Video Doorbell Pro Dying

Please contribute your voltage and RSSI level at https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Realistic-Doorbell-Pro-Health/m-p/3232/highlight/true#M1006

Add me to the crowd. Had mine since July 2017 and have had occasional power issues. Replaced the transformer with a 24V six months ago and was doing well until yesterday. Checked voltage at transformer, doorbell chime and at door (Ring connections) and all were reading 26V. Connected doorbell, switched on the breaker, and saw the white ring go around twice, then nothing. Push button - nothing. Hard reset - nothing.

Looking at other manufacturers now.

Same event for me as well same time frame.

Had my RIng Pro for two years. Has worked okay - always freezes when I try to talk to people but still functional. On 11/23/19, it simply died. How can so many doorbells die in a such a short time?

Mine died today!

Mine died today was fine for almost a year. Tech on phone recommended replacement. I have the same situation as all of you. One thing different, mine was flashing blue right on the 9 to 10 o’clock position. I powered it down, powered down WiFi, disconnected power, etc., reconnected power, hit reset and all I got was this blue pulse flash right on the area indicated.

Has been installed for approximately 11 months. Got it at Costco and will be returning it tomorrow.

OK, worrying thread here. Installed a Ring Pro today that was purchased as a black friday deal.

It worked fine for about 15 minutes and died while I was installing the Alexa skills.

Still measuring 18V at the leads of the doorbell (used the 12V on the transfo that came with it, the 24V output on the transformer reads 30V so I choose not to connect to that one but use the 12V instead wich results in 18V at the door).

Contacted customer support and they are sending out a replacement, but after reading all this…

BartPe, I measured 18V at the doorbell leads as well; I find all of the “tech” talk about checking for a dead transformer rubbish. Mine is too old to get a replacement (lucky you). Maybe these products should come with a 2 year guarntee - after two years you are guaranteed to need a new one.

@dave88
Ok, but mine only served for 15 minutes :slight_smile:
I expect that bit more when buying a high end product.

Mine worked for 2 years or so as well and suddenly died the same week as many of you (week before Thanksgiving). There is power but the ring doesn’t show any lights or activity at all. It won’t even activate the chime. I replaced it with the old doorbell switch today. :frowning:

Has anyone heard anything? It is obviously out of warranty, so I’m assuming it is another device for the electronics recycling pile.

Many have called customer service and received a new unit, even out if warranty. It’s worth a shot.

1 Like

Mine was replaced since Ring verified that the firmware update bricked it. Nice customer service, New unit working great.

My first doorbell pro worked for 2 months then it stopped working, so I contacted Ring and I got a replacement, got it today and initial setup went well, but I think it is only work for 10 minutes and it went dead again, after reading your post I feel better now, because it looks like it is Ring’s problem, I did not kill it!

Does it try to download/install new firmware immediately after initial setup?

@Commanderadama wrote:
Mine was replaced since Ring verified that the firmware update bricked it. Nice customer service, New unit working great.

Do you know what firmware version you are on now, and which firmware version bricked your Doorbell Pro?

An update from my end. I finally got around to calling Ring Support and they were very helpful. Shipped out a replacement in short order and i installed the new Ring last week. All good since.

Interestingly, my firmware now shows “Up to Date” as opposed to a version… When I installed it, it said (if i remember correctly) something like 1.16.xxxxxx

Anyway, if you haven’t called Ring Support, I highly recommend you do so. It’s relatively painless; only took about 20 mins from start to end. Very good customer service.

Same here. I called the other day and got great support. It turned out that mine failed during an update on Nov 20. However, by completely disconnecting it from the power, waiting and then reconnecting it, the device powered back on, connected and finished the update. It turns out that mine does have a hardware issue that will not permit it to ring my chime. So, they took care of me by sending a Ring chime at no cost! The support person spent nearly 30 min on the phone with me and resolved it. I should mention that mine is just under 3 years old and long out of warranty. Kudos to Ring and their support staff for an excellent job looking after their customers!

Contacted Ring customer support on 12/7. My new 279$ doorbell died after 15 minutes. They would send out a new device but until now I didn’t even get a track & trace code. Contacted customer support 2 times since then and always get the promise the case will be escalated. But still no response.

Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences. Here’s mine:

2yr old Pro doorbell, device went down with the update Dec 1 while I was out of town, making my doorbell and subscription worthless. Disconnected it from power, rebooted and blue lights came on. Now won’t work with my mechanical doorbell. Was offered a 35% discount off a replacement unit. I’ll be looking at the competition.

Meanwhile, 14 days after receiving a 279$ doorbell that stopped working after 15 minutes.

First contact with customer support on 12/7. Promised a new doorbell would be sent out.

3 customer support chat sessions and 1 phone call later my support ticket was still pending and didn’t move (that’s what the support engineer told me during the call).

Each session got the promise my ticket was being ‘escalated’.

Still waiting for a track&trace code and for my ticket to move…

14 days without doorbell already. Hope I don’t get charged an extra 279$ for not returning the defunct bell 30days after my initial call.

This just sucks.