Video Doorbell Pro Dying

Many have called customer service and received a new unit, even out if warranty. It’s worth a shot.

1 Like

Mine was replaced since Ring verified that the firmware update bricked it. Nice customer service, New unit working great.

My first doorbell pro worked for 2 months then it stopped working, so I contacted Ring and I got a replacement, got it today and initial setup went well, but I think it is only work for 10 minutes and it went dead again, after reading your post I feel better now, because it looks like it is Ring’s problem, I did not kill it!

Does it try to download/install new firmware immediately after initial setup?

@Commanderadama wrote:
Mine was replaced since Ring verified that the firmware update bricked it. Nice customer service, New unit working great.

Do you know what firmware version you are on now, and which firmware version bricked your Doorbell Pro?

An update from my end. I finally got around to calling Ring Support and they were very helpful. Shipped out a replacement in short order and i installed the new Ring last week. All good since.

Interestingly, my firmware now shows “Up to Date” as opposed to a version… When I installed it, it said (if i remember correctly) something like 1.16.xxxxxx

Anyway, if you haven’t called Ring Support, I highly recommend you do so. It’s relatively painless; only took about 20 mins from start to end. Very good customer service.

Same here. I called the other day and got great support. It turned out that mine failed during an update on Nov 20. However, by completely disconnecting it from the power, waiting and then reconnecting it, the device powered back on, connected and finished the update. It turns out that mine does have a hardware issue that will not permit it to ring my chime. So, they took care of me by sending a Ring chime at no cost! The support person spent nearly 30 min on the phone with me and resolved it. I should mention that mine is just under 3 years old and long out of warranty. Kudos to Ring and their support staff for an excellent job looking after their customers!

Contacted Ring customer support on 12/7. My new 279$ doorbell died after 15 minutes. They would send out a new device but until now I didn’t even get a track & trace code. Contacted customer support 2 times since then and always get the promise the case will be escalated. But still no response.

Thanks to everyone sharing their experiences. Here’s mine:

2yr old Pro doorbell, device went down with the update Dec 1 while I was out of town, making my doorbell and subscription worthless. Disconnected it from power, rebooted and blue lights came on. Now won’t work with my mechanical doorbell. Was offered a 35% discount off a replacement unit. I’ll be looking at the competition.

Meanwhile, 14 days after receiving a 279$ doorbell that stopped working after 15 minutes.

First contact with customer support on 12/7. Promised a new doorbell would be sent out.

3 customer support chat sessions and 1 phone call later my support ticket was still pending and didn’t move (that’s what the support engineer told me during the call).

Each session got the promise my ticket was being ‘escalated’.

Still waiting for a track&trace code and for my ticket to move…

14 days without doorbell already. Hope I don’t get charged an extra 279$ for not returning the defunct bell 30days after my initial call.

This just sucks.

Mine finally went completely dark about two weeks ago after various features started getting wonky. The first sign of trouble was the two way mic would cause the whole doorbell to crash when you enabled it and tried to speak. Then it ceased to ring chime inside. Now finally it went totally dark, no power or anything. Volts is good at 21.2 even coming off a new transformer.

All very interesting reading all of this.

I’ve had very similar issues. Was working fine then one day doesn’t anymore. I disconnect, reconnect, ring it once, it shuts off and disconnects, almost like it is shorted out.

Now with the “bypass” that ring sent me, I no longer have a chime, and it still dies immediately after you ring the bell. Difference is, now it at least turns itself back on. But it is useless as there is no video to show who was at the door, just a black 40 sec clip.

I’ve replaced transformer, says I’m getting 25 volts according to my meter. So definitely not the issue.

My firmware is 2.1.01005

Not sure what else to do. I’ve read about resistors, but read in reviews you’re not supposed to use them on ring doorbell pros.

I’ll call customer service, see what they can do, but my fear is that its going to all happen again.

I’m at firmware 2.1.01005 just fyi and have had all of these issues and then some.

I’m on Ring Pro firmware v2.1.01005 too, and mine is working fine, so I don’t think it’s the firmware version. Something else may be going on with the doorbell hardware.

If mine dies, I’ll post a follow-up here.

@BartPe wrote:

I believe that it does - at least I believe that mine did. During initial setup it went through all the motions and said it was connected to my WiFi but shortly afterwards, it disconnected. I re-ran the setup and it reconnected and it’s been connected for the last several weeks with no issue. I suspect the initial disconnect was because as soon as it connected to my WiFi it found a firmware update available and ran the update and I caught it doing that which is why it disconnected and put me back through the setup.

So, to get back at my earlier posts, it did take Ring some time to send me a new device. But I received a new one 4 weeks ago and I must say that it works flawless since then. I must say that I’m very happy with the image quality (day and night) and the motion detection works very well. After my complaints about the failing new product they do deserve some credit about how the device is working for me now.
Only issue I notice is with 2 way communication (sound seems to get dropped at moments, aparently a know issue posted here elsewhere). A feature we won’t be using very often.
Also, the firmware version stays at 1.16.00272. I’ve read here somewhere that they have stopped the rollout of the newer firmware due to issues (wise decision), so I guess that’s what happened with my first device after 15 minutes (a firmware update resulting in a bricked device).

@JRR wrote:

@BartPe wrote:

I believe that it does - at least I believe that mine did. During initial setup it went through all the motions and said it was connected to my WiFi but shortly afterwards, it disconnected. I re-ran the setup and it reconnected and it’s been connected for the last several weeks with no issue. I suspect the initial disconnect was because as soon as it connected to my WiFi it found a firmware update available and ran the update and I caught it doing that which is why it disconnected and put me back through the setup.

I believe the firmware updates trigger a restart of the doorbell, which causes them to temporarily disconnect from WiFi and then possibly check for any new update after reboot.
As with firmware updates for any device, an interruption during the upgrade process could brick the device.
Unlike Windows, mobiile apps, web browser, etc software updates, there is no option to delay, defer, or pause firmware updates for the Doorbell Pro by the end user.

FYI, I just received my firmware update a week or so ago. So it’s rolling out now. My pro doesn’t have any issues so far. It may be a few weeks before you’ll see it say it’s up to date.

Consumer reports gives this doorbell a 49 rating. Not good at all.

Sounds about right to me. It’s great when it works but I’ve been having a bad stretch and no longer recommend this device which makes me sad because it’s really got a lot of good to it but it’s been unreliable after the first year.