Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

Thanks Gforce: There is a lot of confusion on these posts, many are saying they have a fix - which may be entirely true for whatever version of Ringthey have - BUT IT WILL NOT WORK FOR RING VIDEO DOOR BELL 2 (2019 vintage). There is no option in the software to change settings to a mechanical door bell. I think most of us that have any knowledge of setup would have realized that was there - if it had been. The Ring Video Door Bell 2 will not close the terminals when the button is pushed and therfore it will never activate a mechanical chime. I have repeadly stated this - but still some reply they found a fix - which is not the case for model stated above. Doesn’t anyone think it strange that Ring doesn’t jump in here and say I’m wrong? Of course then they would have to provide a fix and there isn’t one.

To clarify, my fix that does work is with the original Ring Doorbell Video, not the Ring Doorbell Video 2. If the “ears” of the Ring provided doorbell wire extenders are not correctly place, the battery will not charge and the inside doorbell will not activate (mine is 17 years old - ding/dong type). It took me many tries to discover the solution: make sure the “ears” go into the area surrounding the contact screws [see attached images: the left image does not work; the right does].

Hope this helps those with the original Ring doorbell.

@rtcary

Had the same issue. The inside chime would not work after installing my ring. Just by chance I found this thread and looked into the devices section of the app and there is was. Changed it to mechanical and bam! Working doorbell. Thank you for the info!!

@RE1 wrote:

“The Ring Video Door Bell 2 will not close the terminals when the button is pushed and therfore it will never activate a mechanical chime. I have repeadly stated this - but still some reply they found a fix - which is not the case for model stated above. Doesn’t anyone think it strange that Ring doesn’t jump in here and say I’m wrong? Of course then they would have to provide a fix and there isn’t one.”

@RE1 ,

Please stop saying, “The Ring Video Door Bell 2 will not close the terminals when the button is pushed and therfore it will never activate a mechanical chime. I have repeadly stated this.”

You are wrong. Many people, that own the Ring Video Doorbell 2 model, have told you in earlier parts of this thread that their, and my, Ring Video Doorbell 2 does indeed activate a mechanical chime (that is on the compatibility list of mechanical chimes). Other owners of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 have also posted that their doorbell did work, but later broke/stopped. The point is that when working correctly and hooked up to a compatible house chime, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 does activate the house chime when the button is pushed.

You cannot simply check that solid-state relay with an OHM meter as you have repeatedly and incorrectly stated. Back earlier in this thread, on 9/6/2020, I explained why using an ordinary OHM meter will not show a completed circuit when the doorbell button is pressed. I also included links to electronic articles explaining why. When I use an Ohm meter on my doorbell it does not display a completed circuit when I push the button, and yet it does activate the house mechanical chime. I understand why an Ohm meter cannot be used. But you continue to refuse to believe. Now that’s OK if you personally want to not believe, but stop telling others. You should replace your old mechanical house chime with a mechanical chime that is on the compatibility list.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003008663-Ring-Video-Doorbell-2-Chime-Kit-Compatibility-List

But you are correct about the part where the Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not have the setting option for “None”, “Mechanical”, or “Digital” which later models have, and hence the need for the diode when the Video Doorbell 2 is used to activate a compatible Digital Chime.

Please stop, OK?

“Dunning-Kruger Effect”

Boone: NO, I will not stop saying what I have repeatedly said. Lets be specific, I am refering to a 2019 vintage Ring Video Door Bell 2. If they made improvements in later models, so be it. I understand the solid state relay and the fact that it does need a small amount of voltage to activate - that voltage is supplied by my existing transformer - I am testing the circut while connected to transformer. And for your information, all a diode does is to allow current to flow in one direction only, hardly helpful in this case. I have two of the aforementioned Ring devices, both react the same with different chimes connected, one of which is an approved Nutone mechanical chime.

I have no idea why some have posted that their RVDB2 worked and then stopped. I do know that a lot of people that posted they found a fix, do not actually have a RVDB2 of the same vintage (2019). The have Ring Pro and other similiar models, which I have no experience with and never stated they won’t work.

Hi. I would make sure that you have mechanical chime kit selected in your Ring App. This can be done by selecting- Menu > Devices > (Ring Device) > Device Settings > General Settings > Internal Doorbell Settings. I had the same issue and this fixed it. Hope this helps!!!

1 Like

If you read the posts you will see that Ring Video Door Bell 2 does not have that option in the software.

