Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

Thank you! No clue why they don’t publish that in the installation instructions! Would have saved us a lot of sweat and tears! We were about to take it off and box it up until I read your post! Shame on ring for not putting that out there for its customers! Thank you!!!

2 Likes

I just installed a Ring Video Doorbell Gen 2–not sure if that is the same as the Ring 2 or not. All works well except that the existing digital chime in my house does not trigger on the first push of the Ring doorbell button. it does on the 2nd push…every time. I really don’t think I want to start pulling this doorbell apart to see how it works and what is going on…obviously if the thing triggers on the 2nd push then it technically works, but something is not working on the first push of the button. Any ideas? Setting are set up properly for the digital chime, power is at 19.2VAC at the doorbell, all other notifications work fine. Help!

Okiecokes: I am not sure what Gen 2 is but I believe it is not the same as Video Door Bell - although it also doesn’t activate the internal bell. Pushing the button twice to get the internal bell to ring still renders it useless in my opinion. You’d have to put a sign up asking everyone to push twice ?. Just out of curiosity I did try pushing mine twice - does not work. If you look at all the posts about this topic, and the fact that no one from Ring has chimed in with a fix, It tells me they know its and issue and don’t plan to do anything about it.

Thank you, I had same issue. ring 2 under settings, device asked if i had an indoor chime I selected this and it asked to test bell and it work. thanks for your post

1 Like

Thanks for posting this solution. I can confirm that it works on my Ring Video Doorbell 2 as well. After removing the backing plate, I could see one of the posts in the circuit board was shorter than the other. I wrapped the corresponding post in the back cover with a tiny bit of aluminium foil and voila! I have a working doorbell again!

1 Like

Opus: Are you sure you have Ring Video Door Bell 2 and if so, what vintage is it? If you read all the posts that specifically address the Ring Video Door Bell 2, no one has been able to get it to work with internal bell. And many, including myself, have addressed the post contact situation - which is not the problem. I have two units, both are 2019 vintage. One can easily check in internal connections with an ohm meter and when the bell button is depressed, there is not continutity - thus the interanal beel cannot be activated. Thanks

SOLVED- I just struggled with this for two days. If you have a digital chime, meaning your existing doorbell chime from your old doorbell has a speaker that plays a sound or song, the answer is the diode that came with your ring video doorbell 2. As many have said, nothing happens to close the circuit on the back when you push the button. That’s where the diode comes in. I just struggled with this for over two days and once I connected the diode, it worked flawlessly.

Given that no one has reported getting continuity across the terminals on a Ring Video Door Bell 2 when the button is depressed, I am confused with your post. Is this a Ring Video Door Bell 2? What vintage? All a diode does is allow for current to flow in one direction only - which would have no impact on a situation where activating the button does not connect the terminals on the device - which is the basic problem with Ring Video Door Bell 2.

Hi,

You are looking at the Pro model evidently but the app appears to be the same one. I’m not seeing the devices bell push but I am new and probably am missing it. I have the same problem. My unit says it has full power and the camera functions work fine but my 50 year old doorbell does not… Any guidance would be helpful.

It is a Gen 2 video doorbell…does not require a diode, per all the instructions on the Ring website for installation. I’m not sure what distinguishes it from an original.

1 Like

Eight point: If you have the Ring Video Door Bell 2 (not pro) it will not activate your old mechanical chime, or any other internal bell. There is no setting in the app to fix that. It is a defect in design and Ring refused to address it. A simple test is to touch the two wires coming to your button together - if you internal chime rings - all good there and positive evidence that the Ring button is not making the connection between the terminals on the back. Camera operation through your internet connection, nothing to do with wiring. There are a number of different Ring systems, to be clear I am referring only to “Ring Video Door Bell 2” - not to be confused with any other models that may work just fine. Also, mine are 2019 vintage and ring may have fixed this problem in more current models.

I am not familiar with Gen 2 but if it does not work, then it must be the same as the ones I have, Ring Video Door Bell 2.

All a diode does is to limit the current flow to one direction, not going to fix your problem.

Thank you so much!!! This worked for the Ring Doorbell 3!! No need to buy any extra parts. Just go to the app in device settings and set your chime.

1 Like

Thanks for posting that information so others with the _ Ring 3 _ will know that it works. Those of us that have the _ Ring Video Door Bell 2 _ are stuck with a device that will not work as advertised.

HI,

My hardwired Ring doorbell use to ring our house’s orginal doorbell. Lately no matter what I’ve tried, I can not get the Ring doorbell to chime the existing doorbell in our house. If our phones are on silent we miss our doorbell being rung. I have tried to touch the two wires together and that makes the existing doorbel ring…however when I hardwire them back to the Ring doorbell it no longer rings the house’s doorbell and it no longer says hardwired in the device health. Any help to solve this problem would be great! Thanks!

I found the way to get the indoor chime to work for my Ring Video Doorbell 2: In the app, select Menu (upper left), Devices, Front Door (or waht ever you called yours), Device Settings, In Home Chime Settings, Advanced Settings, Chime Type, Mechanical, Ring In-Home Chime On.

1 Like

The app for ring video doorbell 2 does not have that option in the menu. You obviously have a different model, perhaps the ring video doorbell 2 pro.

Did you ever get a reply to this issue. I have the same problem. At one time it worked but I reconnected it in mounting change and now it doesn’t work.

My issue is with Ring Video Door Bell 2 - specifically and exactly that model. Due to a design flaw, it will never work to ring and existing mechanical chime. If your’s worked at on time, then you must not have this model. Changing the mount should not have affected it unless you have a wire lose or broke off.

Hard to belive that your existing chime is “off” by default. It worked before installing my Ring Doorbell 3, but would not after installation. I had to dig through the setup and found the section in setup to choose turing on my existing chime. Works now. Lots of time wasted checking wires, existing hallway chime, Ring Web site.