rang again. Still looking for a solution. Thanks New Neighbor II, for all you effort!

This worked like a “chime”. Thank you.

Fixed! I have the doorbell 2. It was working my interior doorbell for a long time then all of suddent stopped. I have no options in my app to enable mechanical doorbell - just like many others have mentioned. I called support and spent of lot time troubleshooting with them but never got a resolution. I read another person’s note on here about the part connecting being too short. I also read online that if your app is telling the doorbell is getting its charge from the battery it’s not connecting to the wiring. Long story short, I took off the back of the ring door bell and added 6-8 layers of foil (I folded the foil over) and now the indoor chime is working again! I’ve attached a picture. There are two gold nodes. I covered both with their own foil. In this picture I left one gold node exposed so you can see what it looks like.