Ring doorbell 2 community

Thank you for trying to help. Unfortunately, no matter what I try I do not have a way to turn off the “Event History Timeline”.

@MikeFL wrote:

Thank you for trying to help. Unfortunately, no matter what I try I do not have a way to turn off the “Event History Timeline”.

Look back through the thread a bit @MikeFL - I included link to where you can down-rev the app via an apk to have ability to turn that off

I sent back my Ring2 for refund - got the new Eufy Wireless - night & day superior in so many ways! And a great deal on Amazon right now.

Sorry Ring - just being honest, only to way to overcome the unusable Ring product (pitifully low volume at the doorbell and impossible 2-way communication with both late-model Samsung & i-phones) was to replace with competitor product that WORKED - if there had been at least some acknowledgement of these issues I might have been more inclined to wait for a ‘fix’ - but ‘deafening’ silence on that score.

My doorbell is the same way I upgraded to the best one and the volume is pitiful I received it in the mail and can barely here anyone what they are saying let alone they cant hear me

I have yet to try the fix provided by DEcosse a few posts back but I plan to in the next couple of days to see if it will help. Hang in there and maybe the community will eventually figure it out!

If the proposed solution does not work with Alexa, Amazon’s flagship prouct, it is not a solution.

Installing old Android .apk files to I turn off a time line features, with likely security implications, is not a solution.

What we need are solutions from Ring and in turn, their owner, Amazon. Amazon owns this.

@H_Smith wrote:

Installing old Android .apk files to I turn off a time line features, with likely security implications, is not a solution.

No argument there - I was merely providing a workaround (NOT a solution) for those who have been advised to turn off event monitoring, which option is not possible in current revision, and can’t find that.

Even if Ring restored the ability to turn this off in a current version of the app, that is STILL not a solution - just an easier ‘workaround’

It’s unfortunately another instance of a large corporation gobbling up a smaller organizatio, making $$$ off of them and abandoning any reasonable support or attempt to maintain a good, solid productline…

Agreed

UPDATE:
Facing down the barrel of a $600+ cost to migrate over to Google Nest (doorbell plus security system), I decided to give Ring support one more shot. They finally agreed to send me a new unit. Fingers crossed that this solves my issue. I’ll keep this thread updated.

1 Like

I upgraded from the Ring to Ring 2 as the regular Ring was not charging from the 24VAC, this cost $100. The volume was also terrible at the door.

When the Ring 2 volume was bad, I contacted Ring support. Support sent a new Ring 2.

The replacement did not fix the problem, support sent a Ring Pro.

The Ring Pro did not solve the problem and without explanation, they closed the support ticket.

Good luck with that replacement. It is a firmware (software) issue, not a hardware issue. Ring knows it. This delay tactic will not work. They offer no real solution.

I was also inclined to believe it was firmware, but if that was the case, wouldn’t the entire community or Ring Doorbell 2 owners be experiencing this? Seems like only a portion of consumers are affected, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to sweep this issue under the rug as they have been. I don’t have any consumer/sales data to support this. Just conjecture.

There are a couple of clues to indicate that it is a software issue.

Firstly, the ring tone at the door is sufficiently loud. This would suggest that the audio channel, amplifier, and speaker are not a problem. No one is reporting insufficient ring tone volume when the button is pressed so far as I am aware.

The second clue is that there was a work-around (that I believe might provide a solution for some, but not for me), is some old Android APK that turned off a time-line feature and then the problem went away. I believe I tried this and it does not work for me, that is not to say it does not work. If it works for some, it is a verification of a software defect. This could be inadvertently changing data on the unit itself, unrelated to this volume issue, and it is somehow affecting some defect in the code, who knows what that is? I have seen stranger things in the field with embedded systems.

If I had to guess, and this is a only a guess, they are running the output speaker and the microphone at the same time and using software tricks to cancel the speaker output to prevent feedback during two way communication. Otherwise, you need to run the speaker and the mic like a walkie-talkie (one speaker at a time) and that is not apparently what they are doing. This would suggest that software is in the mix. It may be they they are unable to tweak the software sufficiently to deal with this and they are not divuldging this. I would be happy if it was not simultaneous bi-directional communication. The problem there is there integration with the Alexa that requires real-time bi-directional communications. Change that and you break Alexa.

