Wifi connection

I have two new Ring Video Doorbells, and neither will connect to my WiFi. After I press the orange button, the light on the front starts spinning, the app says it is talking to the doorbell, and the network changes to the Ring wifi. But the light just keeps spinning, and never shows the actual wifi network that I want to connect to.

I have tried two different phones, two Ring doorbells, put the phone and doorbell right next to the router, restarted the router, searched all over Google including Ring Help and YouTube, spent a couple of hours trying to get it to connect.

Very frustrating, especially as the solution is probably very simple!

Is there any way to set the wifi network manually?

Hey @Simmins. Do you ever get to the point in selecting your home wifi network/putting in the password, or does it stuck in connecting to the Ring AP? If you’re unable to connect to the Ring AP, do you have any other bluetooth devices connected to the phone you’re trying to set it up on? If you have a watch, headphones, etc connected, you will need to completely disconnect those before setting up the Ring device. I recommend to reset both Ring devices by pressing and holding the setup button for 30 seconds, and then try on a tablet with no bluetooth devices connected, or your phone again with no bluetooth devices connected, but bluetooth enabled.

If the setup fails after you’ve put in your wifi password/select your home network, you may need to adjust the ports and protocols on your router’s settings. I would recommend doing these too if the Ring AP connection is failing too. You can learn more about what to adjust in our Ring Help Center Article here. Once these have been adjusted, try another setup. If it continues to fail, please let me know what error message you run into as the roadblock, and attached a screenshot of this error in a reply! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your help! That worked straight away.

How many others have had a similar experience?

If more than a few, it would be good if this could be included in the setup instructions, or in the trouble-shooting guide. I must have spent at least 2 hours trying without success.

2 Likes

@Simmins Totally agree with you! I helped out over the phone with support and realized that bluetooth connected devices could affect the setup for some neighbors from time to time. Not super common, but it happens! I will make sure to pass on this feedback to the appropriate teams for you so we can add in this verbiage to help neighbors in the future. So glad it worked out for you! :smiley_cat:

Have a question, my WiFi has changed… but I need to reconnect my ring device to the network. Cannot remove the ting device from wall to sync up device. Are the screws under the ring device “Allen screws or are they Phillips Screw heads” need some help please!!! TIA

The easiest way to fix this is to change your new wifi to match your old. Change the new router to make your old SSID and password. Everything should then connect as normal.
As for the screw it’s a special one. There should have been a orange handle with a 2 ended bit. One side is philip and the other is Torx bit.
Amazon sells them and so does Ring if you lost yours. HTH

1 Like