Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Re: Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

Oh and @Dkammerz , since the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSJ5nO4b48

is an older video, ignore the install part about the diode.  That diode is only used on the older discontinued model of the "Ring Video Doorbell 2", and not on subsequent newer models, like the "Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation/2020 Release" or "Ring Video Doorbell 3" and etc., that now have the chime selection settings.  I had just provided the link for the purposes of hearing the differences in the sounds that a Mechanical or Digital house chime makes at the 2:10-minute mark.  My intent was not to confuse anyone about a diode .  .  .  sorry if I added any confusion.   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I just want to thank aurorawatcher for his solution and to confirm that it works on a "Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus" October 2020.

These are the settings to change:
 In the App, select the bell push in 'Devices' and go to 'Device Settings > General Settings'. In 'Internal Doorbell Settings' set 'Doorbell Chime Type' to 'mechanical'. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

My doorbell chime worked fine hardwired but wouldn’t connect to ring. Then I put the battery in and my ring works, but the doorbell does not chime... even though it is still hard wired 🤷‍♀️
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I had a 1st version ring doorbell, and recently upgraded to a newer model, I've been ringing my hands trying to figure out, why it didn't ring my original house chime, like the original ring. Thank you for posting this, now my house chime rings again. Seems like this information should be included after you set up your new device, and not have to hunt down the information you need
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Going into the device settings worked for me as well. Apparently it is not a direct physical connection between the ring button and the leads to the original doorbell. I can't believe Ring doesn't point this out in their quick start guide. I was ready to take the dorrbell back to Best Buy and try something else.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

I am having a hard time understanding what you mean by “it it is not a direct physical connection”. Are you implying that the connection magically jumps through the air? Changing the device settings has been posted many times. However it does not apply to ring video doorbell 2 As there is not an option in the device settings to change.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yes, that's pretty much it! The connection is a solid state relay. This means that the connection is made by a solid state device such as a triac (Google it). This does not show a measurable short circuit on its output terminals if you apply a test meter while you press the button. It is controlled by a small voltage applied to the input when the button is pressed. Sometimes the input has an opto-isolator (Google that as well) where the input signal is coupled in with a beam of light generated by an LED which jumps through the air to a photodiode receiver, so it's nearly magic!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hoping not to muddy the issue, but I have a Ring Video 2, same app with no option when I first installed in summer/fall it rang internal bell. When it got colder, it stopped and never rang again. Still looking for a solution. Thanks New Neighbor II, for all you effort!
Highlighted
New Neighbor

This worked like a “chime”. Thank you.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Fixed! I have the doorbell 2. It was working my interior doorbell for a long time then all of suddent stopped. I have no options in my app to enable mechanical doorbell - just like many others have mentioned. I called support and spent of lot time troubleshooting with them but never got a resolution. I read another person's note on here about the part connecting being too short. I also read online that if your app is telling the doorbell is getting its charge from the battery it's not connecting to the wiring. Long story short, I took off the back of the ring door bell and added 6-8 layers of foil (I folded the foil over) and now the indoor chime is working again! I've attached a picture. There are two gold nodes. I covered both with their own foil. In this picture I left one gold node exposed so you can see what it looks like.