security, safety, screw size for video doorbell (2020, 2nd generation)

Hi, I wanted to get some replacement security screws for video doorbell 2020, 2nd generation model. The one without the removeable battery that records in 1080p. I asked ring help about this and they kindly sent the screws (along with a screwdriver, nice touch). Unfortunately, when I looked at the screws they were the wrong ones! The ones they sent and mine are both torx screws (with a little hold in the hole in the top). But at the bottom there is a thread and then a smooth part. The smooth part on the ones they sent were smaller than (not as long as) the ones with the doorbell. It is not a huge difference but it is noticeable.

I am wondering if it is safe to use. I also don’t know which doorbell these screws belong to but I think it is really silly to have different doorbells have different size security screws, especially if the doorbells are the same size (ie video doorbell (1st and 2nd generation) and the video doorbell 2 and 3). Thanks, Yasmine

1 Like

@yasdaz wrote:

Hi, I wanted to get some replacement security screws for video doorbell 2020, 2nd generation model. The one without the removeable battery that records in 1080p. I asked ring help about this and they kindly sent the screws (along with a screwdriver, nice touch). Unfortunately, when I looked at the screws they were the wrong ones! The ones they sent and mine are both torx screws (with a little hold in the hole in the top). But at the bottom there is a thread and then a smooth part. The smooth part on the ones they sent were smaller than (not as long as) the ones with the doorbell. It is not a huge difference but it is noticeable.

I am wondering if it is safe to use. I also don’t know which doorbell these screws belong to but I think it is really silly to have different doorbells have different size security screws, especially if the doorbells are the same size (ie video doorbell (1st and 2nd generation) and the video doorbell 2 and 3). Thanks, Yasmine

Hello @yasdaz ,

In August 2020, my neighbor purchased the Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation). The attached picture is of one of the two Security Screws (sounds like the screws that Ring Support sent to you). I have noticed that on the Ring Store, the titled item “Video Doorbell (2nd Gen)” is no longer there, but instead there is a “Video Doorbell 2020 Release”. I believe this is the same doorbell. Probably because there had been a lot of confusion between the older “Ring Video Doorbell 2” model and the “Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen)” model (which are indeed two different doorbell models, but both use “2” in their official name). The titled “Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen)” is the same price, same non-removable battery, and same 1080p, etc., as the “Ring Video Doorbell 2020 Release”, so that’s why I believe it is indeed the same doorbell with just a new official titled name, and therefore you have the correct security screws.

If you’re still unsure, just go slowly when you insert/screw these in, and stop if you encounter any heavy binding. They should, if the correct fit, screw in very easily, and you’ll find they do prevent you from removing the doorbell off its mounting bracket.

Yasmine, Don’t lose that Ring Orange Screwdriver! Those are improved Security Screws and have a tiny protrusion in the torx screw-heads, so that now a same-sized ordinary torx screwdriver bit will not be able to engage the screw-heads (although there is a trick that can be used if you do misplace that Orange Screwdriver, which I won’t write here). And since these screws are for security, not for true attachment, I highly recommend you only tighten them til lightly snug, not cranked down tight (later you’ll regret cranking them down when you stuggle to remove them after the weather has had a chance to ‘work’ on them).

Hope this helps you :slight_smile:

1 Like