License Plate Recognition

I also want license plate recognization… it’s unfortunate it can’t read a license plate 20 feet away

Recently a truck backed into my driveway. I thought of zooming in to capture the license plate but got really disappointed when I realized that ring camera resolution is so inferior and when I zoomed in the image got so grainy that there was no way I could make up the numbers. The truck was in my driveway and I could not see the numbers!! The truck was parked 10-12 ft away from the camera. How is this camera helping me keep my house secure?

Super frustrating that my ring cameras (3) do not capture license plates. Even in perfect lighting conditions you cannot read plates. Hope that Ring will come up with something otherwise I will look for alternative.

Existing Ring cameras just don’t have the resolution to do this effectively so unlikely they could just add it on as a feature. Ring have stuck with highly compressed 1080P for all their cameras (likely to make them work on as wide a range of customers internet connections as possible given Ring’s volume of sales vs others), you really need 4K to do NPR/LPR properly. They would also need to build it into their settings/eco system.

Rather let them solve it then provide them excuses.

License plate readers are available from many vendors. But they don’t incorporate with the Ring.com application, dashboard or notifications. Also it’s best to have all your security devices under one umbrella. Ring could incorporate license plate reading software with their 1080 cameras and (optionally) have it mounted on a ground post with a solar panel for power. Having a picture of a car with its license plate identified would improve the security value of ring cameras. Also this software could be incorporated with their new ring car dash camera.

My Man. :us_outlying_islands: It’s comments like this that keeps me feeling free.