Video Showing Lines All of a Sudden

Hi. I’ve been looking through some of the videos that have been captured at night and lately they all have horizontal lines in them which makes it a bit hard to view. Anyone seen this before or have a fix?

Picture attached as an example.

1 Like

Thank you for the image example @kbrewer25! Those lines should not be appearing at all. This looks like potential video/ wifi interference. Video connection concerns are often related to wifi, mobile device, or Ring app communication variables. The best first thing to check is your wifi signal strength, or RSSI, which can be found in the Device Health section of your Ring app. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

As you mentioned this happening at night, I recommend also checking power. Optimal performance is harder to obtain with low power, or a low battery. Please ensure power/ battery is sufficient for powering the lens and streaming video with night vision. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

This is also happening to me in the past week or so. The battery is 100% charged, the unit is clean, and this occurs only after dark so the issue is not low power or weak WiFi. During the day it works normally. It’s seems like it’s getting worse also. The doorbell itself is unusable after dark because it’s not picking up motion at all.

1 Like

Hi @CMTSTL! If you’ve confirmed power and wifi resources are plenty sufficient for this to work as intended, try performing a reset. To rest your Video Doorbell, please hold the setup button for 20 seconds. Once complete you will likely need to complete a new setup or reconnection steps in the Ring app.

If this concern persists consistently and not due to wifi, and a reset did not resolve the image quality. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I completely reset the doorbell, set up as a new device, and even swapped out the battery with my spare. The problem with the lines has begun again and it appears to be getting gradually worse. It also seems like my motion notifications after dark are decreasing as the lines increase. Any ideas?

1 Like

I was wondering if anyone got a fix for this? Mine started doing this last night, previous nights have been fine.

I did change the battery the day before so that’s should have been fine but it appears is dropped 20% in one day which it doesn’t normally do either.

Hi @Redmanc35! Video image quality is often related to wifi variables. You’ll see my prior responses in this thread include checking on your wifi signal strength as well as resetting the Doorbell. If these steps did not help to resolve your concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know of any solutions you find! :slight_smile:

I have the same problem. Just started tonight. WiFi strength and battery level both ok

@Ring — please stop with the tone deaf replies.

Several people have this issue. Daytime video is fine. Nighttime video is trash. There is clearly a problem on Ring’s end. Signal strength doesn’t just change at night to a point the device is unusable. I understand blaming the customers WiFi is the easy out, but please escalate this to a team that has the capability to investigate and issue an appropriate repair.

6 Likes

I have this problem. It started about one week ago and night vision is seriously poor and useless footage, affects motion detection too. I used your speed checker and have 33mbps download and 8.8mbps upload. No changes to my WiFi setup. We need help resolving this urgently.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’ve been dealing with this for over a week. My quality after the reset and changing the battery has gotten even worse. Look at the pic attached. I can’t see anything. A man was at my door but I can’t hear nor see him. This is unacceptable. It’s not our WiFi signal changing everyday between day and night. Every other thing including other camera work. I called ring but due to COVID, reaching someone after I get home from work has been impossible. Ring needs to fix this.

Sadly having the same issue. battery 100% Wifi signal strength 78% and problem only during the night. Same router in same position. It would be nice if someone in customer support started looking into this and help.

2 Likes

I’m having the same issue in the last week. Only during night vision use. Battery and wifi strength are fine.

mine is a similar problem but with a vertical line and half the picture being clouded over , i am new to this i only bought it a few days ago it was fine in the beginning although the night vision is poor quality in my opinion, i have tried live chat who are a waste of time asking the same question and talking about a camera not the ring doorbell 3

1 Like

I’m still having issues with mine. No surprise. My battery and WiFi are fine, despite what Ring says. However, now that I have installed holiday lights on the bushes directly in front of the doorbell, the added light is apparently preventing Night Vision from kicking in. This has essentially eliminated the white lines that make video unusable. As soon as the lights on the bushes kick off, I stop getting notifications and the white lines are back.

Anyone else care to test this? Ring hasn’t shown any interest in a fix.

Add another person having the same horizontal line problem at night. Power is at 97% and wifi RSSI is -41 which is smoking hot since the WAP is just on the other side of the door.

There are enough of us getting the exact same problem. It must be some sort of software or firmware issue. Can you get this escalated to engineering for review, please?

If this many people are having the issue here, there are at least 25x more people out there having it but not posting, probably more.

Exact same issue as highlighted by others, works fine during the day - white lines at night. Have reset the doors / changed battery and my Wifi is fine.

Ring tech can you please urgently address this issue, and not respond with the same 2 suggestions I’ve seen on other threads!! Weak Wifi & resetting does not work!!

1 Like

Also having the same issue, I have noticed the RING services go down frequently over the last few months. Anybody had any fixes?

Same issue here. Relieved that it’s not just my unit. Now hopeful for a hot fix from Ring.

Same issue. Has gotten worse over time. Only at night, and my other doorbell 2, which actually has less wifi strength, has never had this problem.
This is an example of the night vision I have now.