Floodlight cam lights go on every 30 mins for about 20 secs?

@TX-CowboyRegarding the 30 minute light issue, for my floodlight cams, the January 2020 firmware update stopped that. That firmware update also fixed other issues: 1) inability to update firmware and 2) snapshots started working. Other people posted that the firmware update fixed the issues for them as well.

Our floodlight cams don’t face a street, so I can’t share any experiences with how they behave with cars.

When did your car triggering issue start? Did it start with the Feb 27 android app update?

Since second half of last year, a lot of strange buggy things have been happening with my Ring devices and the app as well. The February 27 android app update somehow messed up our Video Doorbell 2 that had been mostly OK for about 2 years. Strange things like phantom motion notifications with no motion every minute. And as far as I can tell, about 50% of the time, taking action (e.g., live view; changing mode on alarm; going into settings for video doorbell 2) on the Ring app triggers a false doorbell 2 motion notification (on phone and through the chime). It makes no sense at all, but yet it’s happening pretty consistently…

@TX-Cowboy wrote:

HI Meme,

Ring support comes back with same answwr. We have escalated this issue and we will get back. Smae old story.

BTW my only lights go up when car passees by from back of the camera. Car coming from front does not trigger the lights. I am on Human mode so technically should not trigger anything. Also I had the same settings for months and this issue started just recently.

Anyway, I iwll wait for ring to reply and give them chance before returing these lights. What an experince with Ring. I will give them “0” on their support.

I just want to know if new replacement has helped with 30 minutes light on issue for anyone. This way atleast I know I dump Ring and move to some other products or give them a chance with replacements.

reading two threads of the same issue I am having. I set up a wyze cam rt next to ring, proved to me its not a motion or heat sense issue… Not sure why this issue has been going on with Ring since 2018 and its still an issue.
Tried running off just the battery and different networks, different location, still happens. According the the app my firmware is us to date. it appears a lot of people are having the same issue. Any ideas or anyone know of a resolve? Ring Techs?

1 Like

@spenm7

I just saw your post. Are you still having problems with your lights going on constantly? You mentioned trying to run it off battery. Floodlight cams don’t run off batteries, so are you talking about a spotlight cam?

We don’t have Spotlight cams, but it does seem as if there are a lot of recent posts on this message board about lights going on constantly… It doesn’t sound like it’s been addressed. The only way to make Ring aware this is for lots of people to call the helpline and get it escalaed to Level 2 or higher. Or get the attention of one of the moderators on a post where a lot of people are having the same problem…

1 Like

It seems this light problem is still going on i have read most of the posts on this topic, trying to solve the same problem i am having ,but to no avail it looks like RING have no idea what the problem is only suggestions that you have already carried out. So come on RING sort it out please

1 Like

I am having this exact same issue, though my floodlight seems to come on every ~15min instead of 30min. I’m not sure when it started happening. I’ve had the floodlight for about 2 years now and just recall at night sometimes it would seem like the light would be on and chalked it up to some random motion from the PIR.

Recently, I started noticing the following appear in my Asus router log that would suggest the floodlight is leaving the wifi network for some reason every ~15min (does it internally reboot itself?).

Feb 7 13:42:22 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(466): wl0.1: Deauth_ind 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Feb 7 13:42:58 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): wl0.1: Auth 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Feb 7 13:42:58 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(529): wl0.1: Assoc 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Feb 7 13:58:34 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(466): wl0.1: Deauth_ind 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Feb 7 13:59:10 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): wl0.1: Auth 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Feb 7 13:59:10 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(529): wl0.1: Assoc 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Feb 7 14:14:46 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(466): wl0.1: Deauth_ind 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)
Feb 7 14:15:21 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(500): wl0.1: Auth 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)
Feb 7 14:15:21 syslog: WLCEVENTD wlceventd_proc_event(529): wl0.1: Assoc 74:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: Successful (0)

The other day, I decided to hard reset and remove/re-add the floodlight to my account to start fresh and enable the continuous snapshot feature to take a picture every 1min. Now I noticed every ~15min or so the snapshots “skip” while the floodlight is rebooting and right after it comes back one snapshot has the light on. The lights must come on whenever the wifi reconnects (or maybe the floodlight reboots itself). I also feel like before I updated and enabled snapshots, the cycle was almost exactly 15min spot on. Now that there’s a snapshot that has to be uploaded, I wonder if there is some additional “wait time” for the pending task to clear before the restart happens, causing it to stretch to about 16min now.

