cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Doorbell Pro Dying

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Video Doorbell Pro Dying

OK, worrying thread here. Installed a Ring Pro today that was purchased as a black friday deal.

It worked fine for about 15 minutes and died while I was installing the Alexa skills.

Still measuring 18V at the leads of the doorbell (used the 12V on the transfo that came with it, the 24V output on the transformer reads 30V so I choose not to connect to that one but use the 12V instead wich results in 18V at the door).

Contacted customer support and they are sending out a replacement, but after reading all this...

Highlighted
New Neighbor

BartPe, I measured 18V at the doorbell leads as well; I find all of the "tech" talk about checking for a dead transformer rubbish. Mine is too old to get a replacement (lucky you). Maybe these products should come with a 2 year guarntee - after two years you are guaranteed to need a new one.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

@dave88 

Ok, but mine only served for 15 minutes Smiley Happy 
I expect that bit more when buying a high end product.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Mine worked for 2 years or so as well and suddenly died the same week as many of you (week before Thanksgiving).  There is power but the ring doesn't show any lights or activity at all.  It won't even activate the chime.  I replaced it with the old doorbell switch today.  :-(

Has anyone heard anything?  It is obviously out of warranty, so I'm assuming it is another device for the electronics recycling pile.

Highlighted
Neighbor II

Many have called customer service and received a new unit, even out if warranty. It's worth a shot.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Mine was replaced since Ring verified that the firmware update bricked it. Nice customer service, New unit working great.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

My first doorbell pro worked for 2 months then it stopped working, so I contacted Ring and I got a replacement, got it today and initial setup went well, but I think it is only work for 10 minutes and it went dead again, after reading your post I feel better now, because it looks like it is Ring’s problem, I did not kill it!
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Does it try to download/install new firmware immediately after initial setup?

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

@Commanderadama wrote:
Mine was replaced since Ring verified that the firmware update bricked it. Nice customer service, New unit working great.

Do you know what firmware version you are on now, and which firmware version bricked your Doorbell Pro?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

An update from my end.  I finally got around to calling Ring Support and they were very helpful.  Shipped out a replacement in short order and i installed the new Ring last week.  All good since.

Interestingly, my firmware now shows "Up to Date" as opposed to a version... When I installed it, it said (if i remember correctly) something like 1.16.xxxxxx

Anyway, if you haven't called Ring Support, I highly recommend you do so.  It's relatively painless; only took about 20 mins from start to end.  Very good customer service.