User operating Manual

I am unable to find a user manual that explains all the functions and symbols on how to actually use this door bell most effectively.

Is there a typical operating manual? (not the on line install/setup manual)

Great question @Sailor! Besides the manual that comes included in the packaging with our devices, there are also support articles on our Help Center for each of the Doorbell’s features. Check out our Doorbell Buyer’s Guide which also contains specs, instructions, and tips for each Doorbell model.

Last but not least, there is this Community, where you are more than welcome to ask a question, talk about your experience, and even share feature requests. :slight_smile:

So, it appears that you only have a installation manual not a detailed user operating manual which as a minimum should explain the symbols/task list and navigating to the various views. As it is now, I have to keep guessing and toggling to get some use out of this doorbell 2.

Hey @Sailor! Feel free to check out our help center which features guides and walkthroughs for almost any feature in our app, or for you Doorbell. If any specific questions come up, you are more than welcome to search the Community or even post here for insight :slight_smile:

Your help center does not offer anything like a detailed user manual for configuring my Ring Video Doorbell 2. All the offered manuals are installation and basic setup, not configuration. I’m trying to configure motion zones and the app user interface is non-intuitive to the point of uselessness. I did find a statement in the North American manual for my doorbell (Doorbell 2_Manual_EN.pdf) that included this statement: “First make sure you’ve configured Motion Detection and that Motion Alerts are turned on (see pg. 24)”. That manual has only 17 pages, and that statement referencing “pg. 24” is on page 17. Had I known that your documetation was so hopelessly inadequate and the app user interface was so poorly designed, I would never have purchased your product.

Hi @car377. Our Help Center also contains some helpful articles regarding the Motion Zones, which you can read more about here. You should be able to set them up within the Ring App, and it will be some trial and error to figure out what configuration works with your home best.

I already looked at your help center articles for configuring motion zones. The articles try to be one-size-fits-all-models, which results in no useful instructions for my wired Ring Video Doorbell 2. The most useless and erroneous statement I encountered was the instruction claiming that, “The app will walk you through it.” The text of the available articles implies that I can adjust the sensitivity in each motion zone using the “Edit Motion Zones” screen, but all I can do there is turn zones on and off with a single button at the bottom of each zone. There is no control to raise or lower the per-zone motion sensitivity on that screen, even though the different zones show blue highlighting at different levels for the six displayed zones. The only sensitivity control available is the single Min-Max motion slider on the Motion Sensitivity page, but it does not offer per-zone control. There are some fairly significant software bugs uncovered by the Edit Motion Zones screen: turning a zone off and back on with the provided button lowers the displayed sensitivity (blue highlighting) all the way down, but then there’s no way to bring it back up. However, sometimes doing that causes the blue highlighting in the ADJACENT zone to jump up, and exiting/returning-to the app sometimes causes the blue highlighting in all 6 zones to jump around. Your developers need to look for some uninitialized variables or scope-of-reference issues (global/static/dynamic variables) in that code. The help articles are not sufficiently detailed or accurate to take the place of a real administration manual for the app. The fact that Ring doesn’t offer one is a serious shortcoming that should motivate people to look to other vendors for their security devices.

@car377 Thank you for sharing your feedback here. At this time, there is not a feature that allows you to adjust the sensitivity of each Motion Zone individually. Since you stated you are seeing six Motion Zones, can you please follow up with our support team directly on this matter? They can help make sure you get the motion settings adjusted properly for your Doorbell and walk you through the settings step-by-step. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.