"New Features" notification will not go away

That solution to fix/remove the red notification alert on my Android did not work. I have all the steps as described numerous times to no avail. Please advise.

Hey neighbors! I checked with my team on this for some additional troubleshooting suggestions. In order to clear the red dot on the New Features notification, you’ll need to entirely scroll through and click on every single item in the Apps and Features sub-menu and the Products and Accessories sub-menu. Also, try to force quit the app in between switching from the Apps and Features sub-menu and the Products and Accessories sub-menu. This should remove the red dot for you.

If the above steps don’t resolve this for you, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. They can take a closer look into this concern for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

I don’t mean to be rude, but you (or other support people) continue to tell us to do the same thing over and over but this does not solve the problem: "Look at all the new features and products over and over again, close the app, clear data and cache, reinstall, sign in, etc. etc. etc. These steps do not work. People have been telling Ring support that these “solutions” do not work and yet the same suggestions keep coming. I have called support about this issue, multiple times over a period of months. I have come to the conclusiong that the real problem is your upper management is determined to compel us to look at new products every time we open the app, the inability to get rid of the red dot seems to be by design, it’s not a bug. By turning the a security app into an incessant advertisement for new products, which is what is happening, RING is communicating loud and clear that respect for the customer’s privacy is of no concern, RING is simply going to keep putting new products in our face every day until we’re worn down and just give in and buy more stuff. I wish there were a higher ethic operating here. This problem has been ongoing through numerous versions, I assume that if RING wanted it fixed it would be.

3 Likes

Just spoke with support and they started with giving me the same run around. Then flat out said the icon is supposed to remain at 1 all the time, which didn’t make any sense. Luckily I have a iPhone I use for work and decided to install the app and go through all the steps they provide. Once I completed viewing everything on the iPhone app lo and behold, the notification disappeared. The rep was shocked, because he also has an Android phone with the same issue but thought it was normal.
So the simple fact is the Android engineering team has incorrectly hard coded the application with permanent notification, whereas the iPhone engineering team actually took the time to code their application correctly.
Support didn’t even want to supply me a support case and only stated that they would send a recommendation that the Android app is different from the iPhone app. So I am almost certain we will endure this problem for many iterations to come unless someone with pull can add this as a code bug to get it address.

Worked for me. Clicked on “What’s New”. Clicked on “Products & Accessories”.

There were 9 messages marked as new. I clicked on each of them. All 9 messages changed from new to “Viewed”. The red dot indicating new notifications disappeared.

@NPL What device are you on?

(I want to note that I tried posting about the new Ring ploy to force us to click on the countless new products that they created instead of providing us ways to protect our privacy and opting out of sharing/selling out information as Ring promised us at the beginning of the year. However, a moderator moved my post here, which is why some of my earlier posts in this thread seem out of place… Anyway…)

Yes, of course, the ONLY way to get rid of obnoxious red dot is to click on EVERY SINGLE Ring product that we are being forced to look at on Amazon by Ring/Amazon.
And by the way, each time you have to re-install the Ring app because it is broken, the red dot counter will be re-set. And you will have to click on the 22+ items/Ring products all over again… It’s not a matter of “if,” it’s a matter of “when” you" have to re-install the Ring app because it is so buggy…

There was a time that I spent time a fair amount of time on this “community” to help others with issues and in hopes it would make the Ring products better for all of us. Too many empty, unfilled promises from Ring. Fool me once shame on you; fool me too many times, shame on me…

It’s become quite clear to me that Ring/Amazon management do not care in the least about our security or privacy. This “Community” and every aspect of their products are focused on monetizing and exploiting our personal information… This is no better than the Facebook “business model” …

1 Like

I agree. Why doesn’t RING give users of the app a choice to turn off all the ads? There’s now 3 places that ads show up: on the device page after the list of devices you already purchased, on the Store option in the menu on the left side of the app, and a 3rd time in the “What’s New” option, the one with the red dot that cannot be made to disappear.

Corporate greed wins again; when a person buys a product, the company now grants itself the license to badger the buyer with incessant advertising for more products. Am I the only one who wants this to stop? RING touts its privacy policy in the app but it is clearly not the truth. The truth is that if you buy into their security system RING now acts like they own your eyes and attention. It’s wrong, it’s invasive and it’s greedy. I wish they cared about what’s right as much as they care about enriching themselves.

