IOS App 5.21.0 Update Solar Charger Status – Add a Ring Solar Device to Extend Battery Life

Hey neighbors! When you go into your Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Device connected to solar panel > Device Health, does it show that there is a solar panel connected? If your app is not showing the solar panel as connected under your Device Health page, you will want to ensure the device is connected properly. I recommend detaching the solar panel from your device and then attaching it back, while also ensuring that there is no dust and debris on the solar panels and at the connection.

After checking the connection, if you find that it is still not showing as connected in the Device Health section, please try resetting your Ring device (not the solar panel) by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, re-establish the connection your device has in your Ring app by tapping on Reconnect or Change Wifi Network under Device Health. This will take you through another setup of the Ring device in the Ring app. Once completed, check the Device Health again to see if the solar panel is showing as connected. If the device is showing as connected, please ensure you are getting 4 or more hours of direct sunlight to the solar panel during the day to allow a trickle charge to your device. You will also want to ensure that your device is not discharging more than it is charging, as you may have an excess amount of events that could be draining the battery on your device.

In the event you may not see the solar panel connected still, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Right now it says ‘Established.’ (See attached) A few days ago I checked and it said ‘Connected.’

Is there any guidance on what either of these terms means in this Ring context?

But my ask is, how can I tell just how much power is being provided by the solar charger? This was my question in December. Then, when I talked to a Ring customer service rep, it seem like I was only getting an insignificant trickle of power, and I had to wait until summer to see something significant.

I figure by this time Ring must have some data on solar chargers, and how much power can be expected at a certain lat-long, at certain exposures. I was hoping there was some kind of app that could tell me if my charger is working as well as it could, or not. Are there benchmarks on performance to which I could compare?

All the marketing materials suggest that with a charger, a customer’s battery swapping problems are over. But it does not seem like the solar charger really extends battery life all that much.

And most important there is performance data that Ring techs can see, but is not being pushed to consumers.

Hi @ln001! The Established indicator you are seeing was a recent change that we made to the app, as we look to refine how the solar panel shows it’s connected on the Device Health page. If you see “Established,” this is the same as the “Connected” status, and therefore should not be a cause for a concern. If you see Not Connected, Not Charging or Not Established is when the Doorbell is not detecting the solar charger and should be looked into.

As far as power received by your Ring device, from the Solar Charger, this can differ based variables such as number of events, hours of direct sunlight, and more. The Solar Power Rating is 0.52W; 5.2V DC. Feel free to check out our help center article about the Solar Charger for more information. :slight_smile:

It just seems to me that the entire Ring range is buggy, You fix one problem just to be met by another. I have 8 Rings by the way. The solar problem is the one annoying me this week and yes I reinstalled the solar with same result. It is clearly a software problem.