Any ideas what’s going on? Is there some 15min watchdog timer somewhere that isn’t happy and rebooting the floodlight every 15min, or is the floodlight somehow re-authenticating to wifi every 15min for some reason?

The device health says I’m on the latest firmware and RSSI is green and typically around -60 or better.

I did some more debugging today, watching the floodlight during the daytime. The lights actually do come on during the daytime too. I think this must be part of some sort of reboot or re-initialization process. There ought to be debug logs on the device itself that can give a clue what’s going on and why it’s resetting every ~15min? I have other devices on the wifi network and the floodlight cam is the only one that consistently and repeatedly reconnects every ~15min, so it is not due to wifi network, PIR motion, or anything else. It’s pretty clear there is some sort of watchdog in the ring firmware causing the reset every ~15min. The basic user-visible device health and status report screens show everything is fine, good RSSI, good power, etc.

I also tried starting a live view a few min before an expected reconnect. Sure enough, the live view died in the middle while the floodlight was restarting itself.

Now that I have more snapshots, it seems like it takes the floodlight cam about ~5min or so to complete the restart process because that’s how much time goes by where I’m missing snapshots. I can watch the timelapse count up and every ~10min it skips due to no data and jumps ~5min ahead, corresponding to the ~15min reset interval.

I am having simaler trouble with my ring floodlight cam ,but in stead of every 15 or minutes its every 20 to 30 secs and some times i have to turn the light of manually to stop i have had. To turn the light off. Which is not good i need a quick response. My cam faces into the back garden with no other interferance. I will switch the light back on tonight and if i am still experiencing the same response i will be expecting a quick response

@meme, just curious if your issue was resolved a while back. I just noticed mine was doing this exact thing, only my interval is about ~15min. Who knows how long it has been doing it, only just recently noticed. I do think I’ve seen the 15min reconnects in my router log before, so it’s probably been going on for a while now. I am on the latest firmware and snapshots work for me (I only recently hard-reset everything to get the snapshot feature, just figured it was never rolled out but then found some threads mentioning to reset it).

Anyone else still having this issue? Any luck getting ring to address it? I’m not able spend hours on the phone with a rep right now and apparently they no longer offer email support. Really hoping a moderator will see my messages in this thread.

I’ve been looking at my snapshot timeline again and it actually seems like it takes about 10min for the floodlight cam to fully reboot. I get about 5 snapshots at 1min per snapshot, then the timeline “fast forwards” 10 minutes to the next 5 snapshots. It coincides to when the floodlight cam is dropping off the network and reconnecting, presumably rebooting.

Sequence of events is… floodlight cam watchdog timer (?) forces device to restart itself, device leaves network, device restarts and rejoins wifi network, floodlights turn on for ~20sec while device goes through restart process which could take up to 10min, snapshots resume for about 5min, watchdog timer (?) hits 15min timeout and cycle repeats.

There must be logs on the device that can shed light into the problem if only we could raise the attention of Ring support to put us in touch with right people.

Hi neighbors! As the Community is a neighbor-to-neighbor forum and not a direct line to support, you may want to touch base with our support team directly if this concern with the lights on your Floodlight Cam persists. Our support team can be reached at one of the numbers available here and they’ll be happy to take a deeper look at this for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hey neighbors! Check out our Help Center article for tips on controlling the lights for your Floodlight Camera. Adjust the motion settings and checking for environmental factors that might be triggering the lights is a great step. Please also consider if you have a light switch or dimmer switch controlling the power to the Floodlight Camera, and ensure there is no one flipped the switch or any obstructions hitting it.

If this concern persists despite trying the above, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.