1 Like

@jsg

Absolutely agreed! You are most definitely not the only one who wants this crap to stop…

So many fiascos with Rings leaks and sharing of our private data, e.g.,

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/08/ring-reportedly-shared-video-sharing-data-detailed-maps-with-police-in-2018/

https://www.cnet.com/news/ring-doorbells-had-vulnerability-leaking-wi-fi-login-info-researchers-found/

https://www.latimes.com/business/technology/story/2020-01-29/ring-app-shares-personal-data-eff-finds

After a lot of backlash on this “community” as well, Ring management finally posted on their website in ~Feb of this year that they would prioritize developing ways for us to opt out of sharing our of information and marketing etc. and that it would take a few months… (Funny, but I can’t seem to find that message now… ) Instead of fulfilling their promise, they’ve developed new, obnoxious, invasive ways to shove new products at us. And who knows that they’ve done on the back-end with all our personal information.

Current products are failing and developing new bugs, and I would bet that the new products were not properly tested. They expect customers to pay for the privilege of unknowingly being the beta testers…

1 Like

Hey neighbors! If you are still having a concern with the New Features section of the Ring app not dismissing the notification for a new feature and the steps here have not helped, it is recommended to contact and follow up with our support team for further help on this.

For more information on privacy and to address any concerns you may have about the Ring app, please check out our Privacy page here. We also added the ability to opt out of sharing information for the purpose of receiving personalized ads, as well as web and app analytics. To manage these settings, navigate to the Control Center, select Third Party Service Providers, and toggle on/off these features. Thank you for your feedback, neighbors. I will make sure to pass this onto the appropriate teams for you all.

@Chelsea_Ring
I have contacted them with no resolution. The problem only seems to impact Android phones, but yet there has not been any updates to correct the issue. @Chelsea_Ring can you check with your engineering department specifically for a eta for an Android update?

Ok, seriously…when is this issue going to be taken seriously and a REAL fix applied…This is going on a year from first reported…For those who pay for the premium service this is absolutely ridiculous…Please provide a qualified answer and quit gaslighting your customers please!!!

1 Like

I finally got annoyed enough with the modes notification not going away to search the internet for a solution. Uninstalling the app and reinstalling the latest version fixed it, but I had to click through 24 updates, half of which were new product links to Amazon.

Ring reminds me of Oneplus. A high tech electronics company that steals your money and doesn’t give a sh*t about keeping their customers with products that work properly and are updated and maintained in a timely reasonable fashion. As many of you already put it, it has literally been a year with the stupid red dot not going away. I just dropped $300 on extra cameras and gear to add to my system to streamline my products into a single unified convenient app just to have all this stuff I literally just bought get shoved back down my throat. Thanks Ring. So professional. Also the app kicks me out whenever I view the event history tabs. Thanks for taking my $10 a mo the so you can shove ads into my nice app and make an annoyance to everyone who put their hard earned $$ into your products. Ring does not care about what we think, they just want your $$ and kick you out the back door laughing. Should have stayed with Wyze. At least they update their products and listen to their customers. 1/5 the price also. Stupid me.

So I tried again as a last hope to clear data/cache and reinstall app. Guess what?!! Now there is number 4 instead of previous 1 in the what’s new tab!! I went through every single stupid thing the app makes me view and clock got it…etc. Even redos the collapsible one and wouldn’t you know it! Now it’s 4!! Of you can’t see the angry look on my face you’re lucky. I am ■■■■■■ beyond reason. This is the last straw for me, I’m sending all this crap back to them. What a disappointment this whole experience is all over a lazy app developer/team who refuses to fix a widespread problem a LOT of people are having. Oh and yeah! The app still force closes on me when I go to review saved footage. Just another nail in the coffin. So ■■■■■■.

Having the same issue. Tried all the steps mentioned by “Chelsea_Ring” to no avail. I noticed after repeating these steps that after logging back into the Ring app and opening the Features tab, it says there are 3 New Features to view but both times I tried clearing these notifications there were only 2 New Features to view. Where is the 3rd New Feature to get rid of this annoying notification? It says, “You’re all caught up” at the bottom. Please fix and update this issue. After reading this page it sounds like this has been an ongoing issue that Ring doesn’t care about. I have an Android, please address.

1 Like

This is still one of the most annoying features and has still never been fixed.

1 Like

I have had this frustrating issue since I got Ring last fall. Little red dot is on for “New Features” even though all are viewed or enabled. As nice as everything else works its a shame they make a fail in this small insignificant area. I understand they need marketing - just send me an email or text and turn off the red dot in New Features completely for gosh sake.

2 Likes

This is still a problem for me too. Very frustrating. I’ve even clicked on “learn more” under each article to see if that helps. Nothing. Still have a little red circle with the number 19 in it. :-1:t3:

Ok, it’s been almost an entire year… FIX THIS RED FREAKING DOT!!! NONE OF THE SUGGESTIONS HERE WORK!!! This is v3.35.1 and I still have the red “1 What’s New” … Well I tell you what’s NOT new is this annoying red dot notification that will not effn go away. Take “What’s New” out of the App until you get coders who understand how to fix this. So annoying.

3 Likes