White noise when in night vision mode

I have had three Ring 2 doorbells now. They all have the same issue.

1 Like

We have the same issue, a vibrating noise when it goes to night vision. We just bought it 2 weeks ago. Has this issue been resolved?

1 Like

I just purchased a ring doorbell 2 and also have this exact issue with a high pitched hum in night mode. Completely in usable. I exchanged for a new unit through amazon, same problem. In addition, I get a terrible echo of my voice about 1/2 second after I speak. I thought my issue might be because my porch is literally in a tunnel between two sides of the house, but the linked example shows a wide open area with same noise. Looks like I may be after a refund if there is no resolution

1 Like

Interesting update to this issue. I have a video from this morning where my family is leaving for school. The doorbell activates due to motion in color. The noise is not there. Then, in the middle of the video, one of the kids blocks the light enough that the doorbell switches to night mode mid recording. The noise starts immediately! This means it is absolutly being caused by the unit itself, and this is the second one with the same behavior. It almost sounds like a bad part in the manufacturing run and my replacement was from the same batch. I have had this happen with aftermarket car parts, where one was defective and all the other parts on the shelf at the auto part store had the same defect.

1 Like

I have the same sound in video recordings when the unit switches in to night mode and the IR lights switch on. The sound will start during the day if you block the light and it switches to night mode.

1 Like

I have 2 ring 2 doorbells, same night time noise, I tried resetting them, disconnected the hard wire to run on battery, no change it’s always there, very annoying
Motion detection is to slow to turn on the cameras, I have the settings maxed out, people are on my porch before the camera turns on, disappointing quality overall, rssi is green in the low 50’s on both doorbells and overall performance is the same on both

1 Like

I just installed a Ring 2 two days ago and we have this same issue. Any word on resolution? Seems to be pretty widespread, it’s not difficult to find folks complaining about it.
I am also disappointed with how long it takes the motion detector to respond as the poster above mentioned.

1 Like

No resolution from me unfortunately. The guys at Ring kindly replaced my Doorbell 2 which was then the third one I’ve tried and all did the same thing.

I’ve decided to live with it rather than not have the Ring doorbell but it’s clearly an issue.

I never did get it resolved. Not sure why when researching to buy it I didn’t find this info?

1 Like

I was in touch with Jason with Ring Support. They sent a long list of troubleshooting things to do that have already been done previously by others. Ring does not acknowledge the problem, but it’s pretty obvious that’s it’s a known issue. Ring is junk. The audio quality in particular. It looks great on the TV ads, but does not perform even close to the way they promote it…I will be returning mine to the retailer. Ring Blows!

1 Like

Mine is only 2 days old so I am thinking mine may need to go back too.

1 Like

Here is what I got from Ring Support rather than acknowledge the problem (which is widespread) they send this long list. Better if the identify the known issue and offer up a specific fix…:

My name is Jason and I am part of the Neighbor Outreach Team here at Ring. Thank you for taking the time to email us back, as we know that your time is valuable. I see you have some audio concerns with your Ring Video Doorbell 2. I certainly understand wanting the audio to be as clear as possible.

I am going to be providing some information and troubleshooting steps below. It is essential that you perform all tasks and provide all asked for information so we can come up with the best resolution. If doing one resolves the problem you can stop there. Otherwise, proceed to the next step and provide us with information on how things work with performing the said task.

1. If you have Bluetooth enabled, please turn that off and test the audio again.

2. Reboot your router by unplugging it for a minute and then powering on and testing again.

3. Test using multiple devices to speak to someone outside your home.

4. Power cycle your doorbell by removing the battery and then putting it back in.

5. Bring the device inside near your router and test there.

6. Setup a mobile hotspot on your phone, setup the doorbell to that and test the audio.

7. Factory reset the device. Please perform the following steps:

8. Remove the security screw from the bottom center of the Ring Video Doorbell 2 (RVD 2).

9. Remove the faceplate - Rest your fingers below the camera lens (on the front) and use your thumb to pull the center of the faceplate from the bottom of the device.

