Floodlight cam lights go on every 30 mins for about 20 secs?

Installed my third floodlight cam today since experiencing this issue initially and it has the exact same issues as the previous 2. This is beyond ridiculous at this point! Ring is just blindly sending out replacements without any actual testing on their end in hopes you’ll get a working one. Don’t waste your time like I did.

I have yet to exchange my flood cam from Costco but might do that tomorrow.

Each time I talk to tech support they want to run through the same trouble shooting procedure.

Each time I would link to this thread and tell them that we are all stuck on the same firmware version and yet they still want to try trouble shooting and ignore my request for a replacement. They just don’t see well organized.

Hi All,

Ring level 2 support has been writing to me for replacement. Knowing most of you who have replaced having same issue, I am not taking risk of paying $125 to handyman.

Level 2 also informed me that they do not know when the fix will be issued. This is getting really bad.

I think Ring does not know how to fix it.

BTW : I tried light schedule and It did not work lights were follwoing the same pattern.

Let us hope we will get some news soon.

Agreed that this is beyond frustrating… I am guessing that there must be some floodlight cams sold recently that don’t have this issue. Otherwise they would have received more complaints, and it wouldn’t have taken us so much effort to convince Ring that this was a real issue… like winning a mini-lottery to get working floodlight cams…

If it didn’t take me so much time and effort to install, I probably would insist on another set to see if I could get some working ones.

I am also concerned as to the impact on the longevity of the lights turning on and off at least 26 times each night, which is at least 182 times a week, etc… two of my neighbors have noticed and commented to me about lights going on and off all night long. One neighbor thought about buying some but are obviously holding off.

Having the same kinds of problems. Extremely frustrating. Installed one floodlight cam. Works okay. Bought another (both from Amazon), newest one has these issues

1. Won’t update past 1.16.00273. Multiple attempts with customer service won’t fix this.

2. Light comes on every 20-30 minutes for about 20 seconds.

3. Doesn’t follow schedule. I get motion recordings when I don’t want them.

4. Snapshot capture doesn’t work. Just says unavailable.

Sound familiar?

Didn’t have any of these problems with my earlier floodlight cam. I’m on my 4th customer service contact with Ring. Wasting a lot of time during the work day to get this fixed.

The response I just got was this-

"For two of your issues they are looking into this for you. The lights turing on ever 30 minutes and the firmware not updating.

We’re sorry to hear that your Ring device is not operating as expected, but rest assured that our team is looking into this and working to resolve it as soon as possible.

I do not have a time frame of when they will be done looking into this, however I can assure you they are looking into this."

No complaint about the customer service agent. She’s just doing her job. But Ring (the company)? This is a lot of time and money to spend on a floodlight cam that doesn’t have basis functionality.

My floodlight cam is now cycling on and off every 30 seconds, with no motion detected or any alert sounding. Trying to get help thru RING is an awful ordeal.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue and I had to turn the motion sensor zones off, because its coming on and off about every 20 - 30 seconds with no motion detection. This makes me very unhappy with the product now.

I have just installed my 3rd set of floodlight cams - both are stuck on the old firmware version - even after the level 2 rep promised this wouldn’t be the case

I’m fed up of this service from ring - thinking of switching to nest

Happy Holidays Everyone.

I just checked my Ring app and the flood light I had problems with is now showing firmware is up to date. Snapshot Capture is now working as well.

As for the issue of the lights turning on every 30mins I am not sure. My flood light that had problems is in an area of my backyard that I don’t have direct visibility on.

Check and see if your flood cam now have a firmware that is up to date and if it fixes your issues.

Happy Holidays to all!

@eek626 Thanks for your update!

Unfortunately, both of my floodlight cams are still on the same old firmware and snapshots still don’t work. Both sets of lights still on turn by themselves automatically every 30 minutes. And stranger still, recently I noticed that sometimes they’ll go on every 10 or 15 minutes by themselves for a period. The behavior of the floodlights is getting odder and odder. Even though Ring told us over a month ago that they were working on a fix, it feels like they have no idea what the problem is or how to fix it…

@eek626 wrote:

Happy Holidays Everyone.

I just checked my Ring app and the flood light I had problems with is now showing firmware is up to date. Snapshot Capture is now working as well.

As for the issue of the lights turning on every 30mins I am not sure. My flood light that had problems is in an area of my backyard that I don’t have direct visibility on.

Check and see if your flood cam now have a firmware that is up to date and if it fixes your issues.

