Video Doorbell 2 rarely works on first push

I’ve got a Video Doorbell 2 (battery powered) that I’ve been struggling with ever since I bought it. First I couldn’t get a decent wifi signal, which was resolved by moving my AP to about 2 meters away from the doorbell. Wifi signal is no issue anymore, RSSI is at 0.

Battery drained rather quickly, so I was forced to by a second one… fair enough, is easier anyway. Notifications didn’t always come through on my phone, which is a pain, so bought a chime.

But… for a few months now I noticed the doorbell hardly ever rings when someone’s at my door. Package delivery, food, doesn’t matter who’s at my door, I don’t get notified. Not on my phone, not the chime, nothing. And when I press the button myself after they’ve left… it *always* works. Also, live view rarely works, just times out. When it does work… the bell will work too. When it doesn’t work… push the button until it comes through, live view works too.

It’s as if my doorbell disconnects from wifi and takes a hell of a long time to reconnect… and when it finally is reconnected, it just doesn’t do what it was supposed to do. But when it is finally connected again, new button presses do come through.

This basically makes my doorbell a very expensive and very useless paperweight. How can I get this to work?

Some extra info, I run a couple of Unifi AC-Lite AP’s.

Hi @DizzyWeb. The only setting that I can think of to be causing sporadic behavior would be Motion Frequency. Motion Frequency creates a dwell time in between recordings to conserve battery life. It adjusting that doesn’t offer improvement, you might want to have our support team take a look into this for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Wait, so you’re saying settings for motion detection, like Motion Frequency, have an impact on whether the doorbell will actually ring if someone at my door pushes the button??

I’m sorry, but how does that make sense? It’s a doorbell, it’s primary function is to ring (what’s in a name?) when someone pushes that button! I don’t care about motion detection at all, the only thing I want it to do is notify me when someone is at my door and allow me to communicate with that person if needed.

Just now set motion frequency from standard to frequent, immediately getting a warning about battery life.