Video Doorbell stuck in firmware update

My Ring Video Doorbell is stuck in a firmware update loop. It will flash solid white for several minutes, then flash solid blue, then power cycle and will continue this for hours (left it overnight twice). Ive tried removing the device from my account and setting up entirely new. The only way to make it stop is to do a hard reset via the orange button, but then when I try to set it up again…it all starts over.

During the firmware update portion of the setup process, I recommend positioning this Doorbell close to your router and refraining from too much testing before the update finishes. Triggering live view or saving a lot of settings can certainly create more work for your Ring device during the update. There might also be router/ network settings that can block certain connections. Check out our Help Center article about ports and protocols for more information on this.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I have the same issue and nothing helped to fix this…

Any ideas?

1 Like

Hi @DanSuS! If the above recommendations did not help, please try resetting your Doorbell. This can be done by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. Once completed, your Doorbell will need to be setup again, and then should complete the update upon successful connection. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

thank you for the quick reply.

I did reset the doorbell for 20 times if not more :slight_smile: and swichet WiFi networks but nothing helped.

At the bigining it worked for one ring and the video was working but after starting the update phase it stuck at the reboot and update loop from yesterday.

2 Likes

Thank you for the update @DanSuS. It definitely sounds like it might be stuck in an update or reconnection phase. The reset should have resolved this and allowed a new process to begin. As it looks like this was not the case, our support team may need to take a closer look. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You will not believe me but! After 10 factory restarts one after another it’s alive :slight_smile: lol but everything is OK and working great.

Thank you for your help.

2 Likes

Ours is doing the same we have reset it a million times, added boosters incase was WiFi issue nothing is working

1 Like

Our ring doorbell pro is hardwired for power and has worked flawlessly since it was initially connected in April 2020 so we know it can connect properly. On December 22 about an hour after we left the house to be gone for 5 days, it was disconnected. I had friends try while we were away and After returning home I’ve continued to try all the tips I found on various threads. No luck. After holding the reset button for 20 seconds, it gets stuck in this endless loop (mentioned above) - the lights indicate firmware update then awaiting wifi setup. It ultimately ends up in the rotation white light setup phase, talking to us about once every thirty minutes telling us to setup. Nothing works. Any tips before calling in? Thank you.

1 Like

We are currently having the exact same issue. Ours is hardwired for power. Never had a wifi issue. Just after New Year’s the Ring disconnected. We’ve tried everything mentioned here and also rebooting the router. The ring is stuck in firmware updating mode. We have tried resetting, disconnecting power, everything. I’m ready to return this product. Very disappointed.

I’m just a little person here sitting in Mexico.
I would suggest you take the device back into the house and attempt to recharge it.
Earlier this week my device was stuck with a solid blue ring. It came back to life after I recharged it.

I have no idea…

Did anyone ever manage to solve this? It was working fine for 3 months, then it just broke. It seems stuck in firmware update mode.

I’ve factory reset the device many times, I bought a WiFi extender just to try it.

6 days before it broke, I upgraded by Ring subscription… But I can’t see how that would have impacted it.

I’ll try anything.

Hi,
Any news about it?
Exactly the same thing happens to me.
Today I spoke with technical support and they told me that it is most likely a hardware problem…
But I think it is a problem with the firmware update or incompatibility with the 1gen doorbell, before the firmware update it was working correctly.
The worst thing is that there is no way to rollback the firmware to a stable version.
How can we recover the correct functioning of our device?
Best regards

Of course i tried resetting mi Doorbell many times, I have left it next to the router for days…, I have opened the ports on the router that you use, I have tried with different routers / internet providers, I have tried several enrollments from the app.
And all without success, the firmware update remains in loop leaving the device without working.
Please, how can we get our device back?
Best regards

Hi neighbors! If you have tried the steps recommended in this thread already to no avail, contacting our support team is the next best step. A full reset as described, where you hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds, is the main troubleshooting step we have available for a concern where your Doorbell is not completing its firmware update. If it is still not finishing the update after a full reset and attempted setup, then our support team will be the ones to take a deeper look as they can pull up your account and look into it further. Make sure to mention that you have contacted them before about the same concern, and they may need to escalate to advanced support. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I have exactly the same issue. Nothing works. There was an update of some sort on Friday as my app said the decide was having a firmware update and would be unavailable for 15 minutes. Not worked since then and no-one at ring can sort it or rollback the settings. Oh….I was offered a discount off a new device. Errrrr….you broke it you cheeky buggers!!

1 Like

Any follow up to this?
Ring Doorbell Wired - bought it last month. Hooked it up, has it’s own transformer so plenty of power. Set up a breeze even said, you are successfully connected!
Then came the firmware update - over and over again - briefly lets me go live before updating again.
I bought wifi closer to no avail, called support and they are sending me a new unit but could it be that I just have bad luck and got a defective unit?
Gosh I hate this.

Good to see I am not alone with the endless update issue. I had a stick up cam and doorbell enter the endless update loop. Two weeks later, here I am with the same issue happening again.

And the issue apparently is still ongoing, my device has been doing this for awhile. I have been in contact with support and still no resolution.

Support told my hubby (an electrician) a pro kit was missing - which was not part of the installation details provided. Have been waiting for the kit for over 2 weeks. During this time our doorbell shutsdown (no access at all) and yet when my hubby checks there is power to the transformer, and the Ring app shows the device in good health just offline.

Seriously, the hours that have been wasted, the cheap camera system I have on my home is doing SO MUCH BETTER. not sure why I am bothering since Ring apparently has an issue not being addressed. HELP! HELP! before i throw this device in the garbage…

Hi @jmatrasko. If you have a Video Doorbell Pro, support is correct in letting you know that a Pro Power Kit is required for the installation to make sure the Doorbell is receiving the correct amount of power. There may be shipping delays, but you can always reach out to support if you do not receive the Pro Power Kit.