Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

@JohnofDublin wrote:

@Boone wrote:

@JohnofDublin wrote:

Hi @Boone. So to answer your first question I’m in Europe in Ireland. I bought the unit in a local Electronics store. On your second question there is a circular battery visible that seems to be a lithium silver type of about 1 inch diameter and it looks to be removable, although I didn’t study it too closely. Your other comment that the unit defaults the chime bell as None does make sense.

Hi @JohnofDublin ,

Thanks for replying. I really do appreciate that. :slight_smile:

Ah, so you are in Europe in Ireland. That’s cool!

When you said the battery does look removable, I got confused because the “Quick Release Battery Pack” is not circular. It’s kind of like two circular batteries combined. The battery pack has a tab that allows it to be released (generally silver-colored metal, but can be black plastic too). So I’m still not sure which model of Video Doorbell you have. I’ve attached a picture of the Quick Release Battery, and of the Video Doorbell 2nd Generation (back-view).

I apologize for being so inquisitive and bothering you for you time, but my curiosity has got the better of me. LOL

What are the exact words on the box that your Doorbell came in?

Other features that each model have, that might clear this up, are:

Ring Video Doorbell 2:

• A single Security screw center at the bottom of the doorbell that releases the bottom only the face-plate.
  • The removable face-plate only covers the lower half of the doorbell.
  • The Quick Release Battery Pack can be recharged via USB port on the battery itself.
  • The Reset button is a square Black button on the front side, under the face-plate, upper-right-corner.
  • Here is a link to a short youtube video of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 recharging and battery view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3DuP3TnYA

Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen / 2020 Release):

• Has 2 Security screws at the bottom of the doorbell that releases the entire doorbell from the mounting bracket.
  • The doorbell can be recharged via USB port on the backside of the doorbell.
  • The Reset button is a round Orange button on the back-side of the doorbell.
  • Here is a link to a short youtube video of the Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen recharging of the internal non-removable battery: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTyAVtpw7Cw

Again, I do apologize for being so curious and hope you don’t mind. Currently I’m thinking and betting that you have the non-removable model version Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Generation / 2020 Release), and not the Ring Video Doorbell 2 . . . that is if I was a betting man, which I am. LOL Here at home we actually do have a bet going on who is correct. :wink:

Hi @Boone,

Ha ha, you won your bet! Yes I do have Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen / 2020 Release). It says exactly that on the box it came in. I’m only realising now from your explanation that it is different to Ring Video Doorbell 2.

everything you said is correct including the two underneath locking screws.

Yayyyyyyyyyyy @JohnofDublin !

I won the bet! Now I get breakfast in bed for a week! LOL :slight_smile:

Cool cool. Like I said before, it is very easy and many do get the two different models names mixed up. All those “twos” really makes it a common mistake. So you really have the Ring Video Doorbell 2nd Gen (2020 Release). And you do not have the Ring Video Doorbell 2 (older model). My next-door neighbor has the same doorbell that you now own, and she loves it.

That totally explains how you have the “In-home Chime Settings” with your 2nd Gen/2020 Release model. The Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not have those settings. And it means that basically the export version of this Ring Doorbell is about the same as the US version, if not the exactly same.

Now I just have to decide what I want for breakfast tomorrow and I’m looking forward to it!

Thanks again John for your patience and taking the time to settle that bet! Take care! :slight_smile:

1 Like