Thank you for taking the time to document this it saved me from chasing why my mechanical chime wasn’t working. Ring really should document the setting review in the manual or video instructions in the app with Device Settings > General Settings’. In ‘Internal Doorbell Settings’ set ‘Doorbell Chime Type’ to ‘mechanical’.

1 Like

I had to go Settings>Device Settings> In home chime settings > Advance settings and change the type to MECHANICAL. then it worked.

1 Like

Very interesting thread. It was quite helpful to me. I bought a Ring 2 Video Doorbell two days ago. I had been using the original Ring Doorbell and really just wanted the new one for higher quality 1080P video. As I was installing it there was a firmware update which was fine. When I installed the system and connected to our existing house doorbell wires (which provide 15 Volts AC) I immediately had two problems. Firstly, the doorbell in our hall did not chime and secondly the Ring unit was not getting power from the doorbell (it stayed in battery mode). But from reading this thread I looked closer at the settings under “In-home Chime Settings” and then “Advanced Settings” and spotted that the Chime Type option was set to “None” by default. I changed this to “Mechanical” and saved. This immediately solved both my problems - the house bell chimed perfectly on pressing the Ring doorbell and also under Device Health the Power Source came us as “Hardwired” and Battery Level climbed to 100%. So I was prettty thrilled with this. I don’t for a moment doubt as reported here by one of you that the 2019 version of Ring 2 Video Doorbell has a problem in this area. But I can confirm the 2020 unit I bought is fine. I’m not sure if that was achived by the firmware upgrade I experienced during installation or if there have been further hardware changes since 2019. But I’m a happy camper and thanks to all who have put helpful comments on this thread. I’ve also moved my original 720p Ring Doorbell to monitor the house from the back garden by just battery. It’s a quiet area so infrequent charging shouldn’t be much of a chore.

1 Like

JohnofDublin: Thanks for the post acknowledging there is a difference in RVDB2’s. You prompted me to do some additional research - my firmware is up to date and so is my software version. I know I have power to my internal chime as the ring batteries stay charged. I have two units which I purchased at about the same time in 2019 - both work the same.

What is interesting to me is there is not a different version of the app - like one for Ring pro and one for RVDB2. So that makes me wonder why I do not have the option to select chime type if they all use the same app. Maybe the app gets information from the ring device itself when you set it up - which seems a little weird. I did try deleting the app and reinstalling it, no change.

Just out of curiosity, is your internal chime one of the ring “approved” models?

Anyway, thanks for your time. I have learned to live with no internal chime. I have enough iPhones and iPads around the house all set to allow alerts - so I get notice when someone is at the door. Just frustrating that Ring provides a product that is not fully functional.

1 Like

Hi @JohnofDublin ,

That’s wonderful that you found information in this thread helpful! :slight_smile:

If you would be so kind as to satisfy my curiosity, could you answer the following questions please?

1. Are you in the USA? I ask because your screen name suggests that you are overseas.

2. Does your new Ring Video Doorbell have the removable “Quick Release Battery Pack” (which would confirm you do have the Ring Video Doorbell 2 model)? Or does your new doorbell have an internal non-removable battery, which would mean you actually have the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation / 2020 Release).

The reason for my curiosity is because I’m wondering if you are indeed overseas, is the export Ring Video Doorbell 2 possibly slightly different than the US version (but I think they are the same). I’m in the USA and here the Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not have the “In-home Chime Settings” unless something has changed recently. Ring has discontinued selling the Ring Video Doorbell 2 model on their US website, although it is still available for purchase from other stores and distributors and plenty of places overseas. The Ring Video Doorbell 3 and Video Doorbell 3 “Plus” are the newer improved versions to replace the older Video Doorbell 2 model version.

There is a completely different doorbell model, the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation / 2020 Release) which does indeed have those “In-home Chime Settings.” RIng doesn’t know if your house chime is Mechanical or Digital, so that’s why it comes out of the factory with a defaulted setting of “None” until you change it to the appropriate setting to make your house chime work.

As you can imagine, with two completely different Doorbell models both with the number “two” in their model names, how easily and very common it is to get the two mixed up. Too many “2” twos too! LOL.

I appreciate your time. I hope you enjoy your new Video Doorbell ! :slight_smile:

@Boone wrote:

Hi @JohnofDublin ,

That’s wonderful that you found information in this thread helpful! :slight_smile:

If you would be so kind as to satisfy my curiosity, could you answer the following questions please?

1. Are you in the USA? I ask because your screen name suggests that you are overseas.

2. Does your new Ring Video Doorbell have the removable “Quick Release Battery Pack” (which would confirm you do have the Ring Video Doorbell 2 model)? Or does your new doorbell have an internal non-removable battery, which would mean you actually have the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation / 2020 Release).

