Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

My doorbell chime worked fine hardwired but wouldn’t connect to ring. Then I put the battery in and my ring works, but the doorbell does not chime… even though it is still hard wired ?‍♀️

I had a 1st version ring doorbell, and recently upgraded to a newer model, I’ve been ringing my hands trying to figure out, why it didn’t ring my original house chime, like the original ring. Thank you for posting this, now my house chime rings again. Seems like this information should be included after you set up your new device, and not have to hunt down the information you need

Going into the device settings worked for me as well. Apparently it is not a direct physical connection between the ring button and the leads to the original doorbell. I can’t believe Ring doesn’t point this out in their quick start guide. I was ready to take the dorrbell back to Best Buy and try something else.

1 Like

I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by “it it is not a direct physical connection”. Are you implying that the connection magically jumps through the air? Changing the device settings has been posted many times. However it does not apply to ring video doorbell 2 As there is not an option in the device settings to change.

Yes, that’s pretty much it! The connection is a solid state relay. This means that the connection is made by a solid state device such as a triac (Google it). This does not show a measurable short circuit on its output terminals if you apply a test meter while you press the button. It is controlled by a small voltage applied to the input when the button is pressed. Sometimes the input has an opto-isolator (Google that as well) where the input signal is coupled in with a beam of light generated by an LED which jumps through the air to a photodiode receiver, so it’s nearly magic!

1 Like

Hoping not to muddy the issue, but I have a Ring Video 2, same app with no option when I first installed in summer/fall it rang internal bell. When it got colder, it stopped and never rang again. Still looking for a solution. Thanks New Neighbor II, for all you effort!

This worked like a “chime”. Thank you.

Fixed! I have the doorbell 2. It was working my interior doorbell for a long time then all of suddent stopped. I have no options in my app to enable mechanical doorbell - just like many others have mentioned. I called support and spent of lot time troubleshooting with them but never got a resolution. I read another person’s note on here about the part connecting being too short. I also read online that if your app is telling the doorbell is getting its charge from the battery it’s not connecting to the wiring. Long story short, I took off the back of the ring door bell and added 6-8 layers of foil (I folded the foil over) and now the indoor chime is working again! I’ve attached a picture. There are two gold nodes. I covered both with their own foil. In this picture I left one gold node exposed so you can see what it looks like.

i fixed it with foil and loaded a pic: https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Wired-Ring-Doorbell-not-Triggering-Original-Chime/m-p/70593/highlight/true#M23155

i fixed it with foil. pic here: https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Wired-Ring-Doorbell-not-Triggering-Original-Chime/m-p/70593/highlight/true#M23155

fixed it with foil. pic here: https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Wired-Ring-Doorbell-not-Triggering-Original-Chime/m-p/70593/highlight/true#M23155

i fixed it with foil. pic here: https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Wired-Ring-Doorbell-not-Triggering-Original-Chime/m-p/70593/highlight/true#M23155

OK, I read through lots of the answers as I couldn’t get my wired doorbell working with my new Ring Doorbell 2nd Gen. It doesn’t connect this automatically, but I’ve done it now with some help from other answers. From the Ring App Dashboard, click on the 3 dots at the top right of your doorbell camera; then click on settings at top right; scroll and click on Device Settings; click In-home Chime Settings; then click Automatic Chime Detection; click Yes, I have an In-home Chime; click Ring my In-home Chime; then try it out by pushing the bell-push; if it works, then click My chime rang normally. Bingo, you’ve done it!

1 Like

I believe I have a 1st Gen Ring. None of these app options are available.
So, no solution yet.
Thanks anyway!

@aurorawatcher re: In the App, select the bell push in ‘Devices’ and go to ‘Device Settings > General Settings’. In ‘Internal Doorbell Settings’ set ‘Doorbell Chime Type’ to ‘mechanical’.

OMG! Thank you! This is the simplest solution, why the heck is this not in the ring manual or known by Customer Service? I have RVD3 and this was the fix!

GOT IT!!! FINALLY! I have the newest version RING-3 but this worked as well for my freind that has RING-2!! STEP BY STEP:

open RING APP

open MENU

open DEVICES

open FRONT DOOR (or your device name for door bell)

open DEVICE SETTINGS

open In-home CHIME SETTINGS

open AUTOMATIC CHIME DETECTION follow short prompts to “in-home chime”, then choose to have your existing bell work when the button is pushed…DONE!!!

I think RING makes the process a bit difficult so most folks are inclined to purchase their chime packages. The above definately works, it just needs a village to pass this information on. I was 2 minutes away from sending the product back, but it works just fine now!!!

Hi neighbors! Can you please provide the following:

• Device name
    • You can find the name of your device on the back. Some options include; Video Doorbell, Video Doorbell 2nd Generation, Video Doorbell 2, etc.
  • Is your Chime set to Mechanical or Digital
  • Is your device showing hardwired

_ For now, I am going to accept this post as the solution _ to hopefully be able to hear back from some of you guys on this thread and let the team know specifics. Thank you!

I have Ring Video Door Bell 2 (not second gen). There is no option to set to mechanical or Digital. The battery charges which indicates it is getting power from my existing transformer. I have two of the exact same models at different locations and they both operate in the same manner, will not activate the existing mechanical chime.

2 Likes

I am having the same issues with the Ring 2. My home chime just stopped working with Ring. The home works when I connect the bell wires together. (So it is not the bell).

Any suggestions how to fix this problem

Here are my comments interlaced with your instruction

_ GOT IT!!! FINALLY! I have the newest version RING-3 but this worked as well for my freind that has RING-2!! STEP BY STEP: _

open RING APP

Did this. - works

open MENU

Did this. - works

open DEVICES

Did this. - works

open FRONT DOOR (or your device name for door bell)

Did this. - works

open DEVICE SETTINGS

Did this. - works

open In-home CHIME SETTINGS

Did not work

I det the following submenus

Video Settings

Snapshot Capture

Alert Settings

Privacy Settings

General Settings

Partners

none of these submenus led to

AUTOMATIC CHIME DETECTION

open AUTOMATIC CHIME DETECTION follow short prompts to “in-home chime”, then choose to have your existing bell work when the button is pushed…DONE!!!

I think RING makes the process a bit difficult so most folks are inclined to purchase their chime packages. The above definately works, it just needs a village to pass this information on. I was 2 minutes away from sending the product back, but it works just fine now!!!

1 Like

Works now thanks to reading this… Thank you for asking the question.

Keith