Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

@JohnofDublin wrote:

@Hopster wrote:

Hi, i am having similar issues. I have found the make of my Chime which is…

https://www.bltdirect.com/eterna-ip20-white-door-chime-with-built-in-transformer?adcid=pla&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvSEQR1urrHpjoeKqESpjkTSaFubLJHtxtt-DjhP5UFgnDIELmo01xYaAiSeEALw_wcB

I have got the power working, and when my new doorbell is pressed i get a loud rattling sound from what i presume is the transistor. I do not need the original chime as i have it set up to work from Alexa but need the power on to charge ring so need to fix the issue.

Would wecome any ideas as to what i could do? I am sure it is an easy fix and it has been answered before but cannot find my old doorbell on the ring list or in anyones queries. Image attached of the unit.

Many thanks

Hi @Hopster.

From looking at your photo and link it does look like you have a mechanical chime doorbell I suspect.

On your photo that you attached it looks like it shows output as 6 Volt AC and 6 VA. I’m not sure which Ring Video Doorbell you have but my Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation requires voltage and power in range 8-24 Volts AC and 40 VA. I’m sure other Ring Doorbells require similar power. So on the face of it - it would sadly seem that your house bell unit does not offer near enough output voltage and power to power the Ring unit. Perhaps replace with a chime unit that offers output in right range above or else put up with charging the Ring unit every now and then.

Dang @JohnofDublin . . . you have impressive Superman eyes! A great catch zooming in on the tiny print on that house chime, and seeing that indeed the voltage is too low! You are correct, that of all the Ring Video Doorbell models, the lowest acceptable voltage in 8 volts AC, so his chime voltage is too low and therefore explains why his house chime only rattles and doesn’t go “Ding Dong.” A big “Thumbs Up” Kudo for you! :slight_smile:

So if @Hopster wants his house chime to work using his Ring Video Doorbell, he would need a compatible house chime and with a transformer rated to 8 minimum to 24 maximum VAC (40VA max wattage), unless he owns a “Ring Video Doorbell Pro” model which would need even higher requirement of 16 minimum to 24 maximum VAC with 30VA (40VA max wattage). Currently only two Ring Doorbell models do not ‘trickle-recharge’ and function with a transformer, the “Ring Video Doorbell Elite” (Power over Ethernet cable) and the “Ring Peephole Cam” (Quick Release Battery Pack only).

And @william30w just to clarify, because it is a very common confusion, as @JohnofDublin

can attest to, the “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Generation / 2020 Release” does have the “None”, “Mechanical”, and “Digital” chime settings . . . but the other completely different, older model “Ring Video Doorbell 2” does Not have those settings. They are two very different models. So when you wrote, “Ring Doorbell 2 does work with mechanical chime”, that is correct. But when you wrote, “Ring doorbell 2 does have option in app to pick the type of existing chime you have”, you actually were referring to the “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen”, because the “Ring Video Doorbell 2” does not have those options/settings. This older “Ring Video Doorbell 2” is no longer sold online by Ring, but many of us still own this different model and it can be still found for sale in many 3rd party stores. The newer “Ring Video Doorbell 3” and “Ring Video Doorbell 3 Plus” are the improved version replacements for the older “Ring Video Doorbell 2.”

My earlier post in this thread, ‎10-18-2020 09:11 PM, shows some of the physical differences between these two different models (“Ring Video Doorbell 2” and the “Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen”) even though their model names both include “2” (not including the actual performance/settings differences that exist also).

Just too many dang “2” twos too that make this a very common confusion point. LOL :wink:

1 Like