Ring doorbell 2 community

I have the same audio issues in night mode ( high pitch hum) with my ring 2, tried the same things you did, no change
I will be installing a second one on my back door in a day or 2, I’ll see if that does the same thing, you would think by now these bugs would be fixed

Jostel21- Who is your Wifi provider? I have Verizon/Frontier and have been told by the Ring Adv Dev Group that I need a UDP of 2mps and my Modem is set at 1mps. I have no idea what all of that means but the lower UDP will cause distortion when receiving and transfering video and audio. It’s a setting that can be changed. I’ll be calling my provider today to discuss.

I don’t believe that for one minute. We need to quit allowing all these so called tech people at Ring or the Cable company telling us to change settings, buy this, etc. As long as you have a good signal to the doorbell.

The one thing they do not tell you is to look at your app on your phone (in my case it is the iphone), and go to Device Health. You may get a “good” on the voltage but that isn’t always the problem. Look at the signal strength. The range is between 0 to -100 (yes, that is minus). The higher the number, the better your doorbell, especially the audio will be. If it is low, say, under -50, you will get choppy audio. Simply moving you router by a few inches could very well increase the RSSI to -60 or higher. I said before, don’t let them tell you to bt this or that. The only thing you could do in this case would be the Ring extender. It helped for me.

I am now up to -65 and the audio seems to be 80 to 90% better most of the time. The doorbell does have a design or firmware problem, but this will help with some of that. Frankly, I believe it is a duplex problem with the doorbell. One of these days, I am going to re-do the board and isolate the speaker from the mic and prove to Ring this is the primary issue. But I will sve that for another time.

I also discovered something else. I watched the RSSI when it dropped to -43, opened the window, and what do you know, it immediately jumped up to -60. I foind that windows the have the low-E double pane glass will interfere with the signal no matter how much power your rounter has. So, placing the extender to the nearest interior recepticle to the doorbell will definately help. What I can’t explain, yet, is why the signal raises and lowers throughout the day and night. Back to Ring engineers for that one.

BTW, I have both the Ring 2 and Ring Pro. Same as above for both.

You have it backwards. I higher negative number is worse. Google it.
This is from Ring’s website.
RSSI Reading Meaning

-66 to -90 is critical and will likely cause a loss of functionality or be unable to maintain a usable connection the Wi-Fi altogether.

-65 to -41 is sufficient. Possible video issues if constantly at -60.

-40 or better is virtually no interference and a very strong signal.
You will also find this on many sites if Googled.

1 Like

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/217271526-Understanding-RSSI-Values-and-Wireless-Signal-Strength

1 Like

RSSI Reading Meaning

-66 to -90 is critical and will likely cause a loss of functionality or be unable to maintain a usable connection the Wi-Fi altogether.

-65 to -41 is sufficient. Possible video issues if constantly at -60.

-40 or better is virtually no interference and a very strong signal.

Common Results of Poor RSSI

• Poor RSSI Reading - If a router is an older model or is just not strong at broadcasting signal, the RSSI could be poor even though little interference exists between the router and device.
  • Battery Drain - your device battery may be draining quickly if your RSSI is between -70 or lower (Reminder RSSI is a negative number so -90 is lower than -70) because it is working hard to keep a constant connection.
  • Delayed Connection - when trying to open an event or Live View it may take longer to connect or possibly fail to connect.

Tips for -65 to -90

If you are having connectivity concerns and don’t have the best RSSI readings, a Chime Pro could help to strengthen the Wi-Fi signal to your device. Learn more about how a Chime Pro can help in this Ring Help Center article.

Ok you made your point. No need to make 3 posts on the same subject. We are all impressed. Well, maybe not.

Its a good thing that people are discussing this.

1 Like

I have the same volume issue and use an Apple phone so it’s not just android devices that are experiencing the problem.

My humble opinion is that the device connecting to the doorbell has nothing to do with the transmission device.

Since Amazon now owns Ring, and the Amazon flagship product is Alexa, Ring should not have volume issues with Alexa, period.

Once the problem is solved with Alexa, the other Android and Apple products will be solved.

If Ring cannot work with the Amazon Echo, there is a serious problem.

The problem is not going away, it will only exacerbate as time goes on with no solution. This should be a top priority for Ring and Amazon before this ends up in the media.

Just sayin’.

Piece of junk! I’ve had no speaker volume since day 1. They even sent a replacement and still have same problem
Bought a better router and now have a newer phone. Still doesn’t have volume. App is no good also. Someone presses the doorbell and a few minutes later I get a notice on my phone. Didn’t change with a new phone.

Biggest waste of $$$ I’ve ever spent

Need to use Rapid Ring App. Stripped down version of Ring App, very fast

I found that if you shut the speaker to hear the person outside off the volume is better. Then you have to togle back and forth.

1 Like

So from reading this forum, what I get is that the company did nothing to fix this problem. Everyone is having the same issue and so does the person I’m writing this for. For the people that submitted their videos (which I don’t see the point for the company to have, the problem is with the hardware) were your devices fixed? Can the person on the outside hear you?

For a device that is so much money it’s dissapointing garbage.

My wife has an Apple X and I have a Samsung S9. Same volume problem on both phones.

I just installed Ring for my parents. First thing I noticed is the lack of volume from the unit and no way to increase same. Very disheartening. I’ve had a Nest for over 2 years and have never had this issue. I thought Ring would be at least as useful but so far, not so much unless they fix this issue.

This worked for me and haven’t had an issue since. https://www.theandroidsoul.com/how-to-fix-low-speaker-volume-issue-on-ring-doorbell-on-samsung-galaxy-devices/

Guys I installed the ring doorbell today and have the same volume issues as the rest of you.

I haven’t got to the end of the thread yet, but so far it seems disabling event history is a help. Can someone please tell me how to do that? I can see no disable option on my galaxy s10. Cheers… Sly

Well I got to the end of the thread. Thanks for all the testing and updates. It’s a real shame that Ring seems to be completely indifferent to the significant problems with their product.

Anyway I rolled back the ring app to 3.16 so I could get to the new features option. I’ll test the volume later tonight.

Just did a little testing after the app roll back. Audio at the doorbell was much improved using my wife’s iPhone 7, although it probably should really be louder. Unfortunately there was no improvement using my galaxy s10.
Interestingly, I only rolled back the app on my phone. The iPhone still has the latest from the app store.