Wired Ring Doorbell not Triggering Original Chime

Hope this helps those searching for answers as I was. I realized that Ring’s mounting plate design made it very hard to make a good connection between the 12-24VAC source and the Ring unit. The PCB pads and pins were making, but there was no voltage from the terminal screws and pads. The problem is in the terminal screws. If the thin gauge 12-24VAC leads are too short or wrapped too tightly around the screw, they will not make good contact with the PCB surface. There’s some kind of small insulating ring around the threaded base that prevents the tightly wound lead from contacting the conductive surface of the PCB. Proper wrapping of leads around a terminal post usually means tightly winding in a clockwise direction, but with the terminal threads not touching the conductive PCB surface, in this case, you need to wrap the wires loosely or simply run them across the underside of the screw to ensure contact. Once I did that, the light is back on, the existing chime is working, and the unit no longer shows “battery” in Device Health. Hope this helps!

1 Like