The reason for my curiosity is because I’m wondering if you are indeed overseas, is the export Ring Video Doorbell 2 possibly slightly different than the US version (but I think they are the same). I’m in the USA and here the Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not have the “In-home Chime Settings” unless something has changed recently. Ring has discontinued selling the Ring Video Doorbell 2 model on their US website, although it is still available for purchase from other stores and distributors and plenty of places overseas. The Ring Video Doorbell 3 and Video Doorbell 3 “Plus” are the newer improved versions to replace the older Video Doorbell 2 model version.

There is a completely different doorbell model, the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation / 2020 Release) which does indeed have those “In-home Chime Settings.” RIng doesn’t know if your house chime is Mechanical or Digital, so that’s why it comes out of the factory with a defaulted setting of “None” until you change it to the appropriate setting to make your house chime work.

As you can imagine, with two completely different Doorbell models both with the number “two” in their model names, how easily and very common it is to get the two mixed up. Too many “2” twos too! LOL.

I appreciate your time. I hope you enjoy your new Video Doorbell ! :slight_smile:

Hi @Boone. So to answer your first question I’m in Europe in Ireland. I bought the unit in a local Electronics store. On your second question there is a circular battery visible that seems to be a lithium silver type of about 1 inch diameter and it looks to be removable, although I didn’t study it too closely. Your other comment that the unit defaults the chime bell as None does make sense.

1 Like

@RE1 wrote:

JohnofDublin: Thanks for the post acknowledging there is a difference in RVDB2’s. You prompted me to do some additional research - my firmware is up to date and so is my software version. I know I have power to my internal chime as the ring batteries stay charged. I have two units which I purchased at about the same time in 2019 - both work the same.

What is interesting to me is there is not a different version of the app - like one for Ring pro and one for RVDB2. So that makes me wonder why I do not have the option to select chime type if they all use the same app. Maybe the app gets information from the ring device itself when you set it up - which seems a little weird. I did try deleting the app and reinstalling it, no change.

Just out of curiosity, is your internal chime one of the ring “approved” models?

Anyway, thanks for your time. I have learned to live with no internal chime. I have enough iPhones and iPads around the house all set to allow alerts - so I get notice when someone is at the door. Just frustrating that Ring provides a product that is not fully functional.

Hi @RE thanks for your interesting thoughts.

I don’t know what brand my hallway ringer is - picture attached. It came with our newly built house 7 years ago. There are no visible indications of brand from any direction. It is mechanical alright, gives a simple ding-dong once for each button press and I can hear a relay going on it. The output at the door wires is 15 Volt AC as I measured on my multimeter.

What country are you in, I wonder if that could be relevant? I’m in Europe in Ireland.

It worked for my Ring Doorbell 2nd. Generation; only it wasn’t on “General Settings” it was on

“In-home Chime Settings”, I changed it to mechanical and it worked, my original doorbell chime is about 60 years old

1 Like

@Cesar_Huizar wrote:

It worked for my Ring Doorbell 2nd. Generation; only it wasn’t on “General Settings” it was on

“In-home Chime Settings”, I changed it to mechanical and it worked, my original doorbell chime is about 60 years old

Yes @Cesar Huizar, that’s what I found.

1 Like

@JohnofDublin wrote:

Hi @Boone. So to answer your first question I’m in Europe in Ireland. I bought the unit in a local Electronics store. On your second question there is a circular battery visible that seems to be a lithium silver type of about 1 inch diameter and it looks to be removable, although I didn’t study it too closely. Your other comment that the unit defaults the chime bell as None does make sense.

Hi @JohnofDublin ,

Thanks for replying. I really do appreciate that. :slight_smile:

Ah, so you are in Europe in Ireland. That’s cool!

When you said the battery does look removable, I got confused because the “Quick Release Battery Pack” is not circular. It’s kind of like two circular batteries combined. The battery pack has a tab that allows it to be released (generally silver-colored metal, but can be black plastic too). So I’m still not sure which model of Video Doorbell you have. I’ve attached a picture of the Quick Release Battery, and of the Video Doorbell 2nd Generation (back-view).

I apologize for being so inquisitive and bothering you for you time, but my curiosity has got the better of me. LOL

What are the exact words on the box that your Doorbell came in?

