Doorbells Feature Request

Google nest isn’t the answer people think.
Read here about what their doing to work with Nest devices moving forward.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/9/18537331/google-nest-cancellation-assistant-smart-home-integration-report

Would be great if you could adjust the motion sensitivity for alerts by the zone and not overall (the same setting has to apply to all zones). Some areas of the view you may want to have more alerts from whereas others, you may need to limit to avoid false notifications.

3 Likes

Half of my my Ring Video Doorbell 2 image forever shows the wall of my front doorway. It would be awesome if the Ring app would allow me to crop and transform the image (similar to what I can do with photos or video in the iPhone’s Photo app), so the video feed could focus on the important sections.

A nice side effect would be to automatically exclude cropped portions of the video feed from motion detection.

Guidance for when the ring pro doorbell cannot be installed 4ft from the ground (seems to be lots for when it is installed greater than 4ft).

Accessories (wedge to point upwards?) to assist this problem

I would like to see more integration with IFTTT, particularly some action instead of triggers. I am interested in seeing actions that turn off notifications based on triggers from other IFTTT services.

Larry

More customizations per zones, what’s the point of having zones if you can’t customize them. For example want a zone to record on motion and not get alerts and another one to record and get alerts. Also motion schedule section should be per zones.

I can’t believe these options are missing, gettig alerts on every motion is annoying.

4 Likes

This may have already been requested. Sorry if it has. I would like to see a reboot option on the software for the Ring Doorbell. Any computer type device needs to be rebooted every so often. The only way to do this is on the device ? Pretty hard to do if you’re 2000 miles away.

1 Like

I have been experiencing the issue with false notifications in the evenings due to headlights. I have tried all combinations of zones, sensitivity, angle and corner wedges. None have really helped. I have been assisted by a Ring support analyst throughout this ordeal. She has been great and very attentive but unfortunately I have resigned myself to setting it to People Only in the evenings which seem to be the only option that works.

It would be nice to have an option in the Ring app where you can set it on a schedule where it would switch to People Only based on a schedule as you have for the Motion Schedule

The video doesn’t recorder

Feature wish list: An outdoor, louder siren would be great, friends use Simplisafe and their siren is much louder. Longer record times with maybe the option to change the record times. (When motion is detected device records for 30, 60, 90, 120 seconds) Also, better motion capturing, we have motion as sensitive as possible and often times the person or car who triggered the motion are halfway through the image before it starts recording.

Would like to be able to replace my garage door button (the button used to open the garage from inside the garage) with a Ring video doorbell type unit that would not only allow for an interior view of the garage, but that could be remotely triggered to open/close the garage door. This would solve the problem of people forgetting to close their garage door with their remote and finding out later it’s open and unable to do anything about it, or allow the user to open the garage door remotely to allow access to others. This would also be a cost effective alternative to having to purchase a new wi-fi enabled garage door opener unit.

1 Like

I would like to change my WiFi password every X months. It would be nice not to have to: remove the camera cover, press the button and walk the camera through setup again.

Thanks.

3 Likes

I would like to have “Live View” available from a desktop browser.

Rationale: Sometimes we are waitign for someone and its easier to watch for more than 30 seconds from a standard windows browser.

4 Likes

This should be more intuitive. I dippes my toe in the home automation with a pair of echo spots to have wifi music in my den/studio. One thing led to another and have reached the limit of “things” to automate using plugs and lights.

The reason i brought this up was an Apple only house, we used an Airport extreme dating back to 2003, and realized i had to go through the same setup process with every device bound to the 2.4Ghz network with the new router. Ring was killing my wifi and went from 1-5mbs to 50-60mbs, almost as fast as my 4G cell data rate! I bought a TPLINK Archer A7 and was amazing that my internet connection was so out of date.

Long winded answer to vote yes on this feature request. Alexa integration could be smoother as Alexa should recognize and display the live view as a security cam but doesn’t think my iphone is capable of showing except thru the Ring app. I also bought an echo show 5 and its about as useful as an alarm clock. Love the hatdware, but the interface could be improved.

1 Like

Definitely some good ideas here, but all I really want is something very simple… I’ve asked for this before (a long time ago) and never noticed any development/release.

I REALLY want to have my front and back door bell generate a DIFFERENT sound on THE SAME Ring Chime Module. I have way too many of these plugged in around the house because of the need to have one for each doorbell, in each location.

Seiously folks, the doorbell installed when the house was built in 1961 was able to do this. How about modern day technology? This is really a little ridiculous. I’ve actually been considering an entirely different product because of this. I’m tired of having the house littered with chime modules.

2 Likes

Many good suggestions here for improvement of the Doorbell system and I have a few to add myself but for now I am asking for a fix in a feature without which I would never recommend the Ring system to anyone: Functional central control of doorbell motion alerts from a single phone or device that propogates to all devices linked to that doorbell. The idea is that why should my wife be receiving motion alerts on her phone while at work when I have come home and have snoozed the alerts on my phone because I will be in range of the doorbell and setting off the alerts for a time? This also holds true for setting timed alerts too.

We should not have to call up every Ring app on every phone, pad or digital assistant in order to have a central control over the motion alerts. That is just patently ridiculous. That is the antithesis of home automation if you ask me. I would never purchase a zoned HVAC system that required me to go into every room of my house in order change temperature settings. That is the purpose of a central control. Since everything we do on Ring is reliant on the internet (BTW, I endorse those asking for LAN backup control too) it seems the Ring app should be able to propogate the doorbell settings to others registered to that device.

I am frankly surprised that I didn’t find this fix request already in this thread as it seems central to the functionality of the whole Ring system.

2 Likes

We have multiple Alexa devices in our house. I would like only 1 device to announce and show our front door, but when our Ring picks up motion, it announces on all of our devices in the house.

Hi i have video door bell me and 3 share user 1 share user motion keeps getting off not working whats the solution ?

Motion Zones: Advanced adjustment.

It would be great to be able to have more control on adjusting the motion zone. Currently it is just an Arc that you can make larger or smaller, I’d like to draw my own motion zone for where I’d like the camera to observe motion.

I have a road in front of my house and driveway to the left, I’d like to capture if someone pulls in the driveway, but in order to do that I have to expand the arc which hits the road as well.

If i could either a) flatten the arc and make more of a straight line, or b) draw my own custom zone, I could detect motion where I want.

PS: The three zones don’t help here either, if I turn off the center zone to avoid the road, I completely remove sensing in front of the door.

2 Likes

But its not answering my question why motion keeps getting off?