Extend the length of Live View (24/7 recording)

This is basic folks, remove the Timeout - let ME decide when to end my viewing.
If it is about Server activity, set it up so you can route the video traffic on your home network only. Win-Win.

@DesertColossus This comes up a lot. Unless Ring totally redesign how their products work it wont happen. Everything goes through AWS, alerts, live view everything. There is no local access to the device and I highly doubt this will change. They are just not these types of products. Also keep in mind Ring is not a CCTV system. Its an alerts based system. It does that fairly well but it wouldn’t make a good CCTV set up. If you want continual monitoring get yourself an IP/NVR type system.

Where there is a will, there is a way.
It wouldn’t be that difficult to create a version that bypasses AWS and is Local Only.

@DesertColossus It may not be hard bit that would open up a huge support area as well that they would need to take care of. Its just not the type of product they sell. Other question is why would you chose ring for this solution over an IP based system?

Have anyone figured out a way around the 10min issue?

I am considering whether to switch to another cam system. Do you have any recommendations on alternative IP cameras?

I agree that this is a WAY overdue and much-needed feature. After getting my first Ring camera, I know of at least two friends who went out to purchase one for themselves too. We all agree- this is a very frustrating oversight. The live view needs to be continuous, without interruption, or at the very least have a 4-6 hour time limit.

1 Like

I just messaged Ring on Facebook Messenger and they responded they have no news to share about extending the Live View. So frustrating!! How can they have no plans when it’s been the number one request/complaint since 2019?!

1 Like

Continuous live view needs to be a top priority in this day and age. Continuous recording is not important to me, just the ability to leave the stream on a tablet or phone etc. for puppy monitoring.

I 100% agree! This is a feature that is a must in todays day and age. Often times the recording starts so late after motion is detected that it doesn’t work as intended and the event is missed completely. Come on Ring!!! Please

How has this feature request been open for almost 2 years and still nothing is being done? @Chelsea_Ring
This is not a good look.

Guess I will need to return my indoor camera before the trial runs out. This is a deal breaker for me. And it doesn’t look like Ring will get it right any time soon. I don’t even need it to record but able to be viewed at any time with out a pop up opening up, them clicking it and then hitting the live feed button. By that time the person has already left our lobby area.

Even if there were a direct pop up of the live view instead of 3 separate actions to get to the live feed, that would be better. But it will go back to the store and I will find a live feed system that actually let’s me see what is happening without delay. Any suggestions?

What part of “Live Feed” are you missing. The question is not about recording, it’s about “Live Feed”. Please read the question before you press the preset answer button.

In today’s world, anything can happen. Nest and other security companies have a feature that implements 24/7 recording via the cloud, base station, or micro sd card. I’ve seen online that people will not choose a ring camera because it does not offer record 24/7. Motion detection on Ring devices may miss something or an event is out of their view. My neighbor’s house got their car broken into. Since they are across the street the motion detection did not capture what happened to their car. 24/7 recording would have helped and shown what happened. Customers can subscribe to the Ring protect plan to receive the 24/7 recording. Also, customers who are already subscribed will have the option to enable continuous recording. Continuous 24/7 recording will allow more reasons to choose the Ring ecosystem.

This would be very useful. I love the Ring cameras but that’s the only feature that is missing. I really want this feature to be added. It would be another reason for people to chose Ring.

4 Likes

I just called to request this exact feature and then came here and saw the same request!

It would be super useful as sometimes there’s an event that is not caught in time.

In fact, the whole reason that I bought the Ring was to deter or catch some kids that would frequently knock on my door and be gone by the time I could get out there. It was triggering my startle response from severe PTSD. You can imagine the added frustration from buying and setting up the Ring and having it effectively be useless for the intended purpose.

Finally today the camera caught them but only just as they were about to scooter off. Lucky for me, they scootered past my house again a few minutes later and I was able to confront the kid that stopped when I called after him and I was able to explain why it was mean and asked him to stop.

The fact that it took another 5-10 additional instances of this for the Ring to finally catch it in time, gives me little faith that other more sinister events would be caught on camera.

Development team, if you’re reading this, please add a 24/7 record and storage feature that will save continuous video for at least 24 hours so that it captures any events, not just the ones after motion is detected or the doorbell is rang. And if you do elect to help us with this feature, please have it save for at least 24 hours or more before being overwritten, in case we’re not able to download the footage quickly.

Thank you.

4 Likes

I really want this too. I am very tempted to go to the Nest IQ camera, just for that feature alone. The recordings are not always spot on or quick enough to capture everything.

Devs, hook us up!

2 Likes

Following and hope to have this feature soon!

1 Like

I’m following this as well. I have had multiple instances recently where 24/7 recording would have caught things in the neighborhood but missed out due to the Intruders not going into my motion zones.

My neighbors with Nest cameras are utilizing 24/7 recordings where I can not. This feature is desperately needed for Ring

2 Likes

Yes, this would be very useful. Ive miss a few events that have occured outside of the sensor zones. Im willing to pay extrat for this feature, since probably $3 or $10 a month wouldnt be worth it to the company.

2 Likes

I currently pay for Nest Subscription to have this feature. If Ring would add this, I would cancel nest and be fully on Ring with Cameras, Alarm and Doorbell.

3 Likes