White noise when in night vision mode

I fitted my device a week ago and have just come across this thread. I don’t get many night visitors and thus have not listened to the night audio much before but my doorbell does exhibit similar noises. I’ve just carried out some audio tests and while the noise sounds high with no outside activity, if speech sound is detected the speech is audible and clear, with the unusual noise much reduced, however, it does comes back once the speech is stopped. This is a typical example of an AGC function in an audio system, fast attack to reduce the gain, thus preventing audio distortion, followed by a slow increase in the system gain once no sound is detected. The ambient sound pressure leveIs at night are always a lot less than daytime levels (unless you’re unfortunate enough to live by a busy road), so I suspect the maximum gain setting for the AGC algorithm is set too high, so it detects noises emanating from within the device itself when the ambient night-time noise level is very low. Why some doorbells are more affected than others, when moving to night mode, may well be a batch production issue but reducing the maximum audio gain should remove the annoying night-time noise: something a firmware upgrade should resolve. I hope this gives what, I believe, may be a reasonable explanation of the issue and thus why a firmware upgrade should resolve the problem.

1 Like