Option to turn off Night Vision on Ring Cameras and Doorbells

Came here to say the same. Switched from the Nest doorbell to the Ring Pro2 and very disappointed in night video quality. Picked up the new Wyze cam floodlight compared my Ring floodlight Plus and for half second as the ring looks good as it switches between lighting modes and for the life of me I can’t figure out why Ring doesn’t give you this option. The Wyze cam Floodlight that uses the v3 camera is just absolutely spot on at night. I will be returning my 5 Ring products and switching to Wyze till Ring gets this sorted out.

Please make ring cameras capably of reading LP# day and night. We need LPR for sure. That is far more important than turning off night vision.

OK I’ll bite, what is LPR?

License Plate Reader - Automatic number-plate recognition is a technology that uses optical character recognition on images to read vehicle registration plates to create vehicle location data. It can use existing closed-circuit television, road-rule enforcement cameras, or cameras specifically designed for the task. - Best License Plate Recognition (LPR) Security Cameras

1 Like

Wow, been over a year already. I don’t think Ring is listening, guys.
Glad I kept my Nest cam. It’s time to junk the ring cameras and doorbell from my house.

Iv just installed a ring pro 2 doorbell in place of my nest hello, I cant believe ring wont allow to turn off night vision, what a rubbish picture, the hello is full colour at night and the ring is very dark, it did flick to full colour for a few seconds lastnight and it looked perfect, then back to dark again, sort it out ring, this post is 2y old.

1 Like

Please add this feature

Hi. I have been very disappointed of the spotlight camera video quality in night vision. I wiah ring can have the feature to turn off the night vision when the spotlight camera, detect motion and the light feature is turn on. A YouTuber did a little"hack" with a fiber-optic that he tapes one end to the Infrared sensor…and the other end to the light…to trick the spotlight it’s still day time…the video quality is way way better that u can see someone’s face clearly.
See it for yourself. httpss://youtu.be/cTqZp92qB18

Please allow the Infrared lights for Night Vision to be turned off on the Flood Light Cam or any Ring Cam for that matter. There are many places that light reflection is an issue.

I’d like to suggest the option to disable IR lights at night or disabling night vision on doorbells the same as you can on Stick Up Cam Battery’s. The footage therefore remains colour for those who chose to turn it off making anyone caught on the footage more identifiable rather than using night vision footage. I live in an area with street lighting and sensor lights on my house however they are not bright enough to turn the night vision back into colour. When I chose to disable it on the stick up cam battery the footage is much clearer with my security lights.

1 Like

This is already an available feature on the Ring Indoor cam, due to infrared lights creating too much reflection on the inside of windows at night.

I think it should be a selectable option on all the cameras. Because if there’s enough ambient lighting at night where the camera is set up, these cameras are able to give a decent color picture even if surroundings are dim enough for night vision to auto activate. In these cases, the night vision just turns everything black and white. We should be able to turn off the infrared if we want, just like on the indoor cam.

It doesn’t work, I have tried it, I had to send the camera back as it was no good to me. Found another that works through a window now.

I would like to see a button in the Ring app that would allow us to manually select between standard mode or night vision mode for each camera rather then this process being only automatic. This would help stop the annoying automatic switching backwards & forwards between the two modes when you have a camera in a variable light enviroment.

It is really a pain when you live on a busy street at night the night vision keeps cutting in & out every time a car drives past or when you have flashing lights nearby. Please add a button in settings to allow us to manually turn on/off night vision on each of the Ring cameras that we choose rather than have this be done purely by the app on an automatic basic

What?!? No on/off night vision feature. Dammit, already drilled holes and installed the Ring. If I wouldve known that I would’ve told my wife not to purchase it. May have to uninstall, fill the holes and return it. Ring open your eyes and read. Everyone and I mean everyone wants the on/off night vision feature. Make it happen!!!

2 Likes

ARE PEOPLE JUST BEING IGNORED?
The only CAMERA IN THE WORLD, where I can’t turn the CRAPPY night vision, off.
FIX THIS. I PAID FOR A PRO.
Any PRO should have the ability to CONTROL NIGHT VISION.
Are the NIGHT VISION PIRATES paying you to ignore this request?

Yes!!! Would love this feature for my video doorbell. My video quality is so much better when I tape over the infrared lights

1 Like

This one is with the infrared lights uncovered

Wow! That says it all!

For situations where there is enough ambient light (i.e. from a porch or post light) for a natural-color view, but not enough ambient light to prevent the light sensor from switching from daylight mode to night mode, please consider adding a toggle to disable/ override the light sensor. In this situation, the natural-color view is preferable to the artificial “color night vision” option. Thanks for the consideration!