Why is Ring People Only mode worse on Pro?

Why wouldn’t a hardwired device still record all motion, but only notify you when there is a person? This makes no sense… I’d like everything recorded, but only to be notified when people are there…

This comes from:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032947972-Refining-Your-Alert-Notifications-with-People-Only-Mode

Battery Powered Devices

If you turn on People Only Mode your device will record all events, but usually only send you a notification when a human-being is detected

Hardwired Devices

If you toggle the People Only Mode on, your device will only record and alert you to human being related events

This seems dumb.

Derek

Hey @DerekNolan. The People Only Mode was created and offered to our neighbors as a way for neighbors who felt they were getting too many false motions to have them limited, and only wanted motion notifications or recordings for people. If you’re looking to have all motions recorded, I recommend disabling this feature on your Ring Pro! Thank you for your feedback though, I will make sure to pass that onto the appropriate teams for you. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply Chelsea. I haven’t even turned this feature on because of the description. I love the idea of removing false motion notifications, so I only want to be notified of people motion, but have all motion recorded.

What if a bear came to my front door riding a unicycle and eating a hamburger? Not a person, so not recorded, but I would absolutely love to have that recorded.

Does this make sense? Thanks…

Derek

@DerekNolan Totally understand! The way that the camera will sense if there is a person or not in People Only Mode isn’t looking for facing or something of this sort, but more objects that are the size of a human. Therefore, the camera seeing something like a tree branch moving may not set off the actual alert to your phone and would cancel the recording, but something large like a person or that bear on the unicycle, it should pick up. And if you do get that, I NEED to see it! :joy_cat: Hope this helps clear it up, and if you enable it and give it a try, would love to hear your feedback on how it is for you!