10. Press and hold the small black button beneath the camera lens for 30 seconds. The light on the doorbell should flash indicating a reset has been completed.

11. This will erase the current configuration so you will need to perform a new setup of the device through the app.

If the matter continues to remain after attempting all the above, I ask that you please share an event showing the matter occurring. You can find information about sharing videos at the following help link:

1 Like

Here is an example of this issue from my Ring2, not that it seems to be any different than anyone else’s.
https://ring.com/share/6772358123752695906

1 Like

This is rediculous. That long troubleshooting list has absolutly nothing to do with this issue, it is just a cookie cutter flowchart to catch a few common issues and try to blame any other part of the system besides their device. By the time most of us are posting on here we have already done all the basic troubleshooting and have a tier 2 or tier 3 level expertise. Like I posted earlier, I have video of the device switching between day and night mode mid recording and the noise starts immediately. This means it can really only be a couple things, all of them hardware related. My money is on some kind of leakage from the ir led drivers being picked up by the microphone circuitry. I wonder if this is causing the 2 way audio issue too, as both my units have that issue as well. Also, since many of us have this issue, but many devices have been sold without complaint, I would be willing to bet it was a bad batch of a particular part from a suplier making an entire manufacturing run defective and likely any unit on the shelf currently defective, but ring will never admit to that. I am about ready to send back my second device within the return window, I don’t think I will attempt a third.

2 Likes

Same here, same exact problem with my new Doorbell 2. Ring should take responsibility for this. Poor product = loss of customers.

1 Like

I Agree. It is some kind of feedback when the IR LED come on. It is a electronic humm kind of similar to picking up an electrical line humm through a speaker. They could put a electronic filter in the circuit somewhere to block this frequency from feeding back through the microphone. It is even possible that this may be the transformer from the doorbell that it is picking up. Although why it only sounds when the camera switches over to night mode is a little puzzling. It may be the night mode hardware/circuit that is releasing the feedback from the transformers. I do not know, but way to many people have this same issue for it not to be a hardware problem.

They obviously will not acknowledge this because they would have to replace a bunch of hardware to those customers affected by the defective devices. It seems like they want to make the customer jump through hoops and then return the item to replace it. The replacement does not fix the problem because the same defect is in the replacements.

1 Like

I have same problem with my Ring doorbell 2. Mine was replaced by Support and of course the issue is still present.

Question is if this is a software or hardware problem?

Ring Doorbell 2 has been on the market for quite some time already - and this issue seems to be relatively new.

So I’m wondering if this could be due to some bad hardware part that is being used in recent production line?

Admitting this by Ring would cause them to loose a lot of money as they would need to fix production line and replace bad items for free.

For now it’s best to avoid Doorbell 2.

Perhaps Door View Cam doesn’t have this problem.

1 Like

@N8dawg31 wrote:
Here is an example of this issue from my Ring2, not that it seems to be any different than anyone else’s.
https://ring.com/share/6772358123752695906

It’s exactly the same on my Ring2. I got mine unit from European supplier.

I’m wondering if this is hardware or software issue.

If it’s a software issue than I guess it can be fixed but the question is whether Ring is aware of it.

Add another person to the list with the same exact issue. Purchased during the black Friday/Cyber Monday sales. Ring Doorbell 2. Not hard wired. Only using the battery. Wifi good. Brand new installation. I am pretty tech savvy person.
It only happens in night mode, like others. Day time recordings are clear, like others.

Here is a link to a recorded:
https://ring.com/share/6773480329987822150

I think that this is the best thing to do. Keep posting examples of the same issue happening to multiple people. Try to get this specific issue out to those with the same problem so they can post too and when people call support they should refer to this thread or ticket to keep them on topic.

I really hope Ring pays attention to this specific thread. I’m sure there are many others with this problem but they think its normal or they can’t find this thread or they are looking at noise related issues in general.

I’m hoping this can be resolved with a firmware update.

Besides that Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and if you don’t celebrate either Happy Holdays…

1 Like

Yup, that’s the sound I get during night recordings too.

Hello Ring? Are you hearing what we’re hearing at all?