Extend the length of Live View (24/7 recording)

This is another much needed, basic feature that should be intergrated within the Ring ecosystem that will not be implemented due to the fact that Ring does not want clients live streaming multiple cameras 24/7 due to cloud storage limitations/bandwidth.

Feature Suggestion:

Change the subscription model into different tiers. Create a high-end tier charging $xxx/year to increase cloud storage capacity/bandwidth that allows multiple camera, unlimited 24/7 Live View/recording without the 10 minute live view timeout. Implement the feature/option for Ring Desktop App Live View to record/save the live view session locally instead of to the cloud.

The more I keep researching Ring the more I am realizing the Ring ecosystem has geared itself for the basic grandma grandpa, mom and pop, false sense of security type of consumers. It is obvious the Ring is not gearing itself towards the actually consumers that want a full fledge, multi camera security platform.

Between the 10min limit on the desktop Live View timeout and the huge blunder of no Live View for multiple cameras I am starting to see who the Ring ecosystem is catering towards.

Not to mention other issues that I have like there not being visible time, date and current bandwidth when viewing live view.

HOWEVER, without eliminating the 10 minute timeout when viewing live view this feature of viewing multiple cameras on desktop live view is a useless as the Ring ecosystem as an actual full fledged security system.

The main issue here is not just Rings inabilty to listen to the loyal consumer, the real issue is us the consumer buying into a closed source system thinking we have any control over our personal security.

I bought into the idea of seemless intergration with Alexa, Ring and Lutron but a DIY IP Installation is the best solution for many of us.

**My 2k+ Prime Day purchase might be headed back to Amazon. **

4 Likes

I agree with the comment from 1eyeopen. Some of us understand it costs more to record more, but some of us would be willing to pay a bit more for it. I am all for 24/7 recording, but I would additionally recommend to keep the motion sensor notifications with that, and have the notifications show up on the timeline like you do now. That way we can kind of narrow down to smaller windows instead of having to scroll through the entire day.

3 Likes

This would be amazing. As it is I am thinking about picking up some cameras from another company so I have this feature.

1 Like

FULLY agree with this. This is exactly what we need and would be willing to pay extra for, other users have mentioned multiple pay tiers for this feature and existing features. This is beneficial to both us as the consumer and Ring as the provider in a wider range of services offered. More profit/clientele for Ring.

1 Like

I’m a little upset that after spending this kind of money I have a time limit when viewing live footage??? This goes along with your 24/7 recording. Even if we cant record… it would be nice at the very least to be able to keep the live footage pulled up where it can be monitored at times??? For instance if you have something going on outside that you want to keep an eye on … extremely basic… but instead i have to keep clicking the live view over and over and over on the windows desktop app… crazy…

1 Like

I would pay extra to have 24/7 video recording.

The 30 second Snapshot Capture, while better than nothing still falls a little short and does miss things I wanted to see.

2 Likes

I would switch from nest to ring completely if they can implement this

2 Likes

I would love the option of 24hr recording locally to my NAS drive if I paid an uncoupling fee maybe with key video still stored on the cloud. This would be the best of both worlds and in case of physical damage would still provide video evidence while providing 24 hours round the clock recording too. if Ring made an app for QNAP they could even offer playback from your own server or there’s which would reduce overheads. My consultation fee is small… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I agree, I purchased the doorbell and the floodlight for my parents house a year and a half ago. They are old fashion and send payments by mail, yesterday their payments were stolen from the mailbox and both the doorbell and floodlight cameras missed the footage. You can see a white car approaching and after, the mailbox open. nothing else. I also pay for the protect plus plan in my house because I have the alarm but more often than not, I only see the back of the person leaving.

3 Likes

Exactly. They would get a lot more customers if they implemented this feature.

3 Likes

I am going to return the ring cause I thought it did include this

4 Likes

I am in exactly the same boat and considering a return on the 3 devices I purchased last week from Amazon. I just assumed they had this feature as seemingly every other security device manufacturer has it.

