Ring doorbell 2 community

I have exact the same issues as described above!

New Ring Door View Cam - very less doorbell speaker volume not suitable for daily use!

The clue is: My problem startet after activating the new “event timeline viewer” in the app. Before the audio at the door cam was much louder.

This seems to be a samsung specific problem, and there exists at least on temporary solution (which imprives the speaker volume a lot, but not as much as it should be).

see here in the samsung forums they are discussing the issue here:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/Ring-doorbell-speaker-volume-very-low-if-answered-ring-from/td-p/554160/page/3

The fix is on the bottom of page 3 and following.

This audio problem is due to how samsung handles the microphone processing, and a change RING did with introducing the “event history timeline” feature. turn this new feature off in the RING app and the audio is much improved!!

I think whats going on is the following:

ring app uses different microphone API (or audio interface) settings if you are using the app with or without the timeline viewer. with the viewer, some of the newer Samsung phones have problems in microphone processing, maybe due to the two mics for noise cancellation. The “old” RING interface uses an other method of getting the phones microphone input as the new RING rinterface will do.

So the problem relates to RING and Samsung. They both would be able to fix it. Samsung has to work on the noise cancellation, RING app has to be redesigned to use the same audio method as before the new “timeline event viewer”.

Hope this helps, as to figure that out was very stressfull to me, and at least I’m glad that it is not hardeware related and there is a temporary “improvement-fix” (as even with this method the sound is less loud than using a iphone or any other brand, and you lose the comfort of the new timline viewer…)!

A method to check: even on the video recordings the own voice is very low, after disabling the timeline-event viewer the sound in the videos would much improve… This is the proof that the problem comes from the mobile stream which the app delivers!

5 Likes

Hi neighbors, can you all please try deleting and re-adding the Ring app. Then let me know if you notice any audio changes with the Timeline Feature turned on. Thank you for being great neighbors!

Hi Riley,

I just did the uninstall/reinstall and activated the timeline feature…audio was terrible from my Galaxy S9+ and barely audible. I deactivated the timeline feature and tried again…audio was much improved and this can be seen and compared in the recordings.

Hi Riley,

I did this a few times during my investigations (see above), but did it again now due to your request!

The result stays the same: When using the timeline feature, the audio quality is horrible compared to timeline feature turned off! Even then it is sub-par, but this has to be taken care from Samsung.

The timeline feature is definitely broken, and unusable at the moment for a lot of Samsung users if they want to communicate over their ring-device!

This is a pitty, because the timeline view is much more comfortable to use… so please make a fix asap!!

If you have additional questions or things to try just let me know!

Thanks’ and best regards ,

Markus

3 Likes

I got the same results here after reinstalling the app on my S10 plus and S8. I downloaded the Ring app on my old iPad and also on my computer. Both tested out fine.

Additional info for Riley and others experiencing this problem:

I now installed the latest Android App update from Play-Store (V3.15.1) and the problem stays the same!

Although:

It seems to be that the audio quality with timeline feature turned OFF improved a little (it was working before, but not as loud and clear as on non-Samsung phones). It is still not on-par with the audio from other devices I know, but its definitely acceptable.

But:

With timeline feature turned ON, the audio is still unacceptable!

You can hear who is talking to you ok, but the app still does not aquire a correct microphone stream from the phone, therefore the person in front of ring wouldn’t understand the app-user!! Its WAY to quiet to be understandable. The “proof” that this is an ring-app problem is that the audio in the videos show exact the same behavior… The recordings are much less loud on the app-person side as on the ring-person side, WHEN timeline feature is turned ON. If OFF then the loudness is almost ok!

Sorry if I tell things multiple times, this is because I want to get sure you understand what our problem is, and should be not meant arrogant from my side…

Thank you for your work and efforts, please keep on helping us!!

Thank you and best regards,

Markus

3 Likes

The Ring audio problem on our Samsungs was the final straw. We bought new iPhones today. Can’t wait to try them when they ship Thursday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for working together on this. Your combined obervations and details on steps taken really is very helpful in finding a solution for everyone. @palolake , if possible, can you share to this thread a video example of two way audio on the Samsung and one from your new IPhone? Also, @ML1504 , examples of audio difference when the Timeline feature is off versus on, would be great if obtainable. While it looks to be isolated to Android, and more commonly Samsung, we will always look into what we can from our side.

