Ring doorbell 2 community

Yes I agree… terrible. What’s the fix?

The first step is Ring recognizing that there is a problem. They can likely adjust the gain in new firmware.

Turn off event history timeline

1 Like

That setting is probably specific to the device you are using to answer the door. I tried it and it does not fix the volume issue.

I also use Alexa to answer to door. You can hear quit well from the Alexa but the person at the door cannot hear you.

I have had both Ring and Ring 2 behave exactly the same.

This is a Ring firmware issue. The bell sound is plenty loud, just not the voice output.

To start.:

1. Turn off “Event History Timeline” under “New Features”

spent a few hours on phone with support a few months ago, still same issue. Was never corrected on that call and I have just basiclly given up trying to talk to people. This is a real issue and doesnt make sense since the doorbell chime itself is nice and loud. No reason the voice shouldn’t be as well.

“No reason the voice shouldn’t be as well.”

I concur. The question that I have is Ring support participating in this forum or are we talking to ourselves, singing to the choir?

"singing to the choir? "

probably.

I’ve been dealing with this issue since May. I’ve been following this forum since. There use to be a moderator, but the read and repeat probably got old.
I suggest putting out reviews to every review forum out there . Which explains to others that the ring does NOT work properly … for talking to the person ringing the bell. This is an on going issue…same complaint, same ineffective fix, same " we are aware and working on the problem". This forum is to ring customer relations. Let’s get this information out to the public in a big way Post public negative rating reviews everywhere hopefully people will stop buying it.

I am afraid that you may be right. It might require a slew of negative reviews before this priblem will be addressed. Amazon is probably the place. I see a one star review in the near future.

1 Like

Mine just went live on Amazon :slight_smile:

I just installed the Ring Doorbell Pro and have not been able to talk to, only hear, the person at the door. There must be a switch I’m missing.

My nicely worded 1 star review was rejected by Amazon. That was a few weeks ago however.

I was able to work around all of my doorbell 2 problems by doing 2 things. Reinstalling the app and not enabling the timeline feature solved the volume problem (already posted by another neighbor in this thread). Using a chime pro and connecting the doorbell to the chime pro network resolved the problem of live view sometimes not working - even though my router signal at the doorbell is excellent.

While not as loud as I would like, the speaker at the door bell does send my audible. I had my mike muted by default.

1 Like

Hey there. I’ve been followIng this post for months with no hope of a fix in sight. I’ve used the support chat, and all I get are walkthroughs on how to reset the device.
The people on this thread have been pretty patient. Is there a reason why we cannot get a simple statement from Ring acknowledging the problem? I’d hate to have to switch to another company, but this is getting out of hand.

1 Like

I will be posting an update after my 2PM Saturday phone support meeting with an “ambassador” for Ring that has taken a couple of weeks to schedule. I am guessing this ambassadorship label is some type of volunteer tech support program. After that call I will report back. I agree, you have all been patient and that this should be recognized as a major issue. By the way, I pointed the Ring support directly to this thread via a link so it is not like it somehow escaped their attention. They must have read it and do not believe it.

2 Likes

@F50 wrote:
My nicely worded 1 star review was rejected by Amazon. That was a few weeks ago however.

Mine was accepted and I have had Amazons Executive Community Support contacting me to offer assistance, unfortunately only 9-5 in the week…

That’s awesome. I also sent a link to this thread when I reached out to support but it didn’t have any effect. I know the reps were just following SOP for basic troubleshooting, but we are way beyond that. Hopefully the “ambassador” will finally acknowledge that and put some customer-facing literature out in their Help Center outlining exactly what needs to be done here. After all this time, telling us to reset the device is never going to solve anything until Ring tells us explicitly that they have identified the problem and resolved it. If not, they need to at least offer us all returns or upgrades to different devices. Our doorbells are doing exactly opposite of what their commercials advertise.

I have exactly the same issue and now on my 3rd unit with people having to hold there ear up to the door bell to here.

Quick update. I received a call from tech support. We rebooted my router, reset the firmware on the doorbell, re-added the doorbell to the Ring app, and tested. I shared my doorbell so that he could answer my doorbell remotely. The conclusion was drawn that there is something wrong with the doorbell.

I mentioned the fact that when you press the ringer from outside, the chime sound is quite loud. Depending on how the embedded micro is wired to the amplifier (i.e. chime is just raw audio, voice is using the same audio/amp) then this suggests a firmware (software) issue and not a hardware issue (ex. bad speaker). The support person said that they have seen a strong chime and weak voice audio in the past.

In any case, a new unit is being shipped. I will report back after testing. I am not hopeful that a new unit will address the problem but I am willing to participate in the debug attempt.

Just as a test I recorded a pre-prepared audio file and connected my Alexa to the doorbell. The phone was held at the Alexa unit. I then created another recording outside, at the same distance that I used inside.

See links to MP3 files here:

At the Alexa:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ThXVyrlRUkURsQhmN9FVURn9-ZXB7drQ/view?usp=sharing

At the Ring doorbell:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16VaWbsryLryeE-9mtBZ2mtqhY865tNzJ/view?usp=sharing

1 Like

When I first reported this problem with my Doorbell 2 back in June, I noted that the ‘Chime’ audio was loud at the Doorbell but the audio from my phone was considerably muted. I have had 3 different replacement Doorbells (for a separate issue with Deco mesh access points) and all have performed identically in that the phone audio is so weak that it is inaudible to the caller unless there is zero background noise or the caller places their ear up against the Doorbell. I don’t hold out any hope for you unless they have sent you a product with new hardware or firmware that actually works.

I begrudingly paid my subscription knowing that this issue has persisted now for over 1 year.

1 Like