Unable to add Ring device in the app (after upgrading the phone)

I am unable to add Ring device in the app. After upgrading the phone I noticed that the device was showing offline. Tried all the troubleshooting steps; Re-installed the app, Reset the doorbell, Deleted the device and tried adding again, Restarted the router… But each time I get the following message - "Unable to join the network “Ring-xxxxxxx”. Any thoughts / suggestions?

Hi @user81158. What type of phone is this? You may need to turn off your Smart Network Switch or WiFi assist in your phones settings in order to join the Ring network. Once you’ve joined, you can switch these settings back on. Also, be sure that you do not have a VPN enabled, as this can cause problems. Let me know if this helps!

I switched from iPhone 13 Pro to iPhone 15 Pro. After I transferred data to the new phone, wiped my old one clean, I later noticed that the ring went offline right about the same time I was performing this data transfer / phone wipe. iPhone has WiFi assist built in. There’s no way to turn this off. Also, I don’t have a VPN on my phone. The device just doesn’t want to get added. I tried it out on a different phone and it is the same situation. Tried reseting the device numerous times, turned off the power to the device… but just no help. Doesn’t connect to Chime Pro either. Is the device bricked?

Hi @user81158, happy to chime in here. You’ll need to connect to the temporary setup network, which is the “Ring-xxxxxx” network, to complete the setup process of your Ring device. We have various troubleshooting steps for setup failures here, which may help.

Specifically for iOS devices, try the following:

• Reboot your iOS device (shut it off completely) and Ring device, then try setting up again.

• Change your cellular data settings. If you don’t see your home wifi network when you’re setting up your device, you could try temporarily disabling your cellular data to prevent potential interference.

• Adjust your wifi settings:

1. Tap Settings (the gear icon), then tap Wifi.
  2. Under this setting, you’ll see a list of different networks in range. Below that list, tap Ask to Join Networks, then tap Ask.
  3. Try to setup your Ring device again. You should be prompted to connect to the Ring temporary network.

If none of these suggestions work, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here for further assistance. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring by sending a private message with a few details on your concern.