Having found this forum has given me some answers to my audio problem. I have an LG phone and if I enable the timeline ability, the audio get sent using the phone audio volume setting and is VERY low. If I disable the timeline function, the audio level is set by the “in call volume” slider and is much, much louder. Hope this can RING troubleshoot this problem even more.

Hello Marley and Riley,

I have now example files for you! They are made with the latest Android App 3.15.2 which updated today!

The attached ZIPs contains two video files (mp4 filetype was not allowed for posting):

File one shows the recording with timeline feature turned ON:

RingVideo_20190714_020041_TLF-ON.mp4

File two shows the recording with timeline feature turned OFF:

RingVideo_20190714_020106_TLF-OFF.mp4

The way I hold my phone is in both recordings absolutely the same in terms of distance, position and loudness of my voice! The only difference is the timline feature (I call it TLF from now on) turned OFF or ON. If ON, the audio is much less louder, and someone in front of the ring speaker cant understand a word… If TLF is OFF, this works much better.

Therefore I would ask you to pass this on to the app engineers, as they have to ability to change the way the app obtains the mic stream.

A second thing where I would ask you to do something, if you are able to: The ring app for Windows 10 does not support my Door View Cam! All other ring devices are supported (as far as I can see), but the Door View Cam is not… Can this be changed as well, please!

Again, thank you very much for your assistance! Please let me know if I can further assist you! Now with the files I hope there should be a solution soon!

Best regards, Markus

RingVideo_20190714_020041_TLF-ON.zip (6.29 MB)

RingVideo_20190714_020106_TLF-OFF.zip (4.62 MB)

1 Like

Same issue for me. Samsung note 8 update had no effect. Purchased ring 2 weeks ago. Sounds great on cell phone speaker but the person at the door can only hear a faint whisper. I am almost yelling at my end.

3 Likes

I can’t thank you enough @ML1504 , for your resourcefulness and diligence in getting over these examples. This is exactly the information we like to send over to the team to help them better understand what is occuring.

In regards to the Door View Cam on Windows 10, we are currently working to bring Door View Cam compatibility to the Ring Windows 10 app. Thank you for your patience.

It is not just Samsung. It is iphone as well. I have an IPhone X. No audio going from me to the outside guest.

Now I just figured it out for my purposes. Apparently even though the doorbell rings and I get the live camera shot, until I hit the unmute button on the right and the green phone off hook button on the left is 2 way audio accomplished.

I just spent WAY TOO LONG on customer service help to not have them help me resolve this and my husband figured it out right away, while at work. Smh!!!

1 Like

HI Just bought the ring doorbell and first test we noticed the speaker volume is almost unhearable now why did Cnet not put that on their review, Ring can this be fixed with software?

3 Likes

How can this be fixed? I’m thinking of returning for a refund if the speaker volume and the microphone volume can’t be turned up

2 Likes

To ajv and JCug:

Without wanting to be rude, but do you have read the whole thread? I guess not…

Otherwise you would know what causes this error and what fix is temporarily available!

The problem occurs almost only if you have a Samsung mobile, and more important: it occurs only (at least for me and a lot of others) when the “timeline event feature” in the Ring app is turend on!

I already made example recordings for ring engineers (see top of this page), and I hope they are working on a fix with high priority!

Until this fix is available (until today it is not), I would strongly reccommend you to turn off timeline event feature, and two way audio (to be more specific: the mic stream from the mobile to the door-unit) is much improved.

If you have any other setup (no Samsung phone, timeline feature turned off) and you are experiencing audio problems, please let us know what device(s) you use…

Best regards, Markus

1 Like

Mine is having same issue… where it worked totally normal prior. Not sure when this started. Please fix.

1 Like

Hi DH82,

What exact issue do you experience?

Same as I (mic audio from phone to ring device very bad, but only when timeline feature turned on)?

What devices do you use? Samsung?

What do you mean with “worked normal”? Your audio was OK although Samsung mobile and timeline feature turned on?

This would be interessting…

If you want that the ring-support is able to help you, you have to provide at least the basic data of your setup and your problem…

@Ring: Are there any news regarding our problem?

Thank you and best regards, Markus

My iPhone XS MAX and my wife’s iPhone 7 Plus have same volume issue. Sitting side by side we both experience loud volume then low volume randomly.

This doesn’t affect the iPad