Spotlight Cam Battery not charging with solar panel

I bought ne w cam and soalr panel as cam awkward position and high up.

Works fine except no chagrging from solar panel. Down to 5%. Now charging manually. Was fully charged prior to set up.

No way to see if even charging ?

I left in for an hour or two but went from 6% to 5% … on a sunny day.

Do Ring actually assist or do I have to go back to store and complain ?

I have a same issues, even try to different ways like upon user before , still not working ecev didn’t show in my app. Please help.

We had a similar problem with our stick camera, my son is studying computer science, he knows about cameras, but here I come in with the solution, is a common sense problem.
I erased the camera from my ring app, (with my son protesting lol) and then I installed it back, (you must have the original box with the code in order to do that without have to move the camera from the location placed. And that’s it. The camera was back and working better :wink: hope this help.

this solution apply to all ring devices stops working. If the device is not back after the installation then is a problem in the device itself then call ring.

1 Like

Try on my recipe, if you have the original box and the small paper with the code inside, charge the battery full, erase the device from your ring app, then install again the device in your ring app. You don’t need to move the camera from the location. Insert first the battery fully charged, and then insert the solar panel back in the camera when installing on the app again. Hope this help.

1 Like

I’m starting to learn the hard way that ring devices are not durable for a long period of time. My solar panel is no longer charging. I live in Texas and we get plenty of sun. Ring has already had to replace my flood light camera and a spotlight cam.

Just finished installing my new solar panel with spot cam with a fully charged battery and shows no indication on the app that it’s charging. Does it take a few hours to show that’s it’s charging. I have the same update that shows the same msg Solar panel status “ add solar panel to charge battery”

Same problem here. Tried calling support on my cell phone, got knocked off about 4 times. Then called with my land line and the person helped me. We went through the “factory reset” and setup process. During that time, the camera’s firmware was presumably being updated (despite the device health screen telling me it was already up to date). Now, I will see.

For history, the panel was charging the batteries fine until about 2 months ago, then one started dropping about 1% a day. I supposed to wait 2 days to see if this reset has started it charging. The support person was able to check the status and see that the panel was providing charge to the camera. (Not available to us yet on the device health screen.) So, will see if that reset & firmware update does anything.

When I first set up this camera and solar panel, the panel was too shaded and I had to move it to a more sunny spot on the wall. Then, it really topped out the batteries, so I’m guessing the problem isn’t in the panel.

Will update this when I know if the reset did anything.

ok, after having the same problem, and after reading most of these frustrated posts, it’s clear that:

1. Some change in the firmware caused the panel to stop charging the battery

2. RIng support takes zero responsibility for fixing the issue (which I solved after reading some of the posts, and a bit of trial and error - took me less than an hour to figure out. WIll Ring pay me?)

Here’s what I did to fix it:

1. Take battery out of cam, charge with USB wall cord until green light (100%) - this took all night for me, since it was at almost zero.
  2. Unscrew solar panel cord from where it connects to cam (don’t lose tiny screws)
  3. Take Camera off wall mount (loosen screw on ball/ring latch), it’s easier for next steps (you’ll need to open it to see MAC code for re-setup)
  4. Clean everything (use wet nap and get all dirt out of inside and outside)
  5. Put battery in, close battery door; light dome at bottom will flash blue
  6. Hold button on top for 30 seconds to get factory reset
  7. Then open Ring App and “add device” (instructional video pops up, so follow the steps)
  8. Note: for my model I had to open the battery door to see the MAC code when the camera wanted to take a photo of it
  9. Firmware update will happen, let it do it’s thang for 10 mins or so
  10. When all done, follow the steps to setup (ring instructional video)
  11. Put it back in the mount, hook up solar panel charge cord (screws), and use LIVE VIEW to adjust the view to your liking
  12. Check back in 30 mins and see if battery 100%. If so, all good!

Let me know how it works for you!

1 Like

So, mine is well within warranty. The firmware reset didn’t do anything except make the battery drain faster. The right battery is completely drained, the left one is now draining (not charging). Ring this am said that they were sending me a replacement cam. Will update when that is in place and if it works better.

I have another one of these cameras on the side of my house and it’s working and charging fine.

Same problem.

I did all the troubleshooting posted but my solar panels is still not charging my spotlight cam battery

Perhaps a fix??

I originally posted on this thread Dec 27th. My two spotlight cams with solar panels were installed July 12th of last year. Although mine never stopped charging and reflecting that status I was of course getting the “add a ring solar panel to extend battery life” statement.

It appears that has finally been fixed. Now under solar status it says “connected”. (See attached)

My panel is mounted to the roof, so I took the solar panel unit itself apart and found water on the inside. This could be your problem as well. Green mildew was growing on the sill, which tells me that the sill failed!

Mine was under the roof sill, far enough down to get light, but still to provide protection from the rain. That being said, when I was on the support call with Ring, the person helping said that she could tell that the solar panel was providing charge. The issue was with the camera, in my case.

@Elmomo wrote:

ok, after having the same problem, and after reading most of these frustrated posts, it’s clear that:

1. Some change in the firmware caused the panel to stop charging the battery

2. RIng support takes zero responsibility for fixing the issue (which I solved after reading some of the posts, and a bit of trial and error - took me less than an hour to figure out. WIll Ring pay me?)

Here’s what I did to fix it:

1. Take battery out of cam, charge with USB wall cord until green light (100%) - this took all night for me, since it was at almost zero.
  2. Unscrew solar panel cord from where it connects to cam (don’t lose tiny screws)
  3. Take Camera off wall mount (loosen screw on ball/ring latch), it’s easier for next steps (you’ll need to open it to see MAC code for re-setup)
  4. Clean everything (use wet nap and get all dirt out of inside and outside)
  5. Put battery in, close battery door; light dome at bottom will flash blue
  6. Hold button on top for 30 seconds to get factory reset
  7. Then open Ring App and “add device” (instructional video pops up, so follow the steps)
  8. Note: for my model I had to open the battery door to see the MAC code when the camera wanted to take a photo of it
  9. Firmware update will happen, let it do it’s thang for 10 mins or so
  10. When all done, follow the steps to setup (ring instructional video)
  11. Put it back in the mount, hook up solar panel charge cord (screws), and use LIVE VIEW to adjust the view to your liking
  12. Check back in 30 mins and see if battery 100%. If so, all good!

Let me know how it works for you!

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks!

3 Likes

I had this problem months ago. Ring replaced two Stickup Cams and the problem went away with those units. I bought a Spotlight Cam and it worked fine for a number of months. This week, with tons of sun, one of the batteries is not recharging. Down to 69% and getting lower daily. I wish there was an easy way to update/check the firmware. I do thnk that the issue is firmware related as a number of posts here suggest updating the firmware with positive results). It seems like this should be relatively simple to fix. I mean, its basically a battery charger. Will keep trying. Ring has been pretty good about help.

Mine is doing the exact same thing. Sometimes it shows that it’s connected to the solar but mostly it says to extend the battery life with a solar panel, which, of course, it is connected to. This is very frustrating and the malfunction does seem to correlate to when this new item displayed in the device health part of the app.

Thanks so much for the instructions. I had this issue for the last 6 months and I can confirm it fixed my solar panel connection. Now it said connected under salor status in my ring app.

Mine is doing the same thing, makes it pretty worthless.

I TOTALLY AGREE that this seems to be happening to a majority of people who have solar panels!!! Yet Ring still seems to have NO ANSWER!

1 Like