I see now… On my 2 floodlight cams with the older firmware (not up to date) snashot capture doesn’t work and the lights are more sensitive. On my other 2 floodlight cams the firmware is up to date and snapshot capture works just fine.

Note: I spent an hour with support trying to get my 2 old firmware cams to up date (power cycle, reset, re-setup, motion envents, etc). Support guy was unsuccessful - nothing worked. His last stance was “the lights will likely up date on their own, call back in January if they don’t” - :frowning:

I’ve had no luck either.

On my 3rd set of floodlight cams - same issue as before with the lights triggering!

Still on old firmware version - giving up hope that Ring will ever sort this one out

Why is Ring silent on this?

I’m having the same issue regarding the Ring Floodlights coming on every 30 minutes - like clockwork.

Ring remains silent on this issue and my product return date from Best Buy will be approaching in about 30 days.

I need to get my handyman back to take them down and replace the original analog floodlight within that timeframe, and, assuming the winter weather doesn’t impact this work.

I’d also be out the cost of installation and reinstallation of the old lights.

If Ring would just fess up, communicate with their customers, and offer insights, the customers could make informed decisions on how to proceed.

Ring…?

Well, if you’ve had this problem since at least Nov 17, 2019 - that I just installed my camera with the same faulty firmware (with no update yet) - I’m nearing the conclusion that this is a hardware problem - such that the most recent firmware cannot correct. Consequently, my best guess is that Ring would need to deploy a special firmware release to these faulty cameras, but not to others.

Maybe this is not a big mess for Ring, given that I suspect most of their customers have correctly functioning lights - but it’s a mess for those customers that have these unresolved issues - completely unrelated to their wifi networks, installation, app, etc.

Ring - own up to this, and communicate with your customers!

@Nacho Yes, it’s quite frustrating… seeing the floodlight go on and off all night/morning long. The floodlight cam is an expensive item, with limited functionality. Add to that the time and expense of setting up the floodlight cams each time. Neighbors have expressed concerns about seeing the lights go on all the time because they are worried that there might actually be an intruder setting off the lights. But with so many constant false lightings all night long and every night, it’s lost it’s main functionality as a security device.

It’s not clear to what extent Ring actually monitors the issues on this forum. Each time I’ve either called in or emailed Ring support, the response is simply that they are working to fix the issue but wouldn’t (couldn’t?) explain the cause. The fix seemed imminent about a month ago, but here we are almost 2020. From the Amazon reviews, it seems like people statrted observing and reporting this issue around July/August 2019. It does seem like there might be a hardware component of the all the problems (floodlights, inability to update firmware?) combined with a firmware (non-functioning snapshot?).

I emailed someone at Ring again yesterday to ask for an update. If I hear anything back or anything different, I’ll post it here.

Happy New Year to All!

@Nacho wrote:

Well, if you’ve had this problem since at least Nov 17, 2019 - that I just installed my camera with the same faulty firmware (with no update yet) - I’m nearing the conclusion that this is a hardware problem - such that the most recent firmware cannot correct. Consequently, my best guess is that Ring would need to deploy a special firmware release to these faulty cameras, but not to others.

Maybe this is not a big mess for Ring, given that I suspect most of their customers have correctly functioning lights - but it’s a mess for those customers that have these unresolved issues - completely unrelated to their wifi networks, installation, app, etc.

Ring - own up to this, and communicate with your customers!

Hey neighbors! Thank you all for your continuous engagement in this thread. Rest assured that all information gathered from this thread is being passed onto the team here. In the meanwhile, please continue to post your firmware version, along with the hardware version of your Floodlight Camera so that the information can be passed on as well. Staying in contact with our Support Team regarding any concerns is always recommended. We understand that you must do what is best for you all and we want to thank you for your participation in the Community!

I think I’m talking to a bot, but…

What we need to know is whether these Ring Floodlights stuck at 1.16.00273 are bricks or not.

@Nacho wrote:

I think I’m talking to a bot, but…

What we need to know is whether these Ring Floodlights stuck at 1.16.00273 are bricks or not.

Ring remains silent on this matter. If it were true, Ring could say that the firmware-stuck Floodlights will update to a newer version and provide an estimated timeframe. So therefore I conclude that my Ring Floodlight will never update, is a brick, and is to be returned to Best Buy.

With no meaningful insights from Ring on whether these are bricks or not and the continued problems that I’m having with the Ring Floodlight (lights coming on every 30 minutes, no Snapshot Capture, and no Color Night Vision) I’ve decided to ring in the new year by taking Ring out of my home.

My camera with these issues finally updated last night around 9PM MST and now shows up to date. Snapshot capture appears to be working now.