What should the voltgage be at the doorbell connections?

I’m in the US. What is the minimum voltage required by the :

A) Ring Video Doorbell (1st Gen) – 720p HD video,
B) Ring Video Doorbell 2 with HD Video?

Thank you.

-Julian

Hey @jjthomas. The voltage requirement for hardwiring both the Video Doorbell and the Video Doorbell 2 will be the same: 8-24 VAC (40VA max) and 50/60Hz. You can find this information as well as other details about all of our Doorbells in our product comparison here. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

So, if the voltage at the terminal is 17.76 volts, there should be no problems with the doorbell working. Correct?

Thank you.

-Julian

@jjthomas Yes, you are correct. As long as the transformer you have meets the power requirements listed, then you should be good to go for either Doorbell option. :slight_smile:

So if the doorbell is hooked up to an AC transformer, providing 17.76 volts, why does the battery keep running down and need to be recharged. I live in Tacoma, WA.

-Julian

@jjthomas Wiring the Doorbell to an existing doorbell circuit provides a trickle charge each day, but if the Doorbell is receiving a large number of motions, dings, and Live Views, the battery may drain more quickly than it can charge. You can see how many events your Doorbell has each day by checking the Event History log. If it is a larger number, you may want to adjust your motion sensitivity and Motion Frequency to reduce it.

I would also recommend giving our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to take a deeper look at your device and make sure everything is connected properly to facilitate that trickle charge. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what support suggests or if adjusting the sensitivity helps out! :slight_smile:

It seems to be about 3 to 7 per day.

I have called the support, they said to charge the battery. I did.

The doorbell is intermittent, it does not ring all the time.

-Julian

@jjthomas Thanks for letting me know how your call with support went, as well as that additional information regarding the Doorbell not ringing all the time. You can try performing a reset and a new setup of the Doorbell, as well as check to ensure your internal chime kit is compatible. To reset the Doorbell, you’ll want to hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once that’s done, you can walk through a new setup of the Doorbell by following the steps under Set Up a Device.

As for checking if the internal chime kit is compatible, this will depend on the model of Doorbell that you have. You can review our chime kit compatibility list for the Video Doorbell here, and the compatibility list for the Video Doorbell 2 here. If your chime kit is not listed under the compatible section, it can cause problems with the Doorbell ringing and with the trickle charge as well.

I would A ssume that the “Ring Chime, A Wi-Fi-Enabled Speaker for Your Ring Video Doorbell” is compatible with the Ring Video Doorbell 2 with HD Video, Motion Activated Alerts, Easy Installation." That is correct?

@jjthomas Yes, the Ring Chime is compatible with all of our Doorbells. Since you have your Doorbell wired to an existing doorbell circuit, you should also have an internal chime kit. This is the internal doorbell inside your house that rings, which is why I mentioned the compatibility lists. To clarify, is it the Ring Chime or your internal chime kit that is ringing intermittently? I may have some helpful suggestions I can offer, but ultimately you may want to give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to work with you step by step to diagnose each concern you’re having and find a resolution. :slight_smile:

The support line had not been veryhelpful. Part of the difficulty with calling the support number is I have to deal with someone who follows a flow chart and that will not solve my problem. I do not have time to work with someone who, really, has no idea how the product works.

From a technical standpoint, the doorbell is not sending out the alert, intermittently. I have the doorbell plugged into a power supply with the recommended voltage rating as provided by Ring. So why do the batteries keep draining?

Thank you.

-Julian

@jjthomas Our support team will run through different troubleshooting steps in an effort to narrow down the root cause. Since this is a neighbor to neighbor forum and not a direct line to support, I have limited information to work with and I can provide some general solutions, but since this concern involves wiring, I would suggest reaching back out to our support team to dive into this concern deeper since they will be able to take a look at your account and device.