2 Likes

I just purchased these cameras from Lowe’s today. Looks like I’m taking it back tomorrow. What’s the point if it doesn’t record 24x7

1 Like

i have 10 cameras total and im so upset , last night someone was trying to still my truck and it not capture when they get close or leave my parking , if they not add 24/7 option i will cancel my subscription and get something else …

1 Like

The motion event sometimes does not record enough or records late. That’s why 24/7 recording would have help in this scenario.

1 Like

I too would love this feature. I had $2k worth of cameras in my Amazon cart. I was just about to check out, and decided to do some last minute research before I pulled the trigger. I just assumed this would be an option. I expected it to cost more. And I was okay with paying more a month for this feature. But it looks like I’m going with Nest. I just can’t imagine how much business Ring has lost because of this. Hopefully Ring is paying attention here.

2 Likes

instead of 24/7 at least have record every motion the camera detects but only send notifications if motions are detected in a certain zone.

2 Likes

PLEASE PLEASE - I have 8 outdoor cameras that I use (non-ring) and use Blue Iris to record 24/7, they are great cameras but it involves upkeep at times, not much, but would love to replace at least 4 of these outdoor cameras with Ring. I just need the to record 24/7 and retention to be 30 days minimum.

I have bought into the whole ring ecosystem, moved from ADT SmartThings to ring, make this happen my good friends! This would be very useful! Or even allow me to record to software like BI - which I’d still gladly pay for the cloud portion regarding security every year…

1 Like

At this point, I am about to leave ring altogether to go to a competitor if I cannot get continuous recording options. The snapshots just don’t work for our needs.

2 Likes

MUST HAVE !!!

Ring has a fantastic opportunity to OWN the home security market. They are so close. Before the competition catches up and customers flock to another company that better suites their need I would suggest the filling items. Fast!

24/7 Recording
Ring Team. Its 2021 you MUST HAVE 24/7 continues recording. You have a leg up on Nest right now due to having your premium cameras support POE I currently have 16 exterior cameras and went with Ring due to the POE capability.

4k Support
Although you are lacking on the resolution side only offering 1080 Cameras (dud) I still used your company for my full home security. Nest offers 4k sensors and I would like a premium camera option for 4K I dont care what it costs I will. buy them. Exterior Cameras!

Live Video Playback Time Out
The most ANNOYING thing here that is making me consider switching is the Live Video time out when viewing live video. I would like to have my cameras displayed on my second desktop when in the office that offer live video stream that do not time out!

Apple Support
I am forced to use Hoobs to connect my cameras to apple home kit which automates my 96 devices in my smart home. Due to the lack of apple support Hoobs allows me to have my cameras in apple home kit. I would like you to have Apple Intigration into home kit to allow me to use the full features offered by apple and its home kit settings. Not everyone uses Alexa. I hear “Alexa” and run, I am an apple lifer. Please get this added.

Desktop App
The desktop app needs ALOT of work. You cannot view multiple cameras in a 6 camera viewer for example. You can only see one camera until it times out. The cameras open randomly on your desktop when they detect motion and even then they are in this tiny little box that seems to open on any window I am currently working on very frustrating. Users need MORE options in the desktop app it can be so good!

Motion Zones
I can’t stress this enough, Motion Zones need to have their own custom alert settings and recording settings. I would like to be able to issue “Zone 2” for example to notify me in a bold notification as well as start recording when it detects motion which will allow me to have only my “side Gate” on that zone while maintaining recording in Zones 1 & 3 upon motion without notification when a leaf blows on my driveway.

Access Controller Pro
The access controller pro already has this in the Q to be fixed. I have 2 main entrance gates and one man gate used for in home delivery. I would like to be able to connect all of them to my Access controller pro and when viewing each entrance on their separate ring widow door bells I need to be able to open the gate that is associated with those ring door bells when gusts or my wonderful step mother comes to my home.

There are much more things to add but my fingers hurt so we will leave it at that for now…

7 Likes