White noise when in night vision mode

How many video examples do you need to see/hear Marley? Just getting some acknowledgement of what appears to be a widespread issue would go a long way towards keeping Ring customers…not sure if you are with Ring or if just a moderator, but it is abundantly obvious that we are dealing with a hardware and/or software issue. Ring wants us to jump through all these troubleshooting hoops (which we are doing) but there are no solutions forthcoming or any suggestion that Ring is working on a fix. So, expect some bad reviews and more returned devices…When you have a product with known problems, it’s always best to get out ahead of it…Ring has done too little, too late for me…

2 Likes

I have the exact same issue. Verbatim noise. Daytime fine, night time not.

Same issue. We install the Ring doorbell 2 about 4 days ago. Perfect during the day and screeches in night vision. We spent 4 hours yesterday trouble shooting… resetting to factory, removing battery, etc etc. Opened a chat with Ring and they took at least 3-4 minutes for each response, my cell phone ended up dying. They pretend like they have no idea what we’re talking about even though this is a known and widespread issue. What is your solution, RING???

I’ve just taken a call from a Ring customer service rep who told me that the Product Team have identified an issue with a number of Ring 2 devices causing the noise in nightvision mode. He also said a fix would be likely released via firmware update in February.

1 Like

Man I sure hope you are right and they have a solution for us.

I don’t know if a firmware will fix this issue only because the noise can be heard from the unit if you put it to your ear. But maybe and hopefully they can.

I got my first replacement unit in and the first thing I noticed is it was a refurbished unit. So before I even tested it, I wasn’t having high expectations that it was going to work and I wasn’t all that happy that they sent me a refurbished unit to replace the brand new one that I had just bought. But I was willing to give that a pass if the refurbished replacement unit worked.

Well it didn’t work. I called customer support again and even though I was frustrated, I try not to take it out on the support reps, in any industry, but I do have to say, that it makes a big difference when you talk to a support rep that is extremely nice, that listens to you and wants to help find a resolution as quickly as possible. This makes it much easier not to be as aggravated as I would be otherwise.

I hope I was able to put some spotlight on this forum and this specific issue too with his help. He pulled up this forum and added the link to the notes on my account, which is something the last rep I spoke with didn’t do. He told me that he is going to create a ticket interally and send this issue with a link to this forum to the team who handles this stuff.

Hopefully the 3rd unit, that is now on it’s way, will be the one. And a shout out to the representative, Ivan, that I spoke with who was awesome.

The other thing I would suggest is to anyone who is having this problem but haven’t posted an example on this forum, this may be the time to do so. If they do take a deeper look into this issue and this forum i would think the more proof of the same exact noise from many differnt people might help along with some of the other things people suggested.

After speaking with Michelle from Ring, they are definite aware of the problem and it has supposedly been sent to their developers. They’ve sent a new unit to me that they’ve said has been tested. I will keep everyone posted.

This is my night vision. Really wonderful :confounded: You can tell I’m bald and wear glasses

I fitted my device a week ago and have just come across this thread. I don’t get many night visitors and thus have not listened to the night audio much before but my doorbell does exhibit similar noises. I’ve just carried out some audio tests and while the noise sounds high with no outside activity, if speech sound is detected the speech is audible and clear, with the unusual noise much reduced, however, it does comes back once the speech is stopped. This is a typical example of an AGC function in an audio system, fast attack to reduce the gain, thus preventing audio distortion, followed by a slow increase in the system gain once no sound is detected. The ambient sound pressure leveIs at night are always a lot less than daytime levels (unless you’re unfortunate enough to live by a busy road), so I suspect the maximum gain setting for the AGC algorithm is set too high, so it detects noises emanating from within the device itself when the ambient night-time noise level is very low. Why some doorbells are more affected than others, when moving to night mode, may well be a batch production issue but reducing the maximum audio gain should remove the annoying night-time noise: something a firmware upgrade should resolve. I hope this gives what, I believe, may be a reasonable explanation of the issue and thus why a firmware upgrade should resolve the problem.

1 Like

This was the noise from the replacement refurbished unit:
https://ring.com/share/6780788319929407843
This was tested inside before I even tried to put outside. I think the inside part was obvious after viewing but anyways my orginal one sounded a little better then this one. Same noise though.

When speaking the audio gain does go down and goes up when quiet but but the white noise or the noise made from the actual unit can still be heard very clearly and annoyingly.

I have friends and family with the same doorbell 2 and they dont have any hint of this noise and cant hear anything when putting ear up to unit.

Hopefully a fix either way will be available.

I have the same issue. It is more of a screeching white noise/feedback terrible sound. Completely unacceptable for the device to make/record/stream this audio.
My previous first generation ring doorbell did not have this issue but I wanted the upgraded Ring due to the poor video quality at night. Never thought I would lose audio quality just to get better video. I think my device must be faulty as there is no way this would be accepted by QC.

Tried to upload 2 clips but seems .mp4 files are not able to be attached? How can I share the audio?

PLEASE HELP ME RESOLVE IF YOU CAN.

Any word on the update that is supposed to resolve this issue? I read February in an earlier post, would love to see a more specific date.

Not that I am aware of.

No worries @Chrlyz ! if you are unable to attach the file, you can generate a shared video URL by choosing to “share video” in the app. If you copy and paste that URL here, we will be able to view the video example. Check out this Community post for a quick guide on obtaining and sharing this link Smiley Happy
This is how I was able to share mine.

Update:

Well third time is the charm. After the first unit I bought, I called support got a replacement but the replacement was a refurbished unit. That one had the same issue. Called again, got a really good support rep, he got me out a new one asap. And this one works.

I am sure there are many different “noise” complaints that Ring gets and there are many factors that come into play for the different noises but the ones that I and others provided examples of on this forum are a specific issue with the unit. From my opinion, there is no firmware fix or trouble shooting fix that will resolve the issue.

The easiest way to know if you are having this specific issue is to bring it inside to eliminate any outside noise. Get as close to your router as possible to eliminate any wifi connectivity issues and make it dark enough for the unit to kick into night vision mode. While its recording put the unit up to your ear. You should be able to hear the noise coming from the unit. It’s not as loud as you would think it would be but you can clearly hear it.

Here is what it should sound like (new unit):

https://ring.com/share/6787129766127777871

This is what noise you shouldn’t get (first unit):

https://ring.com/share/6773480329987822150

Oh man. That’s good in a way I suppose, I really hoped that I wasn’t going to have to go through the hassle of uninstalling it, talking to customer service, shipping it back and waiting on a replacement.

I just installed the Ring Video Doorbell 2 weeks ago and also have this white noise mentioned in blogs. Tried all the trouble shooting tips and still have the white noise. This is definetely either hardware or software for sure. It’s a joke to put one through all this for a $200 product. Since I purchased the unit during the Christmas holidays it is beyond the return date or else I would return for a refund. This is definetely on Ring for sure. hopefully a firmware update or something is in the works.

I finally got a new Doorbell 2 sent to me and it does not have the humming in night mode. I am so glad I did not have to go through multiple returns.

2 Likes

I just recently started hearing it on my Ring doorbell 2 as well. It’s only when the night vision goes on. Daytime playback is fine.

Mine has started doing this today, seems like a common feature has anyone resolved it?