Other features that each model have, that might clear this up, are:

Ring Video Doorbell 2:

• A single Security screw center at the bottom of the doorbell that releases the bottom only the face-plate.
  • The removable face-plate only covers the lower half of the doorbell.
  • The Quick Release Battery Pack can be recharged via USB port on the battery itself.
  • The Reset button is a square Black button on the front side, under the face-plate, upper-right-corner.
  • Here is a link to a short youtube video of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 recharging and battery view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3DuP3TnYA

Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen / 2020 Release):

• Has 2 Security screws at the bottom of the doorbell that releases the entire doorbell from the mounting bracket.
  • The doorbell can be recharged via USB port on the backside of the doorbell.
  • The Reset button is a round Orange button on the back-side of the doorbell.
  • Here is a link to a short youtube video of the Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen recharging of the internal non-removable battery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTyAVtpw7Cw

Again, I do apologize for being so curious and hope you don’t mind. Currently I’m thinking and betting that you have the non-removable model version Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation / 2020 Release), and not the Ring Video Doorbell 2 . . . that is if I was a betting man, which I am. LOL Here at home we actually do have a bet going on who is correct. :wink:

@Boone wrote:

@JohnofDublin wrote:

Hi @JohnofDublin ,

When you said the battery does look removable, I got confused because the “Quick Release Battery Pack” is not circular. It’s kind of like two circular batteries combined. The battery pack has a tab that allows it to be released (generally silver-colored metal, but can be black plastic too). So I’m still not sure which model of Video Doorbell you have. I’ve attached a picture of the Quick Release Battery, and of the Video Doorbell 2nd Generation (back-view).

I apologize for being so inquisitive and bothering you for you time, but my curiosity has got the better of me. LOL

Ring Video Doorbell 2:

• A single Security screw center at the bottom of the doorbell that releases the bottom only the face-plate.
  • The Quick Release Battery Pack can be recharged via USB port on the battery itself.
  • The Reset button is a square Black button on the front side, under the face-plate, upper-right-corner.
  • Here is a link to a short youtube video of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 recharging and battery view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3DuP3TnYA

• Has 2 Security screws at the bottom of the doorbell that releases the entire doorbell from the mounting bracket.
  • Here is a link to a short youtube video of the Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen recharging of the internal non-removable battery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTyAVtpw7Cw

Again, I do apologize for being so curious and hope you don’t mind. Currently I’m thinking and betting that you have the non-removable model version Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation / 2020 Release), and not the Ring Video Doorbell 2 . . . that is if I was a betting man, which I am. LOL Here at home we actually do have a bet going on who is correct. :wink:

Hi @Boone,

Ha ha, you won your bet! Yes I do have Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen / 2020 Release). It says exactly that on the box it came in. I’m only realising now from your explanation that it is different to Ring Video Doorbell 2.

everything you said is correct including the two underneath locking screws.

1 Like

@JohnofDublin wrote:

@Boone wrote:

@JohnofDublin wrote:

Hi @JohnofDublin ,

Ring Video Doorbell 2:

Hi @Boone,

Ha ha, you won your bet! Yes I do have Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen / 2020 Release). It says exactly that on the box it came in. I’m only realising now from your explanation that it is different to Ring Video Doorbell 2.

everything you said is correct including the two underneath locking screws.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy @JohnofDublin !

I won the bet! Now I get breakfast in bed for a week! LOL :slight_smile:

Cool cool. Like I said before, it is very easy and many do get the two different models names mixed up. All those “twos” really makes it a common mistake. So you really have the Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen (2020 Release). And you do not have the Ring Video Doorbell 2 (older model). My next-door neighbor has the same doorbell that you now own, and she loves it.

That totally explains how you have the “In-home Chime Settings” with your 2nd Gen/2020 Release model. The Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not have those settings. And it means that basically the export version of this Ring Doorbell is about the same as the US version, if not the exactly same.

Now I just have to decide what I want for breakfast tomorrow and I’m looking forward to it!

Thanks again John for your patience and taking the time to settle that bet! Take care! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Boone,

Thanks. I certainly did get mixed up with the two models with the subtle name difference. I owe another person here called @RE an apology, as he has preached here strongly that the Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not have the settings to make doorbell chimes work. You are both clearly correct. My Ring Video Doorbell 2nd generation clearly is different in that regard. I looked your model up and it has some nice features but is somewhat more expensive. See below… does it actually include the wedge and corner install kits? That would have been handy in my case as I had to make up a wedge myself with some carpentry work.

Product Features:

• Ring Video Doorbell 2
  • Quick Release Battery Pack
  • Satin Nickel and Venetian Faceplates
  • Adapter Plate
  • Wedge and Corner Install Kits

Anyway, thanks for the very interesting chat Boone. What part of USA are you in?