Video doorbell not connecting

Hi,

I have the original video doorbell.

I changed my router recently and it reconnected on after the change.
Today I noticed it is not working, so I’m trying to reconnect it to the wireless network which is a very strong signal.

I press the orange button and the white light spins. About 5-6 seconds later, the white light just stops spinning and a further 10 seconds later the ring app just says it cannot connect.

How do I fix this?
Many thanks.

Hi @Nav. What part of the setup process are you at in the Ring App? Try following the steps under Set Up a Device to walk through a fresh setup of your Doorbell. At one point it should ask you for your wifi network name and password. If it asks to use the same network as a previous setup, I’d recommend selecting no so you can manually enter in your wifi information. If you’re still unable to get it connected, feel free to attach a screenshot of what you’re seeing on your end and I’d be happy to point you in the right direction! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the message…
What seems to be happening is that the new router has a 5ghz network and it is the same name (ssid) as the 2.4ghz one. The first generation doesn’t like 5ghz it seems and even though I was using a device for setup that is connected via the 2.4ghz…it would connect but then pressing the doorbell would not connect you any chime or phone…So the addition of the 5ghz range seems to be messing the WiFi connection to the ring.

I have ordered the new ring 3 plus and will switch out the device and hopefully I don’t have any issues.

I know it would be a different thread, but do I have to do anything special as I am on a plan for the original ring doorbell. Do I need to call ring or anything in order to switch the plan to the updated ring doorbell?

@Nav I’m glad you were able to get to the bottom of what was going on. The Video Doorbell 3 Plus is compatible with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, so you shouldn’t have any issue. As for the Ring Protect plan, do you have the Basic plan that is $3 a month or the Plus plan that is $10 a month? If you have the Basic plan, you’ll want to touch base with our support team after setting up the new Doorbell to make sure your plan is active on it. If you have the Plus plan, then you won’t need to do anything as the Plus plan covers all devices at one location. :slight_smile: