Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

fixed it with foil. pic here: https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Wired-Ring-Doorbell-not-Triggering-Original-Chime/m-p/70593/highlight/true#M23155

i fixed it with foil. pic here: https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Wired-Ring-Doorbell-not-Triggering-Original-Chime/m-p/70593/highlight/true#M23155

OK, I read through lots of the answers as I couldn’t get my wired doorbell working with my new Ring Doorbell 2nd Gen. It doesn’t connect this automatically, but I’ve done it now with some help from other answers. From the Ring App Dashboard, click on the 3 dots at the top right of your doorbell camera; then click on settings at top right; scroll and click on Device Settings; click In-home Chime Settings; then click Automatic Chime Detection; click Yes, I have an In-home Chime; click Ring my In-home Chime; then try it out by pushing the bell-push; if it works, then click My chime rang normally. Bingo, you’ve done it!

1 Like

I believe I have a 1st Gen Ring. None of these app options are available.
So, no solution yet.
Thanks anyway!

@aurorawatcher re: In the App, select the bell push in ‘Devices’ and go to ‘Device Settings > General Settings’. In ‘Internal Doorbell Settings’ set ‘Doorbell Chime Type’ to ‘mechanical’.

OMG! Thank you! This is the simplest solution, why the heck is this not in the ring manual or known by Customer Service? I have RVD3 and this was the fix!

GOT IT!!! FINALLY! I have the newest version RING-3 but this worked as well for my freind that has RING-2!! STEP BY STEP:

open RING APP

open MENU

open DEVICES

open FRONT DOOR (or your device name for door bell)

open DEVICE SETTINGS

open In-home CHIME SETTINGS

open AUTOMATIC CHIME DETECTION follow short prompts to “in-home chime”, then choose to have your existing bell work when the button is pushed…DONE!!!

I think RING makes the process a bit difficult so most folks are inclined to purchase their chime packages. The above definately works, it just needs a village to pass this information on. I was 2 minutes away from sending the product back, but it works just fine now!!!

Hi neighbors! Can you please provide the following:

• Device name
    • You can find the name of your device on the back. Some options include; Video Doorbell, Video Doorbell 2nd Generation, Video Doorbell 2, etc.
  • Is your Chime set to Mechanical or Digital
  • Is your device showing hardwired

_ For now, I am going to accept this post as the solution _ to hopefully be able to hear back from some of you guys on this thread and let the team know specifics. Thank you!

I have Ring Video Door Bell 2 (not second gen). There is no option to set to mechanical or Digital. The battery charges which indicates it is getting power from my existing transformer. I have two of the exact same models at different locations and they both operate in the same manner, will not activate the existing mechanical chime.

2 Likes

I am having the same issues with the Ring 2. My home chime just stopped working with Ring. The home works when I connect the bell wires together. (So it is not the bell).

Any suggestions how to fix this problem

Here are my comments interlaced with your instruction

_ GOT IT!!! FINALLY! I have the newest version RING-3 but this worked as well for my freind that has RING-2!! STEP BY STEP: _

open RING APP

Did this. - works

open MENU

Did this. - works

open DEVICES

Did this. - works

open FRONT DOOR (or your device name for door bell)

Did this. - works

open DEVICE SETTINGS

Did this. - works

open In-home CHIME SETTINGS

Did not work

I det the following submenus

Video Settings

Snapshot Capture

Alert Settings

Privacy Settings

General Settings

Partners

none of these submenus led to

AUTOMATIC CHIME DETECTION

open AUTOMATIC CHIME DETECTION follow short prompts to “in-home chime”, then choose to have your existing bell work when the button is pushed…DONE!!!

I think RING makes the process a bit difficult so most folks are inclined to purchase their chime packages. The above definately works, it just needs a village to pass this information on. I was 2 minutes away from sending the product back, but it works just fine now!!!

1 Like

Works now thanks to reading this… Thank you for asking the question.

Keith

Mechanical chime

I am having the same issue

Dude, I was about about to take off the new door bell I bought and send it back.

Thanks.

1 Like

I don’t see an automatic chime detection button on the app. Is it labeled something else?

Hey, neighbors. I see many of you are looking for the in-home chime settings in your Ring app. For those with a Video Doorbell (2020 release), Video Doorbell 3, or 3 plus, there will be an in-home chime setting. Please visit your specific Video Doorbell page in the Ring app, then select it’s Device Settings. There you will see from the list “In-home Chime Settings,” which will allow you to choose your chime type.

If you have a Video Doorbell 2 (different from the 2020 release), this option does not look to be available in the Ring app, although this model should not require any further alteration for the chime kit to work. If you have a Video Doorbell Pro, here is our Help Center article about disabling a chime kit, which contains the steps necessary to access these settings in your Ring app.

If it’s the Video Doorbell Wired, it will not ring your internal chime kit, which is noted on the product page here. To hear audio alerts in your home for any of your devices, you can pair your Doorbell with a Ring Chime or compatible Alexa device. I hope this helps!

I just installed my wired Ring Doorbell. I do not show any menus that allow choosing Mechanical Chime. HELP. The doorbell worked fine before installation of RING. The Ring hardware is working correctly as far as I can tell. I see video, hear my app’s ring, but no mechanical.

Hi @user3956. Which model of Ring Doorbell do you have? If it’s the Video Doorbell Wired, it will not ring your internal chime kit, which is noted on the product page here. To hear audio alerts in your home, you can pair the Doorbell Wired with a Ring Chime or compatible Alexa device. :slight_smile:

Hi All,
There’s so much incorrect information that it’s nearly impossible to filter out what’s real regarding compatibility between Ring doorbells and mechanical chimes.
Could anyone here provide a list of Ring doorbells that can trigger an existing mechanical chime, please?
Thank you for your reply and help.

Thank you. This worked great for my ring doorbell 3. I was about to replace the transformer and all kinds of wiring work. Just a couple of clicks in the device settings and it now rings my mechanical chimes.