Blank video download

I’ve got a weird issue where I can see videos through the app perfectly, however the downloaded version is often corrupt. Anyone else getting this??

• A 1 min video file (viewable without issue through the website and app) is downloaded as 40s
  • Video is completely black (other than the ring logo).
  • The logo is in the bottom left corner (usually the logo is top right?!)
  • The file size is tiny (34KB), usually they are around 18MB.

I only have a small sample size, but seems to only happen with captures taken at night time, though some are fine, so it’s not consistent.

Tried contacting support - but the suggested fix didn’t work (didn’t expect it to). They said to uninstall and reinstall the app.

As mentioned, viewing through the website is fine, and through the app is fine - however if I want to keep a video it’s a problem (if there’s an actual security issue and I need to send the video to the fuzz there may be complications).

I’d suggest it’s whatever process ring are using to manipulate the video to add their logo. Perhaps a minor issue with the original recording file causes their process to fail.

I’m using 2 of the new ring stickups (issue happens on both) - hard wired eithernet on one, powerline ethernet on the other, FTTC broadband, 35Mb down, 20Mb up. However as mentioned the videos are fine via the app (so it’s obviously not the cameras, or connection), it’s just the downloads that fail.

Just to add to my logo rendering theory.

If I open the video in a web browser - the right click, “save as…”, I get the video as expected (and without a logo). So the raw data is all there.

I’ve just got the same issue as you. A blank video of 40secs with the Ring logo on the bottom left. It’s possible to download the raw/original video but there isn’t any timestamp affixed.

Anyone has any idea how the video file (with the timestamp) can be forced to be re-encoded?

Thanks.

Thank you both for sharing these symptoms in detail. We’ve delivered this to our team who is investigating right now. I’ll be sure to update this thread with any information as it is received.

Did anyone resolve this issue? Can’t seem to find any solution to this… I can view the video but when I download the video is just black and blank…

1 Like

Getting the same issue, three users here, same symptoms.

Hey neighbors! If you are still having this black video error, please check out our Help Center Article here. In the event you still have this concern after doing some troubleshooting, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Nothing to do with the router…

As I said a year ago (and others reported)
“If I open the video in a web browser - the right click, “save as…”, I get the video as expected (and without a logo). So the raw data is all there”

Hi

I also have the same issue as described.

It is important that a certain Ring video be saved so a solution is needed.

thank you