Ring doorbell 2 community

While not as loud as I would like, the speaker at the door bell does send my audible. I had my mike muted by default.

1 Like

Hey there. I’ve been followIng this post for months with no hope of a fix in sight. I’ve used the support chat, and all I get are walkthroughs on how to reset the device.
The people on this thread have been pretty patient. Is there a reason why we cannot get a simple statement from Ring acknowledging the problem? I’d hate to have to switch to another company, but this is getting out of hand.

1 Like

I will be posting an update after my 2PM Saturday phone support meeting with an “ambassador” for Ring that has taken a couple of weeks to schedule. I am guessing this ambassadorship label is some type of volunteer tech support program. After that call I will report back. I agree, you have all been patient and that this should be recognized as a major issue. By the way, I pointed the Ring support directly to this thread via a link so it is not like it somehow escaped their attention. They must have read it and do not believe it.

2 Likes

@F50 wrote:
My nicely worded 1 star review was rejected by Amazon. That was a few weeks ago however.

Mine was accepted and I have had Amazons Executive Community Support contacting me to offer assistance, unfortunately only 9-5 in the week…

That’s awesome. I also sent a link to this thread when I reached out to support but it didn’t have any effect. I know the reps were just following SOP for basic troubleshooting, but we are way beyond that. Hopefully the “ambassador” will finally acknowledge that and put some customer-facing literature out in their Help Center outlining exactly what needs to be done here. After all this time, telling us to reset the device is never going to solve anything until Ring tells us explicitly that they have identified the problem and resolved it. If not, they need to at least offer us all returns or upgrades to different devices. Our doorbells are doing exactly opposite of what their commercials advertise.

I have exactly the same issue and now on my 3rd unit with people having to hold there ear up to the door bell to here.

Quick update. I received a call from tech support. We rebooted my router, reset the firmware on the doorbell, re-added the doorbell to the Ring app, and tested. I shared my doorbell so that he could answer my doorbell remotely. The conclusion was drawn that there is something wrong with the doorbell.

I mentioned the fact that when you press the ringer from outside, the chime sound is quite loud. Depending on how the embedded micro is wired to the amplifier (i.e. chime is just raw audio, voice is using the same audio/amp) then this suggests a firmware (software) issue and not a hardware issue (ex. bad speaker). The support person said that they have seen a strong chime and weak voice audio in the past.

In any case, a new unit is being shipped. I will report back after testing. I am not hopeful that a new unit will address the problem but I am willing to participate in the debug attempt.

Just as a test I recorded a pre-prepared audio file and connected my Alexa to the doorbell. The phone was held at the Alexa unit. I then created another recording outside, at the same distance that I used inside.

See links to MP3 files here:

At the Alexa:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ThXVyrlRUkURsQhmN9FVURn9-ZXB7drQ/view?usp=sharing

At the Ring doorbell:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16VaWbsryLryeE-9mtBZ2mtqhY865tNzJ/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

When I first reported this problem with my Doorbell 2 back in June, I noted that the ‘Chime’ audio was loud at the Doorbell but the audio from my phone was considerably muted. I have had 3 different replacement Doorbells (for a separate issue with Deco mesh access points) and all have performed identically in that the phone audio is so weak that it is inaudible to the caller unless there is zero background noise or the caller places their ear up against the Doorbell. I don’t hold out any hope for you unless they have sent you a product with new hardware or firmware that actually works.

I begrudingly paid my subscription knowing that this issue has persisted now for over 1 year.

1 Like

I’ve been following this forum for while and it seems to be that it is an unfixable problem. It’s not only Samsung as I’ve posted before, I have a LG G7 and can’t hear from the door bell unless it is very quiet outside. Not sure of my wife’s iPhone, but if this is an android issue, it’s time to move to another product. I’ve tried the “turn off time line” trick, no go. I’ve tried changing the noise canceling function on my phone, no go. Reset the door bell, removed, and reinstalled the app with no change. Even my ring stick up cam has a very low volume. I have half a year left on my ring protect subscription but it might be time to move along to something better. I have a Nest cam for 24/7 recording, but the latency is too long for proper door bell use. Someone let me know if you come across any good doorbell cam with a short delay and good service.

1 Like

Can we get the status of this issue at Ring? It would be good to know if engineers are actively working on the issue, has Ring been able to duplicate the problem, and if “yes” what are plans for a fix.

1 Like

I’m starting to think these ENGINEERS live in their mothers basement.

although I didn’t really buy into the RING products for 2-way (the rest of my perimeter of my house is mostly BlinkXT cameras with only one-way audio), I did buy the RING floodlight cam also. The speaker is not much louder on it either, even though it has an alarm on it!

The commercials on TV where they are talking to someone half way across a lawn is a joke. NEVER gonna happen with the way these things are now. The firmware needs an upgrade to take ANY input and set an output level to a hearable setting. If the doorbell itself is loud enough there is NO reason voice shouldn’t be too. This issue seems to be across ALL RING Products.

1 Like

I encourage everyone reading this thread to move on and find a better product. I wanted to give Ring the benefit of the doubt here, but it’s ridiculous how long a major flaw has gone unfixed and unacknowledged. I could understand this type of stonewalling for something trivial, but this is a hallmark feature that is the crux of their advertising. Really a shame, and I was not expecting to have to cancel my membership and start looking for a better product so soon. Ring’s inability to even acknowledge our concerns is insulting.

Tbh, the only way to influence a corporate is by reviews, people read reviews as does Google, too many bad ones and your ranking goes down. …

I am surprised no one has the ASA checking into the realism portraid on adverts…

posting for a friend

Agreed. Ring is owned by Amazon. Time to go to their page and start creating negative reviews. Maybe then they will do something.

well, be fair, otherwise Amazon will refuse the review, I love my Doorbell, it is useful, and cant get another one better yet, but it doesnt stop me from berating its poor performance in ‘some’ of its aspects, especially those shown in TV adverts.

Just sayin.

I just bought a Ring Doorbell 2 and set it up. As far as I can tell the speaker volume is fine. When I tested it with the iOS app, I could plainly hear what I was saying from a few feet away. It might be hard to hear it on a noisy city street, but in the suburbs it seems to work well. As such I’m thinking the issue people are having may be on the sending side, not the doorbell speaker itself.

My biggest issue with the Doorbell 2 is that the motion detection is all over the place. Sometimes I get videos of cars driving by, other times I don’t get videos until someone is right next to the door.

" It might be hard to hear it on a noisy city street, but in the suburbs it seems to work well. "

Suburbs here, multiple devices including Alexa tested. Not fine unless you have beyond excellent hearing. My girlfriend has superb hearing and she can barely make out the conversation at arm’s length. The commercials show people running awake from 30 feet after someone pipe’s up on the Ring remotely.

If you fine-tune your motion settings (running the motion wizard, and carefully read the instructions when running the wizard) you should not see false motion detection.

The issue with iOS appears having fixed two weeks ago.

I am experiencing the same issue where the person at the door can barely hear what i am saying. Were you able to fix the problem? if yes, how? Thank you