What I do know, given 35+ years in the embedded development world is that the current implementation is a big fat FAIL. I would be embarrased if this were my product and the reason is that I am successful (without stacks of gold bars in my offshore accounts) is that I never allow any failures to stand. I would fix them for free if I have to.

What we have here is completely different, they do not care, they have your money, and those bogus advertisements that show remote users yelling to stunned criminals continues. Eventually, sooner or later, this will catch up with them either through horrible PR coverage or perhaps damage relief sought in the courts. One way or another this will have a conclusion.

Whether Bezos is aware of this issue or not I am not sure. If I were him, I would get it straightened out before he gets a bunch of bad press and Ring goes kaput. They have their security products but these video doorbells are part of it. If the alarm is as bad as the doorbell, forget about it.

I have already considered it a lost cause and a $200 loss but I can assure you this is my last Ring product. I wasted a lot of time on this and I will waste no more. I will watch the train wreck from here on out.

I have the same issue with my ring doorbell; there’s no intercom volume control, all I can hear is noise and garble. Any solutions? Thanks!

Solved the same problem of low volume at the doorbell.

Many of the responses tell you to “check or select the microphone” or “enable the microphone”. What they don’t make clear is where that is done.

For me it was in my Iphone’s Privacy Settings under Microphone,

Iphone > Settings > Privacy > Microphone, then make sure the icon is green next to Ring or Ring App

As soon as that was done, everything worked great.

I spent several hours trying to solve this including Chat with a Ring Tech for at least 30 min and he never told me to check my Iphone Privacy Settings.

Hope this helps others. It was very frustrating considering the number of people I found complaning about this dating all the way back to 2017, and this is now March 2020.

Ring should be able to make this crystal clear in their documentation and help pages and Tech Support.

1 Like

Solved the same problem of low volume at the doorbell.
Many of the responses tell you to “check or select the microphone” or “enable the microphone”. What they don’t make clear is where that is done.
For me it was in my Iphone’s Privacy Settings under Microphone,
Iphone > Settings > Privacy > Microphone, then make sure the icon is green next to Ring or Ring App
As soon as that was done, everything worked great.
I spent several hours trying to solve this including Chat with a Ring Tech for at least 30 min and he never told me to check my Iphone Privacy Settings.
Hope this helps others. It was very frustrating considering the number of people I found complaning about this dating all the way back to 2017, and this is now March 2020.
Ring should be able to make this crystal clear in their documentation and help pages and Tech Support.

My problem is not that there isn’t any sound, it’s that you can’t hear/understand what people are saying. If you were on my porch and I was in my house and tried to say something to you, not only could you hardly hear me, but I would sound very muffled and distorted. So there’s sound, just horrible quality.

Well, my new Ring Doorbell 2 arrived promptly, courtesy of Ring support. I couldn’t believe my ears, but it actually works. We can hear it clearly from halfway up the walkway, which is about 15 feet from the unit.
Not sure what the implications are now, seeing as I was just about to completely abandon ship. Still a little gun-shy about their other products, but at least my immediate issue is resolved. Must have been a hardware issue, as I imagine my old unit was on the same firmware as this new unit. All I can advise to others on this thread is to get in touch with support, be steadfast and tell them that resetting/updating the device has not helped, and make reference to this forum thread. They agreed to send me a new unit with no resistance. Best of luck everyone.

Hi all,

The issues previously mentioned relate to audio on the device where callers could not hear the home occupant. My issue is the opposite. The callers can hear me (using Samsung Galaxy S10+) but the caller volume to me is bearly audible.

I would try turning off live view but don’t see the option in the app to disable this. Am I missing something?

I have Doorbell 2.

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

TIA

Hey guys… another victim here. Bought Video Doorbell 1 today from Bunnings. Using S9+ and having same volume issue.

Wish i’d come accross this thread earlier…

Going for a refund tomorrow…

The microphone setting on my IPhone as not the issue. It was already enabled. I am still having issues where not a single person can hear me talking to them via the doorbell.

I can hear them perfectly but even if they put their ear on the device itself they can hear that I am talking but it is so low that they cannot make out what I am saying. This was one of the main features that I bought this doorbell for and it has been a total fail. I am also dismayed by how long this issue has been open without a viable fix. :frowning: