Sharing my Ring Pro Bandwidth Usage numbers

Just thought I’d share my Bandwidth usage, for anyone who wants to know what it looks like:

My Ring Pro Bandwidth Usage

Note: Your bandwidth usage may not be anything at all like mine. :wink:

6 Likes

This is great info!

Since our place off-grid doesn’t have “front door traffic” there are way less motion alerts, so I suspect our usage will be much less than your 7gb/month (hoping to be less than 6gb).

I also found that the new snapshot feature for the cameras was a potential data pig, as it was basically creating a timelapse of moments in between motion alerts - which is basically all day. I turned that off.

1 Like

UPDATE:

My off grid Ring alarm system with a 4g LTE modem is still working great! In 2 days it will have been a month since setting it up, and we have only used about 2gb of data. This is with 2 outdoor cameras, plus a Ring base station and assorted sensors. We have only checked live view maybe 10 times, and instead check the camera recordings mostly only when there is a motion alert. We will be adding 2 more cameras, and will likely start checking live view more often since we have a 6 gb/month plan.

AWESOME solution for off grid security!!

1 Like

How were you able to see your bandwidth usage?

1 Like

Hi!

I have T-mobile prepaid for the 4g LTE data service - it costs me 25 bucks/month for 6GB/month.

When I log into my account on the T-mobile site, I can check “line usage” and it shows me data use for the month. I can also click through and it will show actual uses, and how much data per use. For example, my wife watched live view for 7 minutes or so, and I could see that afterwards it was around 23mb.

I think I can also log into the modem to see data use, but I’d have to be directly connected to it. Checking via T-mobile site I can check data from anywhere.

@dflinn2002 wrote:

How were you able to see your bandwidth usage?

I have an Asus router model that has Traffic/Bandwidth monitoring features.

Hi thank you for the graph, really useful representation of usage. I’m also trying to see the data usage for my Ring Pro.

What App or program you used to generate the graph?

Thanks

> I have T-mobile prepaid for the 4g LTE data service - it costs me 25 bucks/month for 6GB/month

If Sprint is available at your location, Tello has some plans that could save you some money - 6 GB for $20, and if you don’t need the 6 GB/month, they have 4 GB for $15.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing the info, Cordcutter99!

My 7GB monthly usage in 8/2019 has gone up to about 30GB in 2/2020 (see image below).
Other than software and firmware updates that may have made the Ring Pro more sensitive and caused more recordings, I can’t think why the bandwidth usage may have increased 4-fold.

@Natey wrote:

My 7GB monthly usage in 8/2019 has gone up to about 30GB in 2/2020 (see image below).
Other than software and firmware updates that may have made the Ring Pro more sensitive and caused more recordings, I can’t think why the bandwidth usage may have increased 4-fold.

That’s a big increase! What App or program are you using for measuring bandwidth?

@Speyside wrote:

That’s a big increase! What App or program are you using for measuring bandwidth?

I have an Asus router model that has Traffic/Bandwidth monitoring features, that displays that chart for any selected device that connects to the router.

If anything, I defined a zone that reduced the area monitored for motion detection by the Ring Pro instead of the default everything. I’m going to remove that zone and use the default everything again.

If more people could contribute their bandwidth usage numbers, we’d get a better idea if the updates are making the devices upload more data.

Bandwidth usage changes as I change motion settings:

(image attached)

2/21 - 3/1: Custom (smaller) motion zone, motion sensitivity level 3.
3/2 - 3/10: Remove entire motion zone, so no motion alerts.
3/11 - 3/15: Set up motion zone for entire screen area, sensitivity level 3.
3/16 - 3/22: Reduce the sensitivity level by 1 (from the 3rd to the 2nd place on the slider)

Using Ring’s People Only Mode these days.
Had enough of all the passing cars and birds playing in front of my doorbell, lol.

A little over 5GB/month these days: see attached image. Ring Doorbell